Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Suspension gurus, are lca relo brackets bad for auto-x/HPDEs?

Search this Thread

Old 2/17/14, 11:14 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Suspension gurus, are lca relo brackets bad for auto-x/HPDEs?

I ask because while grabbing a set of LCAs from Metco, I planned on grabbing a set of their relo brackets but found this bit of info on their relocation bracket page.

"These brackets are recommended for vehicles used primarily in drag race applications, and are generally not recommended for vehicles used exclusively in street applications or vehicles used for autocrossing or road racing. As anti-squat is increased, anti-dive characteristics will increase and some vehicles may experience instability during hard, high-speed braking."

This made sense to me so I installed the LCAs without the brackets. I don't plan on dragging the car but do participate in HPDEs.

What are your thoughts on the above statement considering the general advice on the forums is if you're lowered, relo brackets are needed regardless of the cars intended use?
Old 2/17/14, 11:57 AM
Cobra Member

Hmm..I have ever heard that but I would like to know also.
Old 2/17/14, 01:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
You know a lot of people do say you need the relow brackets with a lowered car. But there are tons of lowered cars out there that don't use them and run out just fine. I had a set on my car but couldn't tell the difference between having them on and not having them on.... so I don't use them.
Old 2/17/14, 01:10 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
While I am no expert, I believe this is related to how you set your relos. I set mine to be as close to parallel as possible. The angle you get from lowering without them creates a slight loss of traction. If you set it the opposite way, it would give you an increase that would benefit drag racers. Parallel would be best for daily and road courses.
Old 2/17/14, 04:45 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
While I am no expert, I believe this is related to how you set your relos. I set mine to be as close to parallel as possible. The angle you get from lowering without them creates a slight loss of traction. If you set it the opposite way, it would give you an increase that would benefit drag racers. Parallel would be best for daily and road courses.
This, if they are too low you would probably spin plus I have heard you can get roll steer I believe from having them too low. It all depends on how you setup your car.
Old 2/17/14, 04:54 PM
Bullitt Member

I asked this same question, in a different way, and never got an answer, so apparently it is not something people consider or maybe the Relo brackets are worthless?
Old 2/17/14, 05:39 PM
GT Member

if you arent lowered more than an inch the relocation brackets likely are a waste
Old 2/17/14, 05:42 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hear you want them level for road racing, angled downward for drag racing.
Old 2/18/14, 04:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is really more of a car-by-car issue I believe, it has to do with how much traction you need in the rear. There are some very fast Mustang track cars that use the Relocation Brackets (including Kenny Brown's car, which I think is the fastest right now) and ones that do not. Depends on how your entire suspension is set up, as well as how much power you are putting down, as well as your driving style somewhat.

I see that you're using Eibach Sportlines, which go pretty low, so likely they would help with your rear traction.

I would try it without the brackets and see if you have problems putting power down, if so then add the brackets and tune accordingly.
Old 2/19/14, 08:15 AM
GT Member

Thanks for all of the advice!
Old 2/19/14, 10:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. V
very useful information.