Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

How far is far enough?

Search this Thread

Old 1/13/16, 01:50 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
How far is far enough?

Ok, so on the suspension topic. I have a 2014 GT TP car which is a weekend road course warrior. I finally got around to suspension mods, and I went with:
Steeda Sport Springs
Steeda adjustable PH bar
Steeda HD upper strut mounts
Adjustable dampers -- I'm set on Koni Yellow, so now I just need to find a deal and get them.

and now I'm debating getting the Steeda competition sway bars.

But I keep going back and forth on the sways. So here is my question to you: How Good is Good Enough? When do you know where to stop? I want the car to handle like a track car and feel like it's on rails, while being able to configure it for street driving. And right now I get that feeling when I drive the car "all hooked up". But when i push it past the limits, it's clear it's not on rails.

My fear is that with adjustable dampers, adjustable Camber, adjustable front and adjustable rear sway I will not be able to quickly find my ideal setting and I will waste my precocious few track days playing around with different combinations of the 4 variables.

But how far can I push the handling limits and what is the best way to do so? Will my current part list above get me to where I want to be? Will sways help push the grip envelope further, or just give me more control to dial in over/under steer behaviour within the existing envelope?

What do you guys think?
Old 1/13/16, 09:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
It sounds like you're just getting started in road racing\ track days. Your current list of suspension mods seem pretty good. I personally wouldn't worry about sway bars at this point.
Koni yellows
Stiffer lowering springs
Brake pads
Tires
Dot 4 brake fluid
All of these are your best track Mods to start with. Later will be lower control arms, upper control arm, front lower a arms, ball joints, bump steer kit...
The list never really ends. Lol
I've been tracking my car over 2 1/2 years and I still keep adding more.
Just added a clutch, Front A arms and and adjustable front splitter
Old 1/14/16, 07:11 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you plan to run on your current 275 Potenza S-04 (I assume square) tires? Like redonblackpony said, I would stop with the Koni Yellows since you already have race pads, upgraded brake fluid and SS lines. Depending on your skill level, your car may already have a higher limit as-is than you can push on the track. From there, assess what your needs are and go from there piecemeal until you get it dialed in to match your driving style.

In a couple of years I plan to retire my GT Premium (non-Track Pack) from daily duty and into an autocrosser/road courser. In my case, I'm on P-springs, Koni Oranges, GT500 strut mounts, and adjustable PHB. I'm just going to upgrade tires (either a 255 or 275 square), pads, fluid, and SS lines... and that's it until my skill/comfort level catches up.
Old 1/14/16, 07:46 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
I would skip the sway bars unless you have really noticed understeer or oversteer and it is not driver related. They are really only there to fine tune the suspension as you stated. The real question is how far are you willing to push it since it is your daily. Are coilovers an option? Vorshlag has a really nice kit out right now that really isn't expensive at all.

http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info...roducts_id=790

I mean, there is a lot that you can do, it is all just a matter of how far do you want to push it?
Old 1/14/16, 07:59 AM
Banned

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I have been doing track days in my own vehicle for 3 seasons now, about to enter season 4. I left the suspension for last, first I did pads, then tires, then fluid and SS lines and ever ongoing driver mod. I wanted to leave the suspension for last so that I knew where the car's limits are and where my limits are.

I can now say that I feel confident as a driver to push the limits of the car as it is, and I'm ready for the car to give me more. More cornering grip, quicker side to side transition, more corner exit speed. I think the turn in is currently perfect, could use more stability mid corner, and more grip on exit. Also lot less brake dive and roll.

I plan to keep a square set-up, but this year will be the last season for the S04s. When they wear out I'll be putting on 285/35-19 in more aggressive compound (RE11 or RE71 or Rivals).
Old 1/14/16, 08:50 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In that case I would get the Koni Yellows installed and dial in damping first. Are your Steeda Sport springs on factory dampers? If so, you'll be amazed how composed properly matched springs/dampers have on transitions, brake dive, etc.
Old 1/14/16, 10:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by K.A.I.N
In that case I would get the Koni Yellows installed and dial in damping first. Are your Steeda Sport springs on factory dampers? If so, you'll be amazed how composed properly matched springs/dampers have on transitions, brake dive, etc.
So you recommend one thing at a time? This was my initial thought too, and then I started second guessing myself.

The Steeda springs, CC plates and PH bar are still not on the car (that's why they are not in the sig yet ). They are hanging out in the basement till the snow melts and the car is out of hibernation. I will get the Konis in time for the install, and I was wondering if I should also do the sways at the same time.

But the consensus from the replies so far is finish the current mods first, and decide is sways are needed after I have the springs, dampers, PH and Camber settings honed in.

Thanks KAIN, ford20 and redonblackpony for the help thus far. A sanity check from unbiased sources helps a lot!
Old 1/14/16, 10:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ford20
I would skip the sway bars unless you have really noticed understeer or oversteer and it is not driver related. They are really only there to fine tune the suspension as you stated. The real question is how far are you willing to push it since it is your daily. Are coilovers an option? Vorshlag has a really nice kit out right now that really isn't expensive at all.

http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info...roducts_id=790

I mean, there is a lot that you can do, it is all just a matter of how far do you want to push it?
I decided no coil overs. My mod budget for suspension is < $1800 and I don't have a need to adjust ride height. I guess the only other variable are adjustable sways.

For the goals I have I think dampers and Camber plates will have the biggest impact, followed by springs. I guess I'll know by this summer!

I'll have to see how brake dive, turn in, mid curve grip and corner exit are with the mods awaiting install. Then I can do one or both sways if I feel the need.

Currently I like the balance my TP car has (neutral with not too much over or under steer) and I'm hoping to keep it, but get MORE. The only time I really have understeer issues is when I go too hot into a corner, and as you mentioned that's a driver error.
Old 1/14/16, 06:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
You will find that stiffer lower springs in combination with the Konis, help keep the car flatter and more planted around corners. In addition, better braking performance that is more predictable. All result in faster lap times
Old 1/15/16, 11:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I had pretty much the same mods as you, except H&R Supersports, Koni Yellows and BMR rear end stuff.

I added a Strano adjustable front away bar (I had a rear too but it wouldn't fit with the BMR relocation brackets).

I'd recommend the adjustable front. The turn in is so much sharper and quicker now, even on Standard steering mode. I don't feel the need to add a rear now, other than saying I did it.

I'd also recommend LCAs and relocation brackets, if you haven't yet. Those two items made a big difference in getting the power to the ground and making the rear end feel less jiggly over bumps.