Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

GT 500 Wheels and Tires. Should steering...

Search this Thread

Old 3/10/13, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GT 500 Wheels and Tires. Should steering...

Hey Gang,
I just bought some GT500 SVTPP wheels and tires and put them onto my 2012 GT. They are quite a bit wider that my stock tires and ALOT harder. Which was a surprise since they are considered high performance tires. I would have thought they would be a softer compound.
Anyways, with the wider tires, should I feel a difference in how the car rides or steers?
If so, can someone explain why (besides the obvious size difference)?
I mean what are the dynamics taking place that might make it feel different...other than my imagination. I'm just curious and too lazy to use the Internet on my Google machine.
Thanks.
Old 3/10/13, 07:41 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by modie
Hey Gang,
I just bought some GT500 SVTPP wheels and tires and put them onto my 2012 GT. They are quite a bit wider that my stock tires and ALOT harder. Which was a surprise since they are considered high performance tires. I would have thought they would be a softer compound.
Anyways, with the wider tires, should I feel a difference in how the car rides or steers?
If so, can someone explain why (besides the obvious size difference)?
I mean what are the dynamics taking place that might make it feel different...other than my imagination. I'm just curious and too lazy to use the Internet on my Google machine.
Thanks.
Got any pics?
Old 3/10/13, 08:29 AM
V6 Member

I just did the same wheel/tire swap. Afterwards my car was very "darty". We all know that bigger tires follow rutting , ridges ,etc in pavement but mine was more than that. It only did it while running straight on the road. Driving thru any curves and it went away.
I drove it that way for a week until my springs, shocks and cc plates came in. After i installed my parts I went for a test drive and the darting was almost gone. After alignment it was completely gone. I suspect an alignment to match Ford specs fpr Boss, GT500 etc would help.
I used alignment specs suggestion by suspension shop I dealt with. PM me if you want more info.
Mike
Old 3/10/13, 09:45 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey Gang,
Below 40 degrees, these 'summer' performance tires get very hard rendering them useless for driving safely. In warmer weather they become much softer and gummier allowing for much better handling.
Old 3/10/13, 11:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

More info on the exact wheels, width, and tire brand, model, and width for the front and rear please, plus what your factory tires and wheels were.

Yes, you are right, there are many things that can change the dynamics of how a car drives, but we really need to understand what you have now to explain what will have changed.
Old 3/10/13, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by kn7671
More info on the exact wheels, width, and tire brand, model, and width for the front and rear please, plus what your factory tires and wheels were.

Yes, you are right, there are many things that can change the dynamics of how a car drives, but we really need to understand what you have now to explain what will have changed.
Thanks for the input guys. I never even thought about re-alignment.

I used to have stock 18x8 with 235/50/18 P Zero Nero.
Now have rear 285/35/20 and front 265/40/19 Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar G2.

Old 3/10/13, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Hadtohaveit'13
Got any pics?
Here is a pic. (assuming I uploaded it correctly).
Attached Thumbnails GT 500 Wheels and Tires. Should steering...-stang.jpg  
Old 3/10/13, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
Below 40 degrees, these 'summer' performance tires get very hard rendering them useless for driving safely. In warmer weather they become much softer and gummier allowing for much better handling.
I guess I should have done my homework as far as the tires are concerned. But, I would never have imagined a stock tire being unsafe or impractical for colder weather.
I am definitely rethinking keeping this wheelset.
Old 3/10/13, 05:29 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
It's unsafe to drive aggressively under those conditions, but for getting around they are fine. I went all winter on summer tires, it's not like they won't work at all if that's what your thinking
Old 3/10/13, 05:35 PM

Those look really nice.
Old 3/10/13, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Paulyray
Those look really nice.
Thanks.
I may put on a GT500 rear spoiler and thougth about a CS/Boss chin spoiler. Not just sure yet.
Old 3/10/13, 10:47 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess I should have done my homework as far as the tires are concerned. But, I would never have imagined a stock tire being unsafe or impractical for colder weather.
The wheels are awesome, just get different tires mounted for cold weather.
Old 3/11/13, 08:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The Supercars have much stiffer and shorter sidewalls than your all season 18s.
Old 3/11/13, 02:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you are going from 18s to 19s, then yes you will feel a substantial difference. i use 18s for winter wheels and it is a much smoother ride. then it is noticeably harder as you say when I switch to the 19s in the spring. just make sure you don't have the summer only tires on there. If you do and its under 40 degrees, it will feel a lot harder. I wouldn't feel safe driving summer tires in winter though. Just because others do it doesn't make it any safer.
Old 3/11/13, 08:02 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by snake40
I just did the same wheel/tire swap. Afterwards my car was very "darty". We all know that bigger tires follow rutting , ridges ,etc in pavement but mine was more than that. It only did it while running straight on the road. Driving thru any curves and it went away.
I drove it that way for a week until my springs, shocks and cc plates came in. After i installed my parts I went for a test drive and the darting was almost gone. After alignment it was completely gone. I suspect an alignment to match Ford specs fpr Boss, GT500 etc would help.
I used alignment specs suggestion by suspension shop I dealt with. PM me if you want more info.
Mike
Unless the 2013 GT500 alignment specs have changed? Prior to that the V6, GT and GT500 shared the same specs. The Boss and Boss LS used different settings though.
Old 3/11/13, 08:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Old 3/11/13, 09:04 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by bob
Unless the 2013 GT500 alignment specs have changed? Prior to that the V6, GT and GT500 shared the same specs. The Boss and Boss LS used different settings though.

Maybe your right but I was told by alignment shop that the specs were different.
Thanks, Mike
Old 3/11/13, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy49

That is very interesting and kind of concerning. Luckily I live in SoCal. The weather very rarely gets that cold.
Old 3/11/13, 11:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Did the tires come from a So. California car? It might be nice to know their history.
Old 3/11/13, 11:48 PM
Bullitt Member

There are a couple of down sides to using these tires and wheels.
1. Cost of replacement tires.
2. Availability of tires in your cars speed range. You really don't need 186+ MPH tires on most Mustangs, so why pay more just for the bragging rights.
3. By using different size tires front and rear, you can no longer rotate the tires. Tire manufactures cut their mileage warranties in half because of the inability to rotate the tires.

I'm sure you and other members can add to this list. I think you would have been better served with 18" wheels all around and the same size tires on all for corners.

If you did for looks, you succeeded, the car does look good with those tires and wheels.

Quick Reply: GT 500 Wheels and Tires. Should steering...