Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Koni STR.T, SR springs, GT500 mounts - review after track day

Search this Thread

Old 5/22/14, 07:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dmichaels
Nice - I'm amazed at what the mustang can do with fairly minimal modifications. Hope to see se video footage once you get yours out there
Yes Bud, next one it will be on September, and I will be ready for those German cars.
Old 5/22/14, 07:35 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
The mustang did very well. I let him by at the end just to change things up a bit and try following him for a few laps. I love when I get another person basically equally matched. Makes for a very fun session

Headed to the new road course near my house in a couple weeks. Looking forward to getting out again. Considering the sways and control arms, we'll see.

Glad this thread has been helpful to a few people!
Old 5/26/14, 06:11 AM
CVH
Bullitt Member

I have a similar setup.
gt500 mounts '10 koni strt shocks/struts, SR springs, adjustable Eibach sways front and rear, whiteline tower brace, shelby rear upper brace.
I am running Shelby CS1 20x11 - 295/30/20 rear , 20x9 - 255/35/20 front
I can confirm it is a great setup!
Good to see a similar setup on the track.
Attached Thumbnails Koni STR.T, SR springs, GT500 mounts - review after track day-image.jpg  
Old 5/26/14, 08:09 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

^ Very nice - I do like the look of those grills too, probably will change mine out as I push the car harder and harder... nice high flow grills to improve cooling

Anyways, glad your impressions of the suspension are similar. Just wish I could get the car out more to enjoy it!

Just ordered a front splitter (functional one) yesterday too, hoping for a bit more front grip in the high speed corners. And I'll be honest - I love how it looks
Old 5/26/14, 09:29 AM
CVH
Bullitt Member

Those are the factory MCA grille, I painted them black to match the wheels, and removed the emblem. I am thinking of a nice high flow Roush grille setup myself. Just ordered the Roush splitter should be here this week. What splitter are you thinking of going with?
Back to the suspension, I have an appointment with Steeda this weekend to install LCA, adjustable UCA, mounts, relo-brackets, and a couple other goodies. The springs put it low enough to where my pinion angle needs adjusted slightly. Plus they will be swapping out the end with a 3.55 ratio, so I will need the grip!
Your car looks good on the track, you can definitely see a huge improvement in body roll. Sways bars make a hug difference as well
Here is another angle to see the height:
Attached Thumbnails Koni STR.T, SR springs, GT500 mounts - review after track day-image.jpg  
Old 5/26/14, 12:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Love the picture.

Going for the full suspension upgrades huh? Thats on my 'to-do' list as well, just a matter of funding. I put a good deal of $ into track days for "driver modification" and the car as is does really well. Future upgrades will fine tune it.

I'm going with the Stillen Generation 1 splitter - looks to be as close to the Boss Laguna Seca splitter as possible without spending big $$$.

I wish I had 3.55's in my car. The 3.73's are too short for what I do with it. Although it is convenient to leave it in 4th gear for the majority of most of the tracks I currently drive at...

The video taken from the M3 behind me was fun for me to watch as it helped verify the car's handling. Visually it looked planted and controlled, which is what I felt from behind the wheel too.

Next outing in just over 3 weeks... hopefully I'll have the splitter on then too. Trend this year is becoming new modifications to the car before every event... I think I have a spending problem
Old 5/26/14, 04:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Thumbs up

Get your adjustable sway bars. I also have the 3.73 gear I also which I had the stock or the 3.55 gear for the track.
Enjoy!
Old 6/2/14, 05:00 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You have just convinced me to go with the STR-T's instead of the yellows. I don't NEED the adjustability at my current skill level. This thread has been very helpful.

Last edited by Stevedotmil; 6/2/14 at 05:03 AM.
Old 6/2/14, 04:43 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
You have just convinced me to go with the STR-T's instead of the yellows. I don't NEED the adjustability at my current skill level. This thread has been very helpful.
Glad to help. I had the same debate until I talked with a friend at a track day in April. He is definitely a quicker driver than myself with a similarly set up mustang. Did not have adjustable on his car but convinced me an upgrade over OEM with a non adjustable setup was excellent and plenty good for a while. After installing and testing i am very happy I listened to his advice!! Glad I can pass along my input and help.

Just over 2 weeks till the car gets out again... New splitter should be on by then
Old 6/4/14, 11:29 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I'm anxious to see what the splitter looks like as well.
Old 6/5/14, 11:05 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
I'm anxious to see what the splitter looks like as well.
Me too. Should go on this weekend...
Old 6/7/14, 06:09 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Awesome!
Old 6/7/14, 02:43 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by dmichaels
Me too. Should go on this weekend...
Installed Posted in a separate thread.

Splitter installation thread
Old 6/8/14, 07:01 PM
Bullitt Member

CVH! I thought I was the only one who removed the Pony tri-bar from the MCA grille and painted the grille black.

I went autocrossing with my BMR/Koni STR.T setup and it kicked butt. There was a Brembo GT running also and he was a lot more 'boaty' through the turns. My car was noticeably flatter. It was my first autocross and I believe his second. We were within 1 second of each other's lap times.
Old 6/8/14, 07:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Obligatory shot of my painted MCA grille while at the autocross.

Name:  4V5TCxX.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  67.0 KB
Old 6/9/14, 07:10 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by RubyRedMCA_Beast
CVH! I thought I was the only one who removed the Pony tri-bar from the MCA grille and painted the grille black.

I went autocrossing with my BMR/Koni STR.T setup and it kicked butt. There was a Brembo GT running also and he was a lot more 'boaty' through the turns. My car was noticeably flatter. It was my first autocross and I believe his second. We were within 1 second of each other's lap times.
Nice! That sounds like a great comparison - I had a similar experience at Watkins Glen last year... friend had a 2012 GT Brembo on Eibach suspension back when I was on OEM suspension. There were a bunch of photos taken at the same corners by a photographer and his car was MUCH flatter through them. That first inspired me to really start thinking about suspension

I just noticed something on my car which I found interesting. The passenger side is sitting almost 1/2" lower than the right side with the car unloaded on 1/4 tank of gas. I think with just me in the passenger seat, my weight brings LHS to RHS front to within 1/4" ride height, but I'm still a bit surprised at the difference. Anyone else have this difference?