Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Watts link: what, why, and who?

Search this Thread

Old 2/5/15, 08:14 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Why do these threads turn out this way. As soon as anyone asked to prove your point or want to discuss something some one has a **** fit. It is like talking to a Liberal. Do as I say not as I do and don't ask me to prove anything. GEZ I am new to this and want to learn from everyone. One of the things about reading is you do not know the context of how someone is talking to you..
Old 2/5/15, 06:53 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 13GetThere
A Watts link first got my attention as I learned what it's function was, but the Ford adjustable racing suspension package looks appealing too. Since I can't afford both at once, I was wondering which would give me the most benefit and take care of that hopping rear end the best. I'd like to thank cdynaco for his advice. It's kind of what I thought too, but I'm still open to other opinions.
I think the ford racing suspension package would be more beneficial for your wheel hop issue. I had an issue with wheel hop and its gone now. I added equipment that is similar to what is found in the ford racing package. I did also change my rear lcas too.
Old 2/6/15, 11:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Mr. V, did you ever get a Watts link and if so, which one?
Old 2/6/15, 06:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Mr. V, did you ever get a Watts link and if so, which one?
I haven't bought a watts yet. I'm a bit unsure after reading through all of this. My current set up impresses me all the time. I'm to the point I think I need to find someone local with a watts and drive it. The reviews seem to range from greatest thing ever to meh. It's a lot of money for me to end up being a meh.
Old 2/11/15, 08:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I have narrowed my choices to the Fays2 or Steeda unit. BMR is not currently in production and no time frame is set for it. I'm sure it will be a very nice piece. I would like to know if there any vendors which could supply their best shipped price for the Steeda unit please? It is expensive so any cost savings would be extremely beneficial. Please send me a PM if you can, thnx.
Old 4/30/15, 01:25 PM

I'm thinking of going for the Whiteline Watts after my BBK and wheels. Mainly due to Vorshlag's real world testing of the unit on their company race car: http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info...roducts_id=526
Old 4/30/15, 06:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
We have been doing real world testing since it has been on our Steeda #20 Race Car since 2005:

Let me know if I can help with pricing!

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 5/5/15, 02:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Cool to see Steeda built car having such great success. What shocked me most from that video was the fact that they had such a commanding lead on Nitto tires Vs. Hoosiers...wow!
Old 5/10/15, 02:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I appreciate the input by everyone here on the Watts link. When I bought my Mustang all I knew about the suspension was what Ford told me on their web site, so I got the best suspension I could afford and would fit my needs. It happened to be the Brembo package. Although it was a little different handling wise, I figured after I got used to it. When I went around a curve for the first time in the Mustang that I have taken a thousand times in other cars and trucks, and the rear end felt like it left the ground and jumped to the right (left hand curve) after going over a bump, I became concerned.
Now after some research and some miles on the Mustang I feel better, but I would still like to improve some suspension issues. A Watts link first got my attention as I learned what it's function was, but the Ford adjustable racing suspension package looks appealing too. Since I can't afford both at once, I was wondering which would give me the most benefit and take care of that hopping rear end the best.
I'd like to thank cdynaco for his advice. It's kind of what I thought too, but I'm still open to other opinions.

IMO adjustable shocks with better springs would be a better all around upgrade. I recently softened my rear shocks, Koni's with P springs, and have noticed reduced hop over bumps. Other than that the shocks and spring will reduce body sway a little and brake dive so I feel like you get more out of them than you would with just getting a WL.
Old 5/17/15, 05:32 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandon302
IMO adjustable shocks with better springs would be a better all around upgrade. I recently softened my rear shocks, Koni's with P springs, and have noticed reduced hop over bumps. Other than that the shocks and spring will reduce body sway a little and brake dive so I feel like you get more out of them than you would with just getting a WL.
If i could do it over again, i would have went with something like this^^^. Maybe add an adjustable rear swaybar. I removed my watts link yesterday because i had around 1/2 inch of movement going from a hard right trun to a hard left turn and hard left turn to hard right turn if this makes any sense . Unless you are pro trying to shave time off your laps, i would not buy a watts link. It adds a lot of extra moving parts and a lot of worries about something coming loose or breaking. Just my opinion

Last edited by David Young; 5/17/15 at 05:34 AM.
Old 5/19/15, 11:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by David Young
If i could do it over again, i would have went with something like this^^^. Maybe add an adjustable rear swaybar. I removed my watts link yesterday because i had around 1/2 inch of movement going from a hard right trun to a hard left turn and hard left turn to hard right turn if this makes any sense . Unless you are pro trying to shave time off your laps, i would not buy a watts link. It adds a lot of extra moving parts and a lot of worries about something coming loose or breaking. Just my opinion
Which Watts link did you have?
Old 6/9/15, 01:55 PM

Anyone have experience with a Roush rear sway bar, from the Performance Pack (1/2" drop), and any of the the Watts Link brands?

My friend and I measured the Whiteline watts link diff cover with propeller and it looks like there is room. But I'd like to see if I could do Steeda, Fays2, or Shelby as well without having to buy the kits to test fit.

Last edited by rs999; 6/9/15 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12/20/15, 01:10 PM
Cobra R Member

It's been awhile since I've looked at this thread and I'm back and forth on the need for a watts link on our cars. Does anyone have one on their car in Southern California? I'd like to be driven in a car with one and see what difference there is. All of the threads saying that a watts has been their best mod has me rethinking my decision to skip this mod.
Old 12/20/15, 01:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
A couple years ago I helped install a Fays2 Watts link in a buddy's '12 GT/CS with stock suspension/wheels/tires, then we went for a drive ... I was shocked how well the car took to on-ramps with the Watts being the only mod done to the car ... stock 245/45/19 Pirellis too. That rear-end was staying planted.

I swore at some point I was gonna do a Watts link on mine.

Fast forward to this year's Black Friday sales ... found a vendor willing to go even cheaper than the $467.50 that BMR's 15% off sale was bringing their Watts to, so I snagged 2 of them, one for my car and one for the girlfriend's Shelby.

Not installed yet (just got them a couple days ago), but looking forward to it.
Old 12/20/15, 02:02 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Gabe
A couple years ago I helped install a Fays2 Watts link in a buddy's '12 GT/CS with stock suspension/wheels/tires, then we went for a drive ... I was shocked how well the car took to on-ramps with the Watts being the only mod done to the car ... stock 245/45/19 Pirellis too. That rear-end was staying planted.

Fast forward to this year's Black Friday sales ... found a vendor willing to go even cheaper than the $467.50 that BMR's 15% off sale was bringing their Watts to, so I snagged 2 of them, one for my car and one for the girlfriend's Shelby.

Could you please post back here with your results after install? I am worried about noise and durability being my biggest concerns.
Old 12/20/15, 06:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. V
Could you please post back here with your results after install? I am worried about noise and durability being my biggest concerns.
Will do.

I also bought a can of Amsoil Heavy Duty Spray-On Metal Surface Protectant and a set of Seal-It rod-end boots to cover up the rod ends to try to keep dirt out of them.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...or/?code=AMHSC

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272036600984?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 12/29/15, 09:20 AM
Bullitt Member

On black friday 2011 I crashed my 07 stang with a fays2 watts. The crash was not due to the watts link. I got t-boned by a knuckehead and shoved against a concrete sidewalk. Both drivers side wheels shattered. The FAYS2 watts did not budge. I cannot think of a worse load to put on it than that. My car was a total loss.

I had close to 75k miles on my car at that point. I installed the FAYS2 at around 30k miles.

The only thing that was annoying on my watts link was I listened to my father who said I should have a competent shop put it in. They did a horrible job and the watts went through 2 sets of heim joints before I got tired of replacing them and redid the install in my driveway(less than 1 year and about 15k miles). After I did the install and aligned everything as it should have been I greased the bearings with lithium spray grease every month or so. Never had a problem again with wear.

I have not modified my current stang as of this writing but on my short list a Fays2 is in this cars future.
Old 12/29/15, 11:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts
Once I get the car up and running this winter I will be getting a Cortex Racing Watts Link and put it in when it isn't so frosty out. It is probably the best differential mount you can get. Just a few Cortex cars doing some real world testing.

From what I am hearing and what I am told there was little to no noise increase on their street kit which is a big plus in my books.

Old 12/30/15, 10:50 AM
Cobra Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I had a Fays2, which is very similar in design to the Steeda. I used it because the local autocross rules allowed me to without bumping me up into the most race-oriented class. It performed just fine, but the bell crank bolt was VERY close to contacting my rear (eibach) sway bar.

After my motor swap, my car exceeded the decibel restrictions. Since I could no longer autocross the car, I was free to replace the Fays2 with a Cortex. The cortex is lighter, and the bellcrank is bolted to the rear gear cover. This resolved the only issue I really had with the Fays2.

Cortex FTW.

I've attached ma pic of my Fays2. When I find pics on my Cortex, I'll edi this message.
Attached Thumbnails Watts link: what, why, and who?-fays_01.jpg  

Last edited by jsimmons; 12/30/15 at 11:00 AM.
Old 8/5/16, 12:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Gabe

I know it's an old thread but if Gabe or anyone else with first hand experience with a watts could post a review, that would be great. I'm looking for more input on the whiteline watts. It's bounced on and off my list for years.

Quick Reply: Watts link: what, why, and who?