Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Rolling squeak

Search this Thread

Old 4/4/14, 02:01 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rolling squeak

I have been noticing a squeak while driving around 25 mph and it only happens when I'm steering just to the right of center. Once I go faster it's not there. When I'm just left of center it's not there either. I'm going to investigate soon. I was pushing it a little hard on a back twisty the other day and hit a sharp right hander. Mid corner I felt like either the tire folded under the wheel a little or something gave way. I'm pretty sure that I was hearing that before then though. I have been driving with my window down listening to the glorious exhaust sounds coming from the rear of my car since installing the new exhaust. I still haven't gotten my front LCA's fix done at the dealership.

Ideas?
Old 4/4/14, 03:12 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like the squeak from the front LCA's. I would go ahead and get them replaced at ford and see if that fixes it
Old 4/4/14, 05:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Possibly a hanging up brake caliper or sticky pad?
Old 4/4/14, 09:37 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by lakeguy77
Possibly a hanging up brake caliper or sticky pad?
Could be that too. That happened to my rear brakes. Some how rubber chunks from the drag strip got hung in my rear pads and caused a squealing. My dealer replaced my rear pads and disks. But your brakes only have a 1 yr 18,000 mile warranty according to my dealership. They covered my repair as a one time courtesy.
Old 4/4/14, 02:28 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I'm past a year already. Could be a wonky pad or something. Going over speed bumps is like I'm driving a 76 Coupe DeVille. I might just get new pads and upgrade to Hawk HPS pads.
Old 4/5/14, 07:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
I'm past a year already. Could be a wonky pad or something. Going over speed bumps is like I'm driving a 76 Coupe DeVille. I might just get new pads and upgrade to Hawk HPS pads.
Coming from the Subaru world where there are Brembo's everywhere, I can say that the HPS pads are a nice upgrade, but you might want to consider the StopTech Street pads and a nice set of slotted rotors. Makes a world of difference with Brembo's. The pads on OE Brembo fitments are noisy and chew up the rotors pretty good. We don't even look at OE pad/rotor replacements on the Brembo cars. Hawk or StopTech are the top two candidates. Our local Subaru dealer even stocks StopTech street pads and PowerSlot/StopTech slotted rotors for the STI's that come with Brembo's from the factory.

I personally put the StopTech pads on my cars, Brembo's or not, they're just really nice. Low dust, very low noise, great stopping power. I'm going to drive my Mustang until the pads are done (or until they **** me off enough that I can't take it anymore) and then make the switch to StopTech.
Old 4/6/14, 03:19 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Thanks for the info on the StopTech pads and rotors. They are actually on my mod list. I want slotted rotors. A friend with a Nurburgring prepped M3 Coupe just did the front upgrade to StopTechs and they are insane.
Old 4/6/14, 08:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'd also stay away from "drilled" rotors. True drilled rotors (like Porsche or Ferrari use) aren't actually drilled but cast with the holes. Cheaper drilled rotors are actually drilled out, which weakens the rotors, and you can develop cracks between the holes. Unless you're spending a TON of cash on the rotors, stick with slotted only. When it comes to brakes, function over form every time.
Old 4/8/14, 11:24 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
I have been noticing a squeak while driving around 25 mph and it only happens when I'm steering just to the right of center. Once I go faster it's not there. When I'm just left of center it's not there either. I'm going to investigate soon. I was pushing it a little hard on a back twisty the other day and hit a sharp right hander. Mid corner I felt like either the tire folded under the wheel a little or something gave way. I'm pretty sure that I was hearing that before then though. I have been driving with my window down listening to the glorious exhaust sounds coming from the rear of my car since installing the new exhaust. I still haven't gotten my front LCA's fix done at the dealership.

Ideas?
Please make an appointment with your Ford Dealer so they can diagnose the noise, Stevedotmil. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate it for you.

Deysha
Old 4/14/14, 01:47 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I'm going to try and find the Ford dealer that has been recommended to me by my mustang buddies here in Germany.