Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Putting the power down

Old 11/20/17, 07:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Putting the power down

So I have been noticing a lot since I put my Mickey Thompson Street comp tires on that I just cannot put the power down when taking off. Constant tire spinning and the rear wanting to come around. I have 305s in the rear and at a pressure of 30psi for running around town. Traction control doesn't step in which is a little weird but I am unsure if having it tuned makes a difference. That and both tires are spinning so maybe it doesn't sense a "slip".

What suspension part would help the most? I am running stock suspension and while I would love a full suspension, it is not within my budget.

Maybe I should run the tires at a much lower PSI?

Thanks!
Old 11/20/17, 08:31 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
TCS should still kick in, because it looks at the difference in front wheel speeds versus the rears.

How are you launching it? I don't get much spin if I step off the clutch in about 0.3s at 2200 rpm. (and this is with 225 width tires). Then I roll onto the throttle smoothly and not at a super fast rate. Otherwise I'll launch hard, but then just spin when the motor gets to mid to high RPM.

But if I want to make smoke I rev it to 4000 and side step the clutch then modulate throttle.
Old 11/20/17, 08:35 AM
Bullitt Member

I just take off like, not launching it but if for instance I want to pull into traffic and traffic is moving a bit fast so I want to accelerate quickly. The 1 to 2 shift causes it to spin. Thats shifting at a high RPM. Now I know people are able to put the power down in GTs so I am thinking it is tires/tire pressure. TCS kicks in when it is raining but thats about it. I can't launch from 2200rpm without spinning at the drag strip which is why I don't go anymore. Just doesn't stick.

I know others have these tires so hopefully someone has more experience with them?
Old 11/20/17, 06:42 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
I think something is up with your tires as well. 305s should be way more hooked up. How many miles do you have on them?

My Hankook Ventus RS-3 were pretty skiddish with 300 miles on them when I hit the track for the first time. Took a few 20 min sessions of heat cycling and then cooling overnight before the grip set in. It was a crazy loose ride till then.

Hopefully some other MT users can chime in.
Old 11/21/17, 04:53 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
I don't have very good traction with my v6 too (255/45-18). When I had my local Ford dealer change my rear gears from 3.31 to 3.73 they added 2 bottles (8 oz) of 'friction modifier to the gear lube. They told me it was for a better 'break in' of the gears. When I was going to change to gear lube, I did a good brake stand burnout . One tire didn't spin, after researching I found 2 bottles of friction modifier causes this. I changed the gear lube and only added 3 oz of the 4 oz bottle to the lube, I now have 2 wheel peel but still don't have very good traction
Old 11/21/17, 06:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
I think something is up with your tires as well. 305s should be way more hooked up. How many miles do you have on them?

My Hankook Ventus RS-3 were pretty skiddish with 300 miles on them when I hit the track for the first time. Took a few 20 min sessions of heat cycling and then cooling overnight before the grip set in. It was a crazy loose ride till then.

Hopefully some other MT users can chime in.

I would agree, there is something wrong with your tires. My first set of replacement tires were the Cooper Zeon's (MT's) on stock wheels. 19x255, and I didnt have wheel spin. I would spin if I launched hard and went to WOT quickly. They would chirp going into 2nd and 3rd but no spin. That I recall.

I run about 35 lbs of pressure. What does the wear look like? You have a wide tire on a 10 inch wheel. I wonder if it could be a fitment issue and you arent getting a good contact patch?
Old 11/21/17, 07:09 AM
Bullitt Member

I'll have to take pics of them when I get home but they appear to fit well and was within spec on MT's site. They have about 4-6,000 miles on them now as they have been to the tail of the dragon and back to Tampa, FL twice. I was really hoping for more grip but I am thinking maybe the suspension isn't transferring the weight enough? I am not getting wheel hop and I know both tires are spinning as my tail is coming around.

Again, TCS is not kicking in at all. GTs have much more power and can just scoot while I am having traction issues. Its been going on for a while but I am tired of it. While I like being able to kick it loose when I want, it shouldn't be this difficult to get grip.

They handled the dragon really well. I have 255s of the same MTs up front. Very few times was I concerned about my back losing grip. The bank on the curves help a lot and you really aren't going extremely fast to begin with.

Search this Thread