Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Upgrading to 11-14 GT brakes on my 2013 V6

Search this Thread

Old 7/3/13, 10:23 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrading to 11-14 GT brakes on my 2013 V6

Does anyone have a how to thread or a list of all the part numbers needed to swap the front GT rotors and calipers onto a 2013 V6?

I know theres places around the interwebz that sell the new GT take off calipers, pads and rotors but not sure what else is needed brackets or lines?

Yes I know the Brembo is nicer but I prefer to stay at a low cost for the project and I dont want to have to buy new wheels, I will have two sets as it snows here and I will have a set for winter, I dont want to have to be running 19 in wheels in winter
Old 7/7/13, 10:00 AM
Cobra Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I just did this on my '12.

While I don't have part numbers, you can get front rotors and calipers from Roush Takeoffs for $125 - complete. Thies parts are taken off cars with no more than FIVE miles on them, so they're practically new.

All you need off the calipers is the bracket (that'll keep you from having to bleed the brakes). Since your brakes are fairly new, there's really no reason to change the pads unless you simply want to. I'd go with Hawk HPS (you can get them from AmericanMuscle).

If you DO change your pads at the same time, you'll need a couple of special tools as well:

0) A screw-type caliper piston compressor (for the front caliper) - I got one at AutoZone.

1) A pin-type caliper compression tool (for the rear caliper) - I got mine at Napa.

Changing the front rotors/caliper brackets should only take you between one and two hours.

I have a write-up on mine here:

My Brake Upgrade
Old 7/7/13, 10:05 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I thought the GT brakes were the same as V6? With the exception of Brembo of course.

Can anyone confirm?
Old 7/7/13, 10:49 AM
Cobra Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Getportfolio
I thought the GT brakes were the same as V6? With the exception of Brembo of course.

Can anyone confirm?
The *calipers* are the same. The rotors are larger on the front of the GT (the rear rotors are the same as the V6), and they therefore require the GT front caliper brackets. It's CHEAPER to buy take-off calipers from Roush (they include the brackets for $75) than to buy just the brackets new from Ford ($130 at Tousely for a pair of brackets).

Oh and by the way (and this is a BIG MUST HAVE), you MUST have 18-inch or larger wheels in order to change to GT rotors on a V6. The larger rotors will NOT clear ANY of the 17-inch wheels available.

I don't know what the wheel size requirements are for Brembos, but I would say 19's (or larger) are the safest bet. It also looks like they might fit 18's, but since I don't have a set of Brembos , I can't say for sure.

Last edited by jsimmons; 7/7/13 at 10:51 AM.
Old 7/7/13, 12:05 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by jsimmons

The *calipers* are the same. The rotors are larger on the front of the GT (the rear rotors are the same as the V6), and they therefore require the GT front caliper brackets. It's CHEAPER to buy take-off calipers from Roush (they include the brackets for $75) than to buy just the brackets new from Ford ($130 at Tousely for a pair of brackets).

Oh and by the way (and this is a BIG MUST HAVE), you MUST have 18-inch or larger wheels in order to change to GT rotors on a V6. The larger rotors will NOT clear ANY of the 17-inch wheels available.

I don't know what the wheel size requirements are for Brembos, but I would say 19's (or larger) are the safest bet. It also looks like they might fit 18's, but since I don't have a set of Brembos , I can't say for sure.
Thanks for the info. I was totally going to buy a back up set for when my original set is shot. You can't beat the roush deal anywhere.

Sadly, my summer wheels are 18s but my winter wheels are 17s.
Old 7/7/13, 12:05 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by jsimmons

There are 18s that fit the brembo brakes. The gt500 18 inch rims are an example.
Old 7/7/13, 02:16 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Getportfolio

Can anyone confirm?
The 2012 and 2013 (not sure about the 2011) V6 use the same size front rotors as the 2055-2009 GT used so that may be your confusion. The 2012 and 2013 GT has a larger rotor than the V6.

Rear brakes are exactly the same whether GT or V6. And as said, the actual calipers are the same, just a different rotor and different bracket for the larger rotor.