Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

hawk hps review!

Search this Thread

Old 1/12/17, 10:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
hawk hps review!

GET THEM!! Threw on some hawk HPS front and rear on my 2012 gt brembo with stock rotors,the difference is incredible over stock,after bedding them in i felt like i had to re learn how to drive the car again, it made that much more of a difference! To new to talk about dust,but i dont really care about that and they are silent in operation! Got them at summit racing for 106, everyone else wanted 146!
Old 1/12/17, 05:12 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
Good choice for mostly street use with a little track time. I have been running them for almost two years now with DBA club spec rotors. I like the look of slotted rotors. They stop better and dust less.
Old 1/13/17, 06:41 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
HPS can't stand up to serious track time on the rear. On the steet I'm sure they are great.
I use Carbotech XP8s on the back, and they are very good. Brake bias is more toward the rear wit stock front pads on the street. And for track use they hold up very well without overbraking the rear.

Trail braking gets a bit hairy though, haha.
Old 1/22/17, 10:39 AM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
HPS can't stand up to serious track time on the rear. On the steet I'm sure they are great.
I use Carbotech XP8s on the back, and they are very good. Brake bias is more toward the rear wit stock front pads on the street. And for track use they hold up very well without overbraking the rear.

Trail braking gets a bit hairy though, haha.
The HPS are not a serious track pad. That is why I said a little track time. My car spends most of its time on the street, but it did see 4 track days last season all with HPS pads. They were sufficient for a track newbie and the two instructors I had were surprised at how well the car braked with street pads.
Old 1/22/17, 05:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
I had smoke coming from my rear HPS's in 3 autocross runs last summer.
Definitely NOT a track pad.

Great on the street though.
This is the second car I've owned that I've put them on, and on the street they're great!
Old 1/22/17, 07:03 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Gabe

This is the second car I've owned that I've put them on, and on the street they're great!
Kind of strange that you smoked the back, but not the front. By any chance were you running with the traction control on?
Old 1/22/17, 07:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by EF1
Kind of strange that you smoked the back, but not the front. By any chance were you running with the traction control on?
Actually that doesn't surprise me. I was able to get some rotor temps measured this year at one of my events, and the rears were consistently 75F+ hotter than the fronts. I think it's just because the rear rotors are so small, and the don't get much air back there.

And I drove with TCS and StabiliTrac OFF.
Old 1/22/17, 07:36 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

I haven't measured the temp of my rotors at the track yet. I just bought a temp gun for this spring. I assumed since the front do most of the braking that they would be hotter. I have also seem a couple people smoke the rear brakes running the traction control at the track and was curious if this was a factor. I am still new to the track and haven't out driven the HPS's yet.
Old 1/22/17, 07:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
I had the Advancetrac in Sport mode, so not ON but not OFF either.
And I have the bigger 14" rear rotors from the '13-'14 GT500 on my car, with only about 5k miles on them at the time.
Old 1/23/17, 06:29 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the info. I am curious what temps I will get in the spring at the track from front to back.
Old 1/23/17, 10:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
If you run with anything other than all TC and stability control completely off, it will smoke the rear brakes!
Even with good track pads!
Old 1/28/17, 08:20 AM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

I had the Advancetrac in Sport mode, so not ON but not OFF either.
And I have the bigger 14" rear rotors from the '13-'14 GT500 on my car, with only about 5k miles on them at the time.
Originally Posted by ElkGroveFordGuy
If you run with anything other than all TC and stability control completely off, it will smoke the rear brakes!
Even with good track pads!
So if I understand this, you can make street pads last longer on the track with traction control full off and you can make track pads fade at the track running the traction control. There are a lot of variables to understand here.
Old 1/28/17, 09:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by EF1
So if I understand this, you can make street pads last longer on the track with traction control full off and you can make track pads fade at the track running the traction control. There are a lot of variables to understand here.
Yes sir! And it actually has less to do with traction control as it does with stability control. If you turn off TCS you still have Electronic Stability control active.

Ford calls it Stabilitrack, and it looks for oversteer and understeer situations. So let's say you're enter a corner too fast and start pushing (understeering). In this situation the system will try to get the car to rotate more by pulsing the inside rear wheel brake.

Similarly, if you start oversteering after a sharp turn in, the system will activate front and (or rear depending on slip) outside wheel brakes to reduce the rotation.

This is why you can smoke the rear pads at the track even with TCS off.

If you go to full system off this problem goes away, but now you have to be on your game and catch the car when it gets loose or starts to push. Push is easier to control, most of the time you can just lift off the gas for a second or 2.
Old 1/28/17, 11:01 AM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

I didn't realize the tractor control and stability control were different. I started running it in sport mode after eating up my rear pads on the street. I ran full off in South Carolina back in October and only started to slide a couple of times, but was able to catch it. I guess I am going to have to read the owners manual to figure out how to control each.