Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Brake bleeder question

Search this Thread

Old 4/8/17, 06:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Brake bleeder question

I purchased a Motive Brake Bleeder kit 0118, and I cant get the silly cap to stay on the master cylinder/reservoir. It came with 2 gaskets of different thicknesses. I was using the thinner of the 2 and it felt like the cap was on snug. However once it starts to build a little pressure like 6 lbs the cap pops off

I tried the thicker gasket and it is so thick that I cant get it to screw on to the master cylinder tabs. I was afraid to put too much pressure on the mc because I could see it flexing and didnt want to break it.

Does anyone else use this kit? Are you able to get it to work?

To me it seems like the tabs on the Motive cap arent quite big enough to create a good lock tight seal. Looking for suggestions.

I'm doing this to put Motul 600 in the system and to put on some stainless brake lines. I ended up getting one line on and using the 2 man method pumping the brakes. Clear fluid came through and I couldnt see any bubbles. I tested the car and it didnt have any problems stopping and I didnt notice any leaking from the line.
Old 4/9/17, 08:42 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Are you using the Plastic cap? If so I heard there is problem with them sealing. Get the metal cap.
Old 4/9/17, 04:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

I purchased the one with the metal cap. It was this kit.
Old 4/9/17, 05:40 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
How many turns can you screw the cap onto the reservoir? Seem strange it would pop off.

I also have SS lines (mine are from Russel) and Motul RBF600. Good stuff. Pedal is nice and firm. I also have an SS clutch line, and no high RPM shifting issues here.
Old 4/9/17, 06:39 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
I have the metal cap and it works well. I don't remember which rubber washer I ended up using though. As long as you engage the locking tabs properly, I can't see how it would pop off. If the seal isn't tight enough it will leak, but the cap stays on.
Old 4/10/17, 10:10 AM
Cobra Member

Call Motive. It seems to me there is different size washers for this issue.
Old 4/10/17, 10:12 AM
Cobra Member

I am wanting to buy one of these. How well does it work? I have only used the commercial kind theat is under air pressure and has a balder so no air touches the fluid.
Old 4/10/17, 06:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
How many turns can you screw the cap onto the reservoir? Seem strange it would pop off.

I also have SS lines (mine are from Russel) and Motul RBF600. Good stuff. Pedal is nice and firm. I also have an SS clutch line, and no high RPM shifting issues here.
Looking forward to getting the other lines on.

It doesnt have threads. It has 3 locking tabs for lack of better explanation, and they turn about 1/3 of the way around.

Originally Posted by EF1
I have the metal cap and it works well. I don't remember which rubber washer I ended up using though. As long as you engage the locking tabs properly, I can't see how it would pop off. If the seal isn't tight enough it will leak, but the cap stays on.
I was using the thinner of the 2 gaskets, and I thought I was able to get it to lock in place. I jiggled it to ensure it was on before creating pressure, and it seemed secure. When it gets around 6-8 lbs the same side pops off. Maybe I'm not getting that 3rd tab seated correctly? I wasnt able to get the thick gasket on, it was requiring too much pressure on the reservoir, and I was afraid i was going to break it.

To me the motive cap looks larger than the factory cap, and the tabs do not look deep enough to lock in place.
Old 4/10/17, 08:10 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
I have never had an issue with mine. I have several adapters for different vehicles and it has always worked well. It is much easier than trying to get my wife to pump and hold the breaks. I always put the cap on the car and pressurize without fluid in the reservoir and let it sit for 5-10 minutes to make sure it holds pressure. Then while leaving the cap securely in place, I release the pressure and pour fluid in the reservoir, pressurize and bleed each line starting at the one furthest from the master cylinder.
The following users liked this post:
Rog13GTCS (4/12/17)
Old 4/12/17, 05:51 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
You can also get a one way valve (no return valve), add that to the tube connected to the bleeder, then pump away at the brake pedal. Very cheap but effective solution that I've been using for years
The following users liked this post:
Rog13GTCS (4/12/17)