Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

screaming mad hawk pads on tps rotors.

Search this Thread

Old 5/27/13, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
screaming mad hawk pads on tps rotors.

About a month ago I replaced the front and rear brake pads with hawk performance ceramic street pads and slotted rotors and the nightmares started. While I was burnishing the new pads like the instructions say the front let out a howl like a dump truck makes coming to a stop. After I let them cool down for an hour while I cleaned up my tool mess I took the car for a ride and it was fine until the next weekend, we went on a 2 hour drive and then the howl was back every time I'd stop.since then I got another front set of hawk pcs pads and the same thing is happening again after about a week of driving.I've talk to guys from where I purchased the parts from and they telling me that something is wrong with the car and not the parts.So yesterday I took the rotors off and sanded them down and made sure that there was no imperfections/discoloration where the pads make contact. I cleaned the glaze off the pads and coated them with disc brake quiet from bg then reinstalled them with the proper lube on the back of the pads. No such luck the howl still there. I bought these pads cause of the great reviews on how quiet and little dust they make over the stock brembo pads. I'm stuck on what I should do next and any help would be awesome.thanks. John.
Old 5/27/13, 07:30 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Did you have the rotors turned as well? I know some of the pads are prone to squealing, no matter what, due to the compounds, but I think that was just the race pads. Hopefully someone else can be more helpful.
Old 5/28/13, 04:32 AM

No I didn't have the new rotors turned but I'm thinking about having the stock rotors turned this week and put them back on and probably buy a different brand of brake pads. I'm hoping to return everything and be done with it. I noticed yesterday if I come up on a stop light or sign and just stand on the brakes its quiet, if I slowly apply the brakes is when I get the noise. After a month of messing with this crap I can deal with the brake dust the brembo pads put off.
Old 5/28/13, 09:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Usually noise like that is caused by the brake pad. Typically a more aggressive pad wil make unpleasant sounds.(A price for better performance) But since those are designed to run quiet...I am not sure that's the case. One way to find out is to get some different pads. Maybe try the Hawk HPS...that is a pretty common choice as a aftermarket upgrade for street cars.
Old 5/28/13, 10:12 AM

Thanks for the input. Right now America muscle doesn't want to send me any more pads until I talk to guys over at hawk. I tried for two hours on Friday but didn't speak to a person. I will try again when I get off work today. Nothing sucks the cool out of a car like brake noises.
Old 5/28/13, 11:41 AM

Well I just talked to hawk and said I should be using hps pads and America muscle is sending me them. I love good customer service.
Old 5/28/13, 11:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by just4fun
Well I just talked to hawk and said I should be using hps pads and America muscle is sending me them. I love good customer service.
For sure! Hopefully that does the trick.
Old 5/28/13, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by ConeBoss

For sure! Hopefully that does the trick.
I hope. I'm waiting for the place where I got the rotors to call me back. The guy from hawk told to put the stock rotors back on the car.
Old 5/28/13, 04:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Had the hps pads in my 01 camaro ss,Super quiet,you will be happy with them and dont touch the rotors!
Old 5/28/13, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Ponywars
Had the hps pads in my 01 camaro ss,Super quiet,you will be happy with them and dont touch the rotors!
Ok good. So your saying to leave the Tps rotors on the car.
Old 5/29/13, 12:07 AM
GT Member

HPS front pads here, very quiet. Cant say they're any better than stock brembo pads though.

Why did you buy rotors and pads, were yours worn out? Mileage?
Old 5/29/13, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by Ross
HPS front pads here, very quiet. Cant say they're any better than stock brembo pads though.

Why did you buy rotors and pads, were yours worn out? Mileage?
Was getting tired of the brembo dust and
It was time for rear pads. I was thinking while I was there changing the pads how about a better looking rotor, boy did I cause my own nightmare.
Old 5/29/13, 06:09 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

You'll like the HPS's, those and brakes dust make a pretty good pad for street/track. Very little dust also.
Old 5/29/13, 07:31 AM

That's what I'm hoping for. At this point ill take the dust over the noise.
Old 5/29/13, 10:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

When you put the new pads in DONT do a repeated stop from different speed break in!!Just drive it easy for a couple hundred miles and let them break in to the rotors by themselves.
Old 5/30/13, 02:47 AM

When you put the new pads in DONT do a repeated stop from different speed break in!!Just drive it easy for a couple hundred miles and let them break in to the rotors by themselves.
Ok ill do that. Hopefully ill be doing the change tonight.thanks for the heads up.
Old 5/30/13, 05:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I would suggest against this, simply because the manufacturer probably has different bedding procedures. I would follow those over someones recommendation.
Old 5/30/13, 05:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

I,ve been through this at least ten times with my cars,every time i did it by the manufactures way i got a pulsing pedal sooner or later!! Everytime i broke them in like it was a new car i never had any kind of problems at all!!!PLEASE take my advice.
Old 5/30/13, 08:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I,ve been through this at least ten times with my cars,every time i did it by the manufactures way i got a pulsing pedal sooner or later!! Everytime i broke them in like it was a new car i never had any kind of problems at all!!!PLEASE take my advice.
Do what you will, though I can't see why the manufacturer would suggest their bedding procedure for their pads if there was a better way of doing it.
Old 5/30/13, 08:15 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I,ve been through this at least ten times with my cars,every time i did it by the manufactures way i got a pulsing pedal sooner or later!!
a pulsing pedal is due to uneven build-up of pad material on the rotor.

I followed Hawk's bedding procedure and haven't had a problem with them pulsing but I've got a good place to do it out on the Colonial Parkway near York Town and Williamsburg.

At night its fairly deserted so a proper break in can be done, everywhere else unless its about 3am I've found it to busy or inconvenient to break them in properly

Quick Reply: screaming mad hawk pads on tps rotors.