Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Suspension upgrade completed

Search this Thread

Old 5/25/14, 02:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension upgrade completed

Well after everyone posts about how easy it is to install new struts and springs, I pulled the trigger and decided to install my suspension parts myself. FRPP K springs, Koni Sports, Ground Control Caster plates and BMR adjustable panhard bar (Thanks Dan at Hypermotive Performance!). It took about 5 hours, but it was totally worth it. I am glad I did it and didn't spend the money for someone else to do it.

It sits about 1 inch lower all the way around. Very different car now. There is no more nose dive when braking or nose lift when hard accelerating. I can't wait to hit some twisties in the Rocky Mountains and see how she feels.

I forgot to take a before picture, but here is one from a couple of weeks ago.
Suspension upgrade completed-20140504_100538.jpg

And after the install
Suspension upgrade completed-20140524_191730-1-.jpg
Old 5/25/14, 04:35 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome!! Looks awesome, give us some feedback on ride quality after a few weeks. The k springs and Koni yellows I actually have not personally experienced. Thanks again!
Old 5/25/14, 08:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay@Hypermotive
Awesome!! Looks awesome, give us some feedback on ride quality after a few weeks. The k springs and Koni yellows I actually have not personally experienced. Thanks again!
I'll be running that same setup soon. I bought the K-Springs used from Burton. I hope they work well with the Koni Yellows.
Old 5/25/14, 06:57 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Looks great - glad the forum inspired you do do the install! It's not bad at all, and the handling improvement is fantastic.

Enjoy!
Old 5/25/14, 07:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Very nice, I will be upgrading as well sometime next year. Very interested in the ride quality for a daily driver and the handling improvement. Let us know.
Old 5/26/14, 05:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Wild5.0
Very nice, I will be upgrading as well sometime next year. Very interested in the ride quality for a daily driver and the handling improvement. Let us know.
The setup I went with is excellent on the street. No increased NVH at all, if anything I thing it feels like the suspension absorbs more, and only transmits feedback if that makes sense. No negative effects at all in my opinion.
Old 5/26/14, 08:03 PM

I have put about 75 miles on since the install. I like the way it feels, much more planted. As a DD I do not like how I can feel every seam in the pavement now, but I will make the sacrifice because I like everything else about it.

It seems like it it's easier for the tires to break free. Is that normal?

I love the stance, the drop is perfect for me. I REALLY want new wheels now, and I thought having children was expensive.
Old 5/26/14, 09:06 PM
V6 Member

Looks great! I'm actually using al of the same parts for my suspension swap, except I'm using the Steeda sport springs and throwing in some BMR lower control arms.
Old 5/26/14, 09:39 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by JIMBOBRADY
It seems like it it's easier for the tires to break free. Is that normal?

It depends, did you do anything to correct the rear suspension geometry? Pinion angle and lower control arm angle can be effected when lowering the car. The former if its rotated up and the latter if they are not at least parallel to the ground.

In combination they can lessen the amount of force acting on the rear tires making it easier to break traction.
Old 5/26/14, 10:11 PM

That is kinda what I was thinking, but I didn't know. I have not done LCA's or UCA yet. Should they be done in tandem, or can you do them separately?

Last edited by JIMBOBRADY; 5/27/14 at 07:31 AM.
Old 5/26/14, 10:44 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by JIMBOBRADY
That is kinda what I was thinking, but I didn't know. I have not done LCA's or UCA yet. Should they be done in tandem is can you do them separately?

I'd try LCA relocators before anything else. If correcting the LCA angle does the trick there is no need to go farther unless your looking at doing the LCAs as part of a comprehensive upgrade to the rear suspension.

You can also check your pinion angle to see if you need an adjustable UCA. If pinion angle isn't too far out and the relocators or relocators in conjunction with LCAs solve the traction issue then its a moot point.
Old 5/27/14, 12:10 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by bob

I'd try LCA relocators before anything else. If correcting the LCA angle does the trick there is no need to go farther unless your looking at doing the LCAs as part of a comprehensive upgrade to the rear suspension.

You can also check your pinion angle to see if you need an adjustable UCA. If pinion angle isn't too far out and the relocators or relocators in conjunction with LCAs solve the traction issue then its a moot point.
I agree with the above post. Uca can also bring some unwanted nvh. I'd start exactly as recommended above. If you do it piece by piece, you don't end up with extra parts. I did the relo brackets and lca and that made an incredible difference in my car.
Old 6/5/14, 01:35 PM

Im thinking of buying the sr springs, But Im torn should I get the steeda sport springs. I bought the koni struts, strt ones for the 2013 model.
do the sr springs compare to the steeda sport springs.
what do you think.
Also did you ever install your pan hard bar.
thanks
Shami
Old 6/5/14, 05:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by bornagain stang
Im thinking of buying the sr springs, But Im torn should I get the steeda sport springs. I bought the koni struts, strt ones for the 2013 model.
what do you think.
thanks
Shami
I can't speak for the Steeda springs - the SR ones have been great for me so far though with Koni's

I put an adjustable BMR panhard bar in and have tweaked it twice since the suspension install to get the rear axle perfectly centered.
Old 6/5/14, 10:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bornagain stang
what do you think.
thanks
Shami
I have the Steeda Sports combined with the Koni St.rts. They are stiff in the corners, in a good way. The car sits about 1.25" lower in the front and 1.5" in the back than stock. I also have J&M LCAs.

They are an awesome combination to say the least. Steeda makes an excellent product. You wouldn't be disappointed with this setup.

Last edited by KushBandit; 6/5/14 at 10:37 PM.