Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

[Preliminary] Review of Suspension and Shifter Mods: Steeda, Whiteline, & Koni

Search this Thread

Old 3/22/13 | 07:50 PM
Bullitt Member

[Preliminary] Review of Suspension and Shifter Mods: Steeda, Whiteline, & Koni

So many interrelated components went on today, it would be almost impossible for me to describe each piece’s individual contribution towards the total effect. That never stopped me before! Let’s get into this. Here’s the list:

Steeda: Sport Springs, Shifter Bracket with Black Bushing
Whiteline: UCA, LCAs, Panhard Rod, Panhard Rod Brace
Koni: Str.t
Ford Racing: GT500 Strut Mounts

Steeda Shift Bracket with Black Bushing
As you know, the stock shifter isn’t bad. It isn’t great, either. In all fairness, I’ve never driven a car with a remotely mounted shift box that performed on par with those that were mounted on the tranny itself. It’s just not a fair comparison.

I was initially going to go with the Red Bushing, but the Black one was mounted by mistake. What a glorious mistake! Do not be fooled – this will not transform the shift feel into that of a Miata, Gen II Mr2, or S2000. There will be no metallic “snick-snick”, but instead, a solid “thunk”. You will be provided with much-improved shift performance while retaining the factory length throw.

By performance, I mean that the lateral, in-gate movement of the shift lever will be almost nonexistent and you will no longer have trouble finding the gate under heavy throttle. I can now locate second and third gears where I expect them to be.

The bonus is this – if there is added noise, I surely don’t hear it above the din of the car in motion. This was completely worth the money and I highly recommend this mod for those of you that are mostly happy with the factory shifter, but frustrated by its performance under hard throttle.

Suspension
Before I get into anything else I want to post something about the Koni Str.t that I have never seen posted. My tech almost called me to say he wasn’t going to install the Konis. He is thorough enough to test the shocks/struts pre-install to avoid placing a defective part on a customer’s vehicle. During his testing, he discovered that each of the Koni units had differing levels of compression and rebound. He thought they were defective, so he called Koni to verify his findings.

The tech stated that this was actually normal behavior because the gas charge in these struts is at low pressure, so some variances are within tolerance. The tech told me that he probably would’ve kept the stock rear shocks on the car if it were his, because he found them firmer. He installed them anyway banking on Koni’s information. I banked on the lack of this information online as sufficient evidence that this is just how it is with these orange pumpers.

All of the pieces that were installed today work as a system, and they all seem to play nice together. With all of the Whiteline gear out back, the rear end feels like it’s carving grooves into the cement around corners. As I was exiting a tight corner, I gave it full throttle in second gear, a maneuver that would normally cause my wheels to spin a bit. This time, the car fiercely clawed its way around and out of the corner. It completely caught me off guard. I’ve never driven a car that can exit a corner with such *****. In fact, I didn’t even feel the car take a set around the corner, it just did what I wanted it to do. Maybe those rear shocks aren’t as soft as we thought.

I think the Whiteline gear really gives the car a sense of unity out back. Ford worked miracles to engineer the rear suspension with that stick and its 3rd link. They probably sold their souls to the Devil, putting them in the same exit line as their Salesmen. No matter. Stock, I highly doubt anyone could tell the difference between this axle and a McPherson rig. The new components just take it all to the next level – while maintaining comfort on the highway – how does that even coincide?

Noise Levels
Here’s what I’m hearing – on the roads out here in Southern California, you can traverse the smoothest of blacktops, the roughest of “under construction/pre-pour” concrete, and that conglomerate with the pebbles mixed in, all in the same drive. I was actually able to hit all of this on the way home this evening and on rough surfaces, there’s a little more tire noise. Also, during acceleration, I seem to be able to feel the rumble of my exhaust more. This could be psychosomatic, but I’m experiencing it. But! Even with all of the parts I have added, the total increase seems inconsequential and noninvasive.

I am not detecting any additional powertrain/driveline noise while accelerating or while at speed on the highway. I think when I’m throttling up in 3rd gear, I can detect something, but I honestly can’t tell you if it was present before – that’s how civil this **** is that I’m referring to.

Overall Impressions
The car looks great - perfectly symmetrical wheel gap from front to back. I can still bump my tires on parking lot bumpers without nailing the lower fascia. I'll post pics soon. I do like this new look, but I also love the stock raked look.

The car no longer floats on the highway, nor does it squat or dive under hard throttle or braking. The body feels like its movements are in perfect sync with the wheels – and the wheels feel as though they have become one with the road.

For the record, I have driven sports cars whose sole purposes have been handling. The Mustang GT is now giving me that feeling that my S2000 and former MR2s have given me – that feeling of weightlessness and control. The Ford will never approach the two former cars in terms of visceral feedback from the steering wheel, but I can live with good steering feel provided the suspension is up to the task. What we have now is a balanced car that feels like a proper sports coupe. The output can now be harnessed and applied by the suspension. What more can you ask for?

I’m going to be keeping my eyes out for those Koni shocks out back. Keep them in line. Make sure they don’t act up.

Last edited by fdesalvo; 3/22/13 at 08:00 PM.
Old 3/22/13 | 08:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Great review! I considered the whiteline stuff myself. I have heard only good things about them. Your review reinforces that. Enjoy it! You picked a great set up.
Old 3/22/13 | 08:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
Great review! I considered the whiteline stuff myself. I have heard only good things about them. Your review reinforces that. Enjoy it! You picked a great set up.
Thanks! I have the earlier gen LCAS where they adjust from the center. Nothing negative to report. Just crazy traction out of corners and on straights. Haha the tech said, "ok you're finished. Don't touch anything else" lol.
Old 3/22/13 | 10:55 PM
GT Member

Awesome Frank! I've been leaning towards all BMR. Stuff but, whiteline is gaining favor with me.

Who did your install?
Old 3/22/13 | 11:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

I,m a little confused about the Koni Str.t,s,do you like them or is there a problem with them.
Old 3/23/13 | 01:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JVasser
Awesome Frank! I've been leaning towards all BMR. Stuff but, whiteline is gaining favor with me.

Who did your install?
Both good brands! I used Hillbank in irvine.

Originally Posted by Ponywars
I,m a little confused about the Koni Str.t,s,do you like them or is there a problem with them.
So far so good, but I didn't get to push it much. I had a trunk full of loose take off parts. I did some research and it looks like most people have found that these shocks are very weak when u cycle them by manually. They say if you were to try pumping them quickly, you'd find resistance. I'll see with a few miles.
Old 3/23/13 | 10:52 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Great write up and feedback!

If anyone is looking for some Steeda suspension parts anything for your Mustang ... Steeda is currently offering 10% off all Steeda manufactured parts.

Let me know if I can help assist!!

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 3/23/13 | 11:29 AM
Bullitt Member

TJ stop taunting me! You know I'm still miffed about narrowly missing the sale window!

The Konis seem really nice! I had the chance to throw a few curves at the car this am. I'm really liking it.

Old 3/23/13 | 11:40 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Nice pics, looks like you need to ziptie your parking brake though so it isn't hanging in the wind.
Old 3/23/13 | 12:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Brandon302
Nice pics, looks like you need to ziptie your parking brake though so it isn't hanging in the wind.
Ol' bionic eye! Thank u. I will do so today.
Old 3/23/13 | 12:24 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by fdesalvo
Ol' bionic eye! Thank u. I will do so today.
Ha np, I did the same on my LCA's and just left it some slack so during travel it wouldn't bind.
Old 3/23/13 | 12:27 PM
Bullitt Member

lol

(adding more characters)
Old 3/23/13 | 03:30 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by fdesalvo
Both good brands! I used Hillbank in irvine.

So far so good, but I didn't get to push it much. I had a trunk full of loose take off parts. I did some research and it looks like most people have found that these shocks are very weak when u cycle them by manually. They say if you were to try pumping them quickly, you'd find resistance. I'll see with a few miles.
Awesome! Thanks Frank! The guy I met at the Hooters cruise a few weeks ago got his installs done there as well. Reasonably priced? He had good things to say...
Old 3/23/13 | 03:31 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Great write up and feedback!

If anyone is looking for some Steeda suspension parts anything for your Mustang ... Steeda is currently offering 10% off all Steeda manufactured parts.

Let me know if I can help assist!!

Best Regards,

TJ
Not to high jack the thread, but TJ does the 10% and the forum discount work with each other for this?
Old 3/23/13 | 04:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JVasser
Awesome! Thanks Frank! The guy I met at the Hooters cruise a few weeks ago got his installs done there as well. Reasonably priced? He had good things to say...
Way reasonable for what you get. On par with most. The thing is this place has a load of Mustang experience under their belts.
Old 3/24/13 | 12:17 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Next time hit me up for Steeda parts ... I will make sure you get a discount code!

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 3/24/13 | 12:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Next time hit me up for Steeda parts ... I will make sure you get a discount code!

Best Regards,

TJ
Will do. Just busting your bearings .
Old 3/25/13 | 07:21 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Lol, no worries. I am here to serve!

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 3/25/13 | 07:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Lol, no worries. I am here to serve!

Best Regards,

TJ
I'm here to swerve!
Old 3/25/13 | 11:27 PM
Bullitt Member

**** digging the black bushing. Tempted to keep it in, but want to try the red guy.

Quick Reply: [Preliminary] Review of Suspension and Shifter Mods: Steeda, Whiteline, & Koni