Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Need some info on wheels. Considering F14's

Search this Thread

Old 11/1/13, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some info on wheels. Considering F14's

So I’m planning to install some wheels, but I have no knowledge whatsoever when it comes to these things. IDK what I’m gonna do when I’ll to change the tires even! So please folks, bear with my ignorance.

Now I want to know what the pros/cons of running 20’s for a daily driven car on Eibach Pros. Are 19’s a better choice? Put in mind I don’t want any rubbing.

Second, since I will doing some autocross, I want a wheel set up good for both street and track, maybe even a few drag runs here and there. So what would suitable for this? 19’s? 20’s? or should I keep my lousy ugly pony package year-2000-when-chrome-was-cool wheels just incase?
Would it be advisable to keep switching on a regular basis for tracks given the car would be lowered? Would the suspension be affected?

The rims in question are Forgestar F14’s. I don’t know what setup to go with in terms of rim width. What would the difference between 9 and 9.5 in the front or 10 vs 11 in the back? I know what they mean, but I can’t put my finger on “how” they will look different. (See how ignorant I am in the ways of the wheel?!) I know the whole concave idea, but I still don’t know how concave-ness is related to offset and wheel width.

Bear with my ignorance folks. Also, please post pics to better demonstrate your selection if they are of similar caliber!
Either way, would these work for a 2011 Mustang GT ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/19-INCH-FORGESTAR-F14-Concave-Forged-Wheels-Rims-Infiniti-G37-Hyundai-Genesis-/221308273864?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Wheels&hash=item33870044c8&vxp=mtr
Old 11/1/13, 01:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
What's on the car now ?
19's have limited tire sizes, 20's look great but are heavier. For autocross most people seem to go with 18's because of weight and they have more available tire sizes.
You can fit 10 to 11" wide wheels all the way around, it all depends on the offset.

Edit; I don't think those in your link will fit correctly due to the offset.

Last edited by Black Fire; 11/1/13 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11/1/13, 01:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

For an autoX you will want the smallest lightest wheel that will fit over the Brembo's which is an 18 with a +43 or so offset I believe. Smaller lighter wheels should increase steering response. As for not wanting to rub neither a 19 or a 20 will rub, the 20 will raise the car about an inch however.
Old 11/6/13, 01:21 PM
Bullitt Member

+1 for 18" for Auto-X...but I would temper that with if you are only a casual Auto-X'er that buying dedicated wheels/tires may be overkill.

That said the F14 is a decent wheel but wouldn't be my first choice based on its specs compared to say the Enkei PF01. The PF01 is lighter and a littler wider too allowing you to mount wider tires.
The PF01 based on construction techniques may not be as strong. However since the wheel is made in Japan where there are governmental controls in place to ensure wheel strength.(no standards exist in the U.S) Also, having run these wheels on my Stang I can vouch for their ability to handle Auto-X and track conditions with no issue...even after being damaged they continue to function fine.
Old 11/6/13, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by ConeBoss
+1 for 18" for Auto-X...but I would temper that with if you are only a casual Auto-X'er that buying dedicated wheels/tires may be overkill. That said the F14 is a decent wheel but wouldn't be my first choice based on its specs compared to say the Enkei PF01. The PF01 is lighter and a littler wider too allowing you to mount wider tires. The PF01 based on construction techniques may not be as strong. However since the wheel is made in Japan where there are governmental controls in place to ensure wheel strength.(no standards exist in the U.S) Also, having run these wheels on my Stang I can vouch for their ability to handle Auto-X and track conditions with no issue...even after being damaged they continue to function fine.
I decided to go with 20's. I dont see the track alot since their rules are stringent here in socal (never have i seen folks not wanting to take my money)

Im actually thinking of keeping my stock lame chrome pony package wheels as track only wheels, but im still doing research on the tire selection allowed on them. 300-400 bucks for them sold makes no sense to me.

What do u think the maximum offset for 20x9 fronts and 20x10.5 in the back? Alot of threads on this matter but no one is giving any offsets, not even Forgestar (policy).
Old 11/7/13, 10:08 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shoot me a pm, we can hook you up with offsets and sizing on custom wheels.
Old 11/14/13, 11:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Depending on your budget you may want to look into a set of CCW wheels. They will make whatever you need and they have a wide range of really nice looking, high quality and light weight wheels. For 20" wheels in that width expect to pay around 800 a wheel...