Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Boss LS Suspension vs GT Brembo Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 7/3/12, 05:49 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boss LS Suspension vs GT Brembo Suspension

3 questions for someone with more knowledge than myself after trying to search for this info already:

Are the Boss LS Lower Control Arms, front sway bar, and panhard rod all upgraded over the regular '11+ GT BBP?

Is the Boss LS rear sway bar only to be used ONLY with the Torsen Rear, or can it be used as an upgraded piece to a '11 GT Suspension?

Will using lowering springs on the Boss LS dampers adversely affect performance or longevity of the shocks/struts?
Old 7/4/12, 03:23 PM
GT Member

So, I have some answers, but figured I'd post them just in case others were curious, as well.

The front sway bar is the same diameter, but the walls are thicker, therefore making it stiffer. The rear sway bar is upgraded all around, and can be used with the standard GT, even though it's designed to complement the Torsen rear diff.

The control arms are re-designed. The panhard rod is the same.

Still can't figure out if lowering springs would benefit performance, since I hear that the Boss LS springs, even though they don't lower the vehicle like crazy, are pretty dope.
Old 7/5/12, 09:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Koni Yellows, Steeda sport springs and Strano front and rear adjustable sway bars. About 1.5K and you have a better handler than a BOSS
Old 7/5/12, 07:18 PM
GT Member

Gee, I guess Ford should have just bought the suspension parts from Steeda & Koni! =)
Old 7/6/12, 06:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Musker
Gee, I guess Ford should have just bought the suspension parts from Steeda & Koni! =)
The Steeda and Koni setup is superior to the Boss setup but the ride will be rougher with Koni's, even set to full soft. The Boss setup was a compromise between performance & comfort.
Old 7/6/12, 07:38 PM
GT Member

I did boss springs and Koni yellows. Some odd bouncing over uneven pavement when on full soft, similar to an underdamped feeling. Otherwise, I like the raked stance while still having good ground clearance.
Old 7/8/12, 07:46 PM
GT Member

Well i bought a Laguna seca setup so i am sure it will be comparable since the stiffest setting of the regular boss is the softest setting on the LS.
Old 7/13/12, 08:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Musker
Be honest with yourself. Any stock suspension has room for improvement. And yes, ford should have bought suspension parts from steeda and koni. That would be a major improvement and it would save people alot of money : )
Old 7/14/12, 10:52 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
I agree...

Old 7/17/12, 05:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by devildog1679
Koni Yellows, Steeda sport springs and Strano front and rear adjustable sway bars. About 1.5K and you have a better handler than a BOSS
Not true
Old 7/17/12, 05:12 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GrabberBlue310

Not true
Completely true.
Old 7/17/12, 05:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Not true
Let me guess. You bought a take off boss LS suspension from a boss owner? I
Old 7/17/12, 06:11 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeyt03
Old 7/17/12, 06:14 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Nope, he's got a full Hotchkis suspension and his car is bad-f'ing-***! He probably knows a thing or two about Mustangs, which handle, and how to make them handle if they don't from the factory.
Old 7/18/12, 02:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MARZ
Nope, he's got a full Hotchkis suspension and his car is bad-f'ing-***! He probably knows a thing or two about Mustangs, which handle, and how to make them handle if they don't from the factory.
That car is gone. Now I am driving a 2013 Boss 302. And yes I know a thing or 2 about making them handle, thank you for the compliment. I will let these guys believe that changing shocks and springs are better than what the engineers at Ford spent countless years developing lol. Currently I have some parts being developed for my car, and I can tell you they do not involve lowering it at all. Its all about alignment parts on these cars. Adjustable LCA, Panhard bar, and caster camber plates are all I will need to be putting in work on track.
Old 7/18/12, 02:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Actually my car is bone stock. 2013 Boss 302 #166

Last edited by GrabberBlue310; 7/18/12 at 02:45 PM.
Old 7/18/12, 05:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

That car is gone. Now I am driving a 2013 Boss 302. And yes I know a thing or 2 about making them handle, thank you for the compliment. I will let these guys believe that changing shocks and springs are better than what the engineers at Ford spent countless years developing lol. Currently I have some parts being developed for my car, and I can tell you they do not involve lowering it at all. Its all about alignment parts on these cars. Adjustable LCA, Panhard bar, and caster camber plates are all I will need to be putting in work on track.
Ford spent countless years developing something and your saying you have to get parts developed for your car to make it handle better. My point exactly. Ford cares about their gross margin, not about maximum performance.
Old 7/19/12, 08:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Ford spent countless years developing something and your saying you have to get parts developed for your car to make it handle better. My point exactly. Ford cares about their gross margin, not about maximum performance.
Read man I said alignment parts. I'm not doing any thing to make the car handle better. apparently you don't know much about how cars work. The parts i am developing is to adjust the alignment.
Old 7/19/12, 08:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Boss is an excellent compromise. Race cars have much stiffer spring rates and more camber. You always have to consider what is allowed in race cars. The rules are there to make them slower not faster.
Old 7/19/12, 04:28 PM
GT Member

I really believe that Ford knows what they're doing in designing a beast like the Boss LS. There is always room for improvement in the pursuit of perfection, in any arena of life. That is an oversimplification of what is trying to be attained... the perfect balance of performance & reliability/longevity is a subjective matter, and that's why people acquire this specific vehicle. In my case I just bought the suspension system.

This thread wasn't to debate the merits of the Boss VS those of an upgraded GT, but just to figure out the differences between the two systems in terms of the specific components, not how they handle.

The debate has been great, though!

Quick Reply: Boss LS Suspension vs GT Brembo Suspension