Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Front end suspension squeak/chirp help

Search this Thread

Old 4/2/12, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Front end suspension squeak/chirp help

Hey guys. So I have recently(within the last week or so) developed a squeak/chirp in my front end when going over speed bumps, small bumps in the road, or just driving down a not so level road. My car is lowered on steeda sport springs w/ Konist-r's, and Steeda hd strut mounts. I have been riding on these for about 1k miles and never had a sound before now. It's been warmer lately, and that seems to be a factor; below 80 degrees, no sound. 80+ degrees=squeaks. It sounds like a cricket, or bird chirping. I had a shop do the installation of the springs/shocks. I looked after I started hearing this noise and noticed that the rubber isolater sleeve for the springs were reinstalled like this:

I noticed when he put the isolater on the new springs, he didn't slide it all the way to the end of the coil, so there is spring and strut in direct contact(metal on metal). Is this what's causing this noise?

I took this video on the way to work yesterday so you can actually hear the noise, as opposed to me just trying to describe it; It was about 88 degrees outside. Took it out for about a 20min drive today(75 degrees) and got nothing. Now, you will hear some other noises in the video(rattling/buzzing) every so often. That's my stupid rearview mirror. One day I'll figure out how to stop that. These are the times in the video you can hear the noise I'm describing:

on the street
1:25 very faint
1:44, 2:02, 2:29, 2:32
Parking lot
you can see me coming up to the speedbump @ 3:00
3:05 over the s.b.
3:27, 3:43

Old 4/3/12, 06:34 AM
Bullitt Member

don't most shops have like a 6 month warranty on their work?
Old 4/3/12, 10:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Yep, that would do it. Need to get that fixed.
Old 4/3/12, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Kobrag
don't most shops have like a 6 month warranty on their work?
Surely they will. I'm gonna go by tomorrow and let them know what's going on. I'm just thinking I'm going to get the 'thats how we install all of them' routine...
Old 4/4/12, 06:53 PM

Exclamation Update

Took it in to the shop that did the install today, but couldn't get there until about 4:30 or so. The guy who did the install rode around the block with me so he could hear the squeak. Anyway, he jacked it up and looked it over. He ended up greasing the steeda mount, s well as greasing the strut rod itself(that has done nothing so far). Bottom line, he wasn't able to figure out what was causing the noise. Granted, I did get there super late, and he only had a short time to mess with it. He told me to bring it back up there Monday morning so that he could have more time, and more hands to look it over. Needles to say, still have the birds under the hood. I did stop atAuto Zone on my way home to pick up some silicone spray to see if it might be spring/strut contact at the bottom of the spring where the rubber sleeve stops and exposes the end of the coil(about 2" woth of bare spring). I sprayed some on both sides and drove around for a bit. This did nothing to affect the sound either, so I'm not sure the positioning of that sleeve is having anything to do with it. I do know after today that is only coming from the front, and not from the rear. Do you guys think it could be a faulty strut(s)?? I know my 1st video was crap as far as conveying the noise, but I made another one and you can clearly hear what's happening. I also made a video of me bouncing the front end in my garage, so you can hear what it's doing sittingstill as well. These are very short videos, so if you guys would't mind checking them out and giving me some feedback it would be greatly appreciated! Also, any advice on things to ask, bring up, when I bring it back to the shop on Monday morning?

better idea of hat's happening

in the garage

Last edited by HOTRODD77; 4/4/12 at 06:56 PM. Reason: spelling!
Old 5/28/14, 08:59 AM

Did you ever resolve this issue, my 2011 is doing this exact noise right now.
Old 5/28/14, 10:45 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by WhitePerfGT
odds are it's the bushings replace those and it should fix the problem
Old 6/5/14, 09:34 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by WhitePerfGT
Hello WhitePerfGT,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service. I recommend bringing it in to your dealer and speaking to your service manager about this concern. He is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed.

Also, remember repairs done at a Ford Dealer come with a 24 months/unlimited miles warranty. You can schedule an appointment online here.

Deysha