Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

How can I improve handling on my GT without lowering?

Search this Thread

Old 11/30/13, 09:57 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
How can I improve handling on my GT without lowering?

I have installed Eibach Pro lowering springs but i really don't like how low she sits now that I've done it. I don't like the levelled look and I find i am paranoid when parking, handling speed bumps etc etc. i LOVE how much tighter the feel is overall though. Instead of lowering are there other ways of improving handling ?

Once i figure out alternatives I'll have some slightly used Eibach lowering springs for sale cheap lol
Old 11/30/13, 06:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
#1 sway bars. #2 tires #3struts and shocks.
Old 11/30/13, 06:46 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
#1 struts and shocks, #2 tires, #3 sway bars. One at a time and see how you like each step. IMO

Sam Strano typically said dampers first. Course he always started with "what are your goals?".
Old 11/30/13, 09:36 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
#1 struts and shocks, #2 tires, #3 sway bars.

I'm going to disagree some what
1 shocks/struts
2 swaybars
3 tires

the reason for the above change vs. others is that tires are a consumable item. they wear out. You'll need to buy some at some point. so go for the bars before the tires. bars aren't going to wear out, get new tires when you need them and then upgrade at that time. use what you have now, abuse them until they are gone.

That's my experience with multiple non-ford products, but the reasoning is sound.
Old 11/30/13, 11:01 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Thanks guys. I am running nitto invos right now on 19x9 and 19x10 svt rims. Buying 20x9 and 20x10 alcoas and planning on michelins.

I am liking the FRPP 'P' springs and phb which apparently maintain the rake. Ive no plans for track or road course use yet, just better street handling so I may quit at that point for the time being
Old 11/30/13, 11:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by DarrenGT
Thanks guys. I am running nitto invos right now on 19x9 and 19x10 svt rims. Buying 20x9 and 20x10 alcoas and planning on michelins.

I am liking the FRPP 'P' springs and phb which apparently maintain the rake. Ive no plans for track or road course use yet, just better street handling so I may quit at that point for the time being
If you don't like the leveled look the P's will most likely not keep you happy. I would get better shocks if you have the stocks on now, that should help with your speed bump issues. And as far as the parking, just learn where the front end is, I have a similar issue and no one will make a higher rate spring that isn't lower, unless you go to coilovers.
Old 11/30/13, 11:30 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by Brandon302
If you don't like the leveled look the P's will most likely not keep you happy. I would get better shocks if you have the stocks on now, that should help with your speed bump issues. And as far as the parking, just learn where the front end is, I have a similar issue and no one will make a higher rate spring that isn't lower, unless you go to coilovers.
not so much worried about parking as disliking the levelled look.
Old 12/1/13, 12:24 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

not so much worried about parking as disliking the levelled look.
You might be able to get rear P springs and keep the front Eibach's for the rake.
Old 12/1/13, 04:38 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any thoughts on the Whiteline front control arm brace? These weren't even in my radar until one went up for sale on another forum.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/whitel...race-0510.html
Old 12/1/13, 07:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I believe Boss springs keep the rake and the ride height is only slightly lower then a stock GT. As far as handling Shock/Struts should always be first on any list followed by adj. swaybars.
Old 12/1/13, 07:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Since the 20" wheels will add more unsprung weight, which is generally characterized as degarding handling, I presume you are doing that change for the appearance, correct?

Describe what better "street handling" feels like to you. If I go from your statement about it "feeling tighter" when you lowered it, you probably noticed a change because the center of gravity moved down and there is less "tippiness" if you take a corner faster.

Are you looking for something else?
Old 12/1/13, 09:55 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Yes the 20's for show time. An yes i want to tighten up the 'tippiness' without being so low and losing the raked look. When i drove the shelby last week, i noticed it handled really nicely but sits with a normal height and raked look. I have no idea what the differences are between the 2 suspensions are though.

Name:  20131123_135428_zps46c3839f.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  183.6 KB

Last edited by DarrenGT; 12/1/13 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12/1/13, 10:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
What happened to getting the Roush rear springs? You could so both front and rear Roush springs, the Koni yellow shocks and struts, and add in your choice of sway-bars and PHB.
Old 12/1/13, 11:14 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
What happened to getting the Roush rear springs? You could so both front and rear Roush springs, the Koni yellow shocks and struts, and add in your choice of sway-bars and PHB.
cool idea. I'll look into those too.
Old 12/1/13, 11:38 AM
GMP

I tried Steeda Sport Springs first and like you wanted a little more of a raked appearance.

I switched to the FRPP "P" springs on my 2011 and got exactly what I was looking for. I have them paired with Koni Yellows and like them very much.

The P springs should work similarly on the newer car.
Attached Thumbnails How can I improve handling on my GT without lowering?-img_7795.jpg   How can I improve handling on my GT without lowering?-img_7784.jpg   How can I improve handling on my GT without lowering?-img_7783.jpg  
Old 12/1/13, 11:48 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by GMP
I tried Steeda Sport Springs first and like you wanted a little more of a raked appearance.

I switched to the FRPP "P" springs on my 2011 and got exactly what I was looking for. I have them paired with Koni Yellows and like them very much.

The P springs should work similarly on the newer car.
That looks exactly what i am after. what are Koni yellows? How has the setup improved your handling from stock?
Old 12/1/13, 11:56 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GMP
Old 12/1/13, 03:24 PM
GMP

Koni Yellows are Koni Sports. They have adjustable rebound damping so that you can fine tune your car to your spring set and to how you use your car.
The handling and control of the car has improved without creating a harsh ride.
Old 12/4/13, 07:00 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That looks exactly what i am after. what are Koni yellows? How has the setup improved your handling from stock?

What are your plans? I ask however the koni yellows are a well rounded damper set that allows a vast amount of adjustability to tune to your liking. I've grown to be a big fan of AST but I've used Koni yellows on many different road courses with great success plus I can dial them down to ride comfortably on the street.

Keep in mind that comfort is subjective.
Old 12/26/13, 08:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by GMP
I am considering P Springs as well, mainly for the stance. Will the stock shocks and struts hold or do I need them replaced with Koni's and such? Those wheels look killer btw, I would've gotten them already if the price wasn't so stiff sigh.

Quick Reply: How can I improve handling on my GT without lowering?