Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

J&M Adjustable Caster Camber Plates

Search this Thread

Old 3/8/16, 04:01 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
J&M Adjustable Caster Camber Plates

Anyone using J&M Adjustable Caster Camber Plates? I have a 2011 GT. My speed shop says I really need CC plates now. Did not originally - I've gone four years without CC plates. I have Eibach Pro System Plus Kit (springs, dampers, sways). But original strut mounts are weak now, and alignment without the CC plates is now very cumbersome (read...' more expensive'). So it looks like I have to get CC plates, and I like what I read about the J&M set...especially that they completely replace the OEM strut mounts. Any reviews/feedback from 2011-2014 owners?
Old 3/8/16, 07:24 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
No experience here with J&M, but I remember reading some complaints about noise at low speeds and over bumps. This is why I went with Steeda units, they guarantee no increase in NVH which I'm sensitive to.
Old 3/8/16, 07:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
No experience here with J&M, but I remember reading some complaints about noise at low speeds and over bumps. This is why I went with Steeda units, they guarantee no increase in NVH which I'm sensitive to.
I had them for like 2 weeks. And yes, they are noisy at low speeds and over bumps. That's why only 2 weeks.

LEXiiON
Old 3/8/16, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1 on the Steeda HD CC plates. No noise or clunking on my car. Installed them last spring and no issues.
Old 3/8/16, 08:10 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Yes, couldn't agree with them more!

The factory strut mounts are prone to developing a creaking and popping when used with performance springs.

Our sealed bearing design eliminates that plus our is adjustable for camber, so you can set your camber for street or track use.

You can check them out here: http://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang...unts-555-8135/

Happy to help you with a set ... you can email me at tim@steeda.com.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 3/9/16, 02:24 PM

Thanks, everyone. My car is so noisy over slow bumps now, I could not bear buying/installing the J&Ms and not curing that! So you saved me, thank you. TJ, I will e-mail you.
Old 3/9/16, 05:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
Thanks, everyone. My car is so noisy over slow bumps now, I could not bear buying/installing the J&Ms and not curing that! So you saved me, thank you. TJ, I will e-mail you.
That's why I love being a member of this community. So many diverse individuals with so many different goals for their cars, and so many different ways of getting there. Got to love learning from others
Old 3/9/16, 07:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
Anyone using J&M Adjustable Caster Camber Plates? I have a 2011 GT. My speed shop says I really need CC plates now. Did not originally - I've gone four years without CC plates. I have Eibach Pro System Plus Kit (springs, dampers, sways). But original strut mounts are weak now, and alignment without the CC plates is now very cumbersome (read...' more expensive'). So it looks like I have to get CC plates, and I like what I read about the J&M set...especially that they completely replace the OEM strut mounts. Any reviews/feedback from 2011-2014 owners?
Do you need to adjust camber and/or caster, or just camber? If just camber, you can't go wrong with the Steeda plates. I had them for years, had no issues until the internal o-rings crushed (I have a thread around here somewhere on that I think). But all I had to do was drop Steeda a line and provide a proof of purchase, and they sent me a rebuild kit for free.

Eventually I had to go with true camber/caster plates because the BMR A-arms pushed the caster out of spec. Maximum motorsports makes an excellent set, for about the same money as the Steeda HD mounts, and same great quality. Just a little more difficulty to install.

BTW, I still have my Steeda mounts, only had ~3K on them since I did the rebuild kit
Old 3/10/16, 10:35 AM

Hi Cavero, I'm not sure about caster, but I'll find out. I'm working on the Steeda's with TJ. Can anyone speak to Maximum Motorsport's version? Good/bad? It is my understanding that the MM version re-uses one part of the OEM strut mount...and I don't think I want to do that. All comments welcome, thank you!

Last edited by PJRManagement; 3/10/16 at 10:40 AM.
Old 3/10/16, 02:34 PM
Banned

Is it the lower strut mount that's reused? Steeda HD mounts reuse the lower strut mount as well. But that's an all metal part, a metal cup so to speak, so I don't see a big deal in reusing it.

The stock mounts go bad because the rubber degrades and gets soft. I think pretty much all CC plates out there address that.
Old 3/10/16, 03:42 PM

Is it the lower strut mount that's reused? Steeda HD mounts reuse the lower strut mount as well. But that's an all metal part, a metal cup so to speak, so I don't see a big deal in reusing it.
---
Based on the MM install pictures, it looks like you are correct - the lower strut mount ("stock lower spring perch"), is reused, and it is a metal piece.
Old 3/11/16, 10:24 AM

Performance Manager at my speed shop wants to go with J&M. He says we need to have caster adjustment, as well, so Steedas are out (although he remarked what an excellent product the Steedas are). The MMs re-use the bottom part of the OEM strut mount, and although he said that is okay, he felt strongly that the J&M design of eliminating the entire OEM strut mount would be better for my specific application (Eibach Pro lowered).
Old 3/11/16, 10:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Performance Manager at my speed shop wants to go with J&M. He says we need to have caster adjustment, as well, so Steedas are out (although he remarked what an excellent product the Steedas are). The MMs re-use the bottom part of the OEM strut mount, and although he said that is okay, he felt strongly that the J&M design of eliminating the entire OEM strut mount would be better for my specific application (Eibach Pro lowered).
Nevermind, they now include the ruber insulator. However they will be noisy, as they don't have any bushing to absorb noise.

LEXiiON

Last edited by LEXiiON; 3/11/16 at 10:34 AM.
Old 3/11/16, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by LEXiiON
Nevermind, they now include the ruber insulator. However they will be noisy, as they don't have any bushing to absorb noise.

LEXiiON
---
Suspension noise...not what I was looking for...ugh.
Old 3/11/16, 11:31 AM
Banned

I'm surprised you need caster adjustment... I wonder why that is. You didn't need it before and you didn't make any additional suspension changes.
Old 3/11/16, 12:19 PM

I'm surprised you need caster adjustment... I wonder why that is. You didn't need it before and you didn't make any additional suspension changes.
---
I know. I just spoke with Steeda, they said the same. I'll talk to my Performance Manager before the install. I think he's just being safe and covering all bases. Lack of caster adjustment was the deal-breaker for him for the Steedas. Bummer, I wanted those - such good reviews.
Old 3/12/16, 12:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

---
I know. I just spoke with Steeda, they said the same. I'll talk to my Performance Manager before the install. I think he's just being safe and covering all bases. Lack of caster adjustment was the deal-breaker for him for the Steedas. Bummer, I wanted those - such good reviews.
You can still tell him "No", you're the customer. I see where he's coming from though, if you're planning on dropping the car any further or changing out control arms or doing a k-member. Otherwise, if you don't need caster now, you shouldn't need it later
Old 3/12/16, 12:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Cavero
You can still tell him "No", you're the customer. I see where he's coming from though, if you're planning on dropping the car any further or changing out control arms or doing a k-member. Otherwise, if you don't need caster now, you shouldn't need it later
This. Tell em to pound sand if they don't like it
Old 3/13/16, 12:43 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
---
I have the ground control cc plates. They allow caster and camber adjustment. I love them. I bought them from hypermotive.
Old 3/13/16, 12:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

---
Based on the MM install pictures, it looks like you are correct - the lower strut mount ("stock lower spring perch"), is reused, and it is a metal piece.
Yeah, looks to be that way for the 2011-14 GTs (for anyone who hasn't looked it up yet, see step 19 on the instructions).

Looks like the kit in the 2005-2010 (& GT500's) come with a new spring perch (see instructions). This style has the pigtail seat molded into the fat rubber isolator (reused), rather than the perch itself. Plus, IIRC, the perch on the early S197's was plastic.