Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Adjustable Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 6/17/12, 06:28 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adjustable Suspension

So ever since they announced the GT500s suspension and it became obvious I didn't have the patience to wait for one I have been looking at suspensions that are close to as versatile as the GT500s, but this is the best I have come up with, what is all your guys opinions on it? Do you know of any others, or better ones? Would this kit be all I need for suspension? I am a complete n00b when it comes to suspension.

http://www.ridetech.com/store/2005-2...g-level-2.html
Old 6/22/12, 07:42 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What are your goals?

This kit you've linked to is an air-ride system, which is usually reserved for show cars that like to literally slam the chassis to the ground when at shows, then raise the car up to drive it around. It's not a good handling option -- in fact it will likely severely degrade it.

If you value handling, talk to Sam Strano and he'll set you up with an adjustable suspension package. You have options like adjustable shocks/struts or fully adjustable coilovers.
Old 6/22/12, 09:42 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
What are your goals?

This kit you've linked to is an air-ride system, which is usually reserved for show cars that like to literally slam the chassis to the ground when at shows, then raise the car up to drive it around. It's not a good handling option -- in fact it will likely severely degrade it.

If you value handling, talk to Sam Strano and he'll set you up with an adjustable suspension package. You have options like adjustable shocks/struts or fully adjustable coilovers.
Yea, as I read more I started to figure out I sounded like an *** when posting about an air ride. I am looking for something that is easily adjustable from daily driver use to track use. I love that the new GT500 has a button you just push for that with preset stiffness. Would like something nearly as easy and requires little thought. I don't want to have to throw the car on a rack in before going to the track and after done at the track basically.
Old 6/22/12, 09:48 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LostGeographer
Yea, as I read more I started to figure out I sounded like an *** when posting about an air ride. I am looking for something that is easily adjustable from daily driver use to track use. I love that the new GT500 has a button you just push for that with preset stiffness. Would like something nearly as easy and requires little thought. I don't want to have to throw the car on a rack in before going to the track and after done at the track basically.
I don't know if there are any aftermarket options like that for us. I know a buddy of mine runs a nice Tien system on his 370Z that is electronically adjustable from in cockpit.

I run Koni Yellow adjustable shocks and struts. They are not adjustable from in the car, but it's just a matter of turning a dial on top of the shock to change rebound. It's a nice setup. You can go from comfortable "full soft" to much stiffer settings for spirited driving, track use, etc.
Old 6/22/12, 11:36 PM
V6 Member

I don't know if there are any aftermarket options like that for us. I know a buddy of mine runs a nice Tien system on his 370Z that is electronically adjustable from in cockpit.

I run Koni Yellow adjustable shocks and struts. They are not adjustable from in the car, but it's just a matter of turning a dial on top of the shock to change rebound. It's a nice setup. You can go from comfortable "full soft" to much stiffer settings for spirited driving, track use, etc.
Do I need an associates in vehicle suspension to know how to use them? Following that FRPP thread with adjustable suspension made my head nearly explode.
Old 6/23/12, 12:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Do I need an associates in vehicle suspension to know how to use them? Following that FRPP thread with adjustable suspension made my head nearly explode.
No, I run mine full soft as a DD and then 1 turn from soft in front and 1/2 in rear for track duty.
Old 6/23/12, 05:38 AM
Cobra Member

Nope. You learn as you go. Trial and error. I DD my Konis at 1.5 turns front and 1 rear, sometimes 2/1.5.
Old 6/23/12, 07:47 AM
V6 Member

Ok thanks, now I will just have to do my research and find out which one to go with. Appreciate it
Old 6/23/12, 08:17 AM
Cobra Member

Like I said, give sam strano a call and tell him what you're looking for. He will put together a setup for you.
Old 6/23/12, 08:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Like I said, give sam strano a call and tell him what you're looking for. He will put together a setup for you.
+1 on calling Sam. Hooked me up good, was on the phone with me for 30 min. Good man and he actually AutoX a 5.0 so he knows what works and what doesn't
Old 6/28/12, 02:27 PM
Former Vendor

So ever since they announced the GT500s suspension and it became obvious I didn't have the patience to wait for one I have been looking at suspensions that are close to as versatile as the GT500s, but this is the best I have come up with, what is all your guys opinions on it? Do you know of any others, or better ones? Would this kit be all I need for suspension? I am a complete n00b when it comes to suspension.

http://www.ridetech.com/store/2005-2...g-level-2.html
Is this your daily driver or weekend car? Do you track it?
Old 7/2/12, 08:30 PM
V6 Member

This is my daily driver and it has not been tracked yet, but it will be soon.
Old 7/5/12, 09:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Koni yellows and Steeda sport springs and be done with it
Old 7/5/12, 09:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by devildog1679
Koni yellows and Steeda sport springs and be done with it
I did the same, got everything from Sam.
Old 7/5/12, 06:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by t-fatty
I did the same, got everything from Sam.
Sam is the man
Old 7/7/12, 08:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

I would check with steeda. Their customer service is great! Stay away from one man operations.
Old 7/8/12, 05:57 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mikeyt03
I would check with steeda. Their customer service is great! Stay away from one man operations.

Sam is an SCCA National Champ with a shop in PA. He takes his time to work with you and make sure you understand EVERYTHING you're buying or thinking about buying from him, or anyone else. He's a great guy with great service and competitive pricing.

Not knocking Steeda, as I have found their service fantastic when it comes to my tunes, but Sam is my suspension guy and always will be as long as he's in business. He's hardly a one-man reputation.
Old 7/8/12, 11:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

That's great that your interaction was great with him. Mine was not.
Old 7/8/12, 04:01 PM
Cobra Member

That's too bad. All of my many interactions with him have been great.
Old 7/8/12, 08:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

That's too bad. All of my many interactions with him have been great.
He seemed very short, condescending, and annoyed that I had questions. I've actually heard this same thing from a whole lot of people too. I don't know if that's how you like being spoken to or not. If so that's great. He also told me he was so busy he didn't know when he could answer the phone next. Huge red flag right there. I guess it works for some people. But I like to spend money with company's, in my opinion, that are a little more established.

Quick Reply: Adjustable Suspension