General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Car Companies Bid To Make Modding Your Car Illegal Gets Shot Down

Search this Thread

Old 10/27/15, 06:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Car Companies Bid To Make Modding Your Car Illegal Gets Shot Down

A court today ruled that car enthusiasts are not legally barred from altering the software code in their cars under the DMC Act. Mod away!! Screw you car companies!!

http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/victor...-on-1738997079
Old 10/27/15, 07:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I'm glad that reasonableness has reigned in this decision.

That said, I'm good with my stock tune.

Ow! What? I mean, she's stock, so... yeah, no issues here...

Ok, ok, sheesh, I'm leaving... goodness. I *said* it was cool, man....

Last edited by houtex; 10/27/15 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10/28/15, 05:47 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 949 Likes on 577 Posts
Greed is a nasty thing. While I totally accept that capitalism is a good thing, greed certainly can ruin the whole process. Whoever (individual or company) that originated this horrific attempt, to monopolize our cars, should be posted in every car magazine and forum in the country, and thus boycotted until they publicly apologize. Wishful thinking anyway.
Old 11/5/15, 08:37 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mod away!
Old 11/5/15, 09:46 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So, what exactly does this mean? Can one person mod and not be fearful of the warranty be denied to fix something?

What exactly does this ruling mean and what did it do for the consumer?
Old 11/5/15, 09:54 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
They can still void your warranty. They had sought to make modding illegal.
Old 11/5/15, 12:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by SpectreH
They can still void your warranty. They had sought to make modding illegal.
This. Companies were trying to force car owners to bring their cars to the dealerships for literally everything. I for one am glad they got shot down on this.
Old 11/5/15, 12:56 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Amazing how we the consumer can spemd our money on a car, and yet the car company tries to tell the owner what he or she can or cant do to the car.
Old 11/5/15, 07:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Not even amazing.

They don't want to support the mechanicals if the car blows up because you mucked with the software. So it's better to keep the software from being changed, hence the push.

In Ford's case, they found out with Coyote #8 cylinder issue what happens when you play with the software. Hardware issues because software ain't right. And then people go after Ford because how dare the engine not survive the playing around with the software!? (We had those posts, y'know. People getting tunes, blowing up a 5.0, and then the hilarity ensued!)

Of course they were going to try to keep us peons from messin' with it. Only makes sense, being a programmer myself of computer software. I ain't gonna support anyone messing with my software and then coming to me claiming it broke because YOU didn't know what you were doing/were experimenting, and expecting me to support/pay for the damages afterward.

My stance on any mods is this: If you can't afford to replace the parts, directly or potentially affected, by what you are doing, then you can't afford to be modding. Pure and simple. You don't get to play "Ford pays" when your rear suspension breaks if you swap out the LCAs for Steeda or something, so why would an engine be covered when you put in non-stock tune and then blow it up?

Be rich or be stock. That's my motto.

Last edited by houtex; 11/5/15 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11/23/15, 03:54 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by houtex
Not even amazing.

They don't want to support the mechanicals if the car blows up because you mucked with the software. So it's better to keep the software from being changed, hence the push.

In Ford's case, they found out with Coyote #8 cylinder issue what happens when you play with the software. Hardware issues because software ain't right. And then people go after Ford because how dare the engine not survive the playing around with the software!? (We had those posts, y'know. People getting tunes, blowing up a 5.0, and then the hilarity ensued!)

Of course they were going to try to keep us peons from messin' with it. Only makes sense, being a programmer myself of computer software. I ain't gonna support anyone messing with my software and then coming to me claiming it broke because YOU didn't know what you were doing/were experimenting, and expecting me to support/pay for the damages afterward.

My stance on any mods is this: If you can't afford to replace the parts, directly or potentially affected, by what you are doing, then you can't afford to be modding. Pure and simple. You don't get to play "Ford pays" when your rear suspension breaks if you swap out the LCAs for Steeda or something, so why would an engine be covered when you put in non-stock tune and then blow it up?

Be rich or be stock. That's my motto.