Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

55D Spring Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11/13/12, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody have these installed on a non Brembo car?
Old 11/13/12, 03:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MikeyNice
Anybody have these installed on a non Brembo car?
I will tomorrow. I'll post before and after pics and a report on the ride quality. I just want to level out the car and not give up any comfort because I bought the car to be a good road car that I can have some fun with too.
Old 11/13/12, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Trumpetlon

I will tomorrow. I'll post before and after pics and a report on the ride quality. I just want to level out the car and not give up any comfort because I bought the car to be a good road car that I can have some fun with too.
Exactly what I'm looking for. I'll be looking out for your report.
Old 11/14/12, 02:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Took my car and new 55D springs to my mechanic this morning. From the car going up on the lift to the car coming down took a total of 20 minutes. He didn't remove the wheels or brakes at all, just took the sway bar mounting nuts off, pulled the bolts off the lower shock mount and the springs came right out when he lowered the axle and the new ones went right in. Best $20 I've spent on a mod install!

Now for the ride impression. The rear end feels more tight and planted and the front end doesn't point to the sky any more under hard acceleration, it still lifts, but not nearly as much. The ride is still very comfortable, but more controlled and I feel the road more under the rear end but it is not harsh at all. I really like it!!! This is the way it should come from the factory. I took a before and after pic but can't see the difference yet, it may need to settle so I'll give it a week or two and take another pic.

Now for the bad news...Leaving my mechanic, I pulled onto Grand avenue and promptly got stopped by a Glendale PD motor officer. I was thinking I was only 5 over as I was in a 45mph zone. I apparently missed the construction zone sign that said it was a 35mph zone. He wrote me for 51 in a 35. I'll be attending a defensive driver course in the next few weeks to avoid having this offense on my record and on my insurance, and ruining a perfectly good Saturday sitting in class.....Bummer.....
Old 11/14/12, 08:11 PM

Thanks for the review and too bad about the ticket.
Old 11/20/12, 01:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Just out of curiosity, has anyone actually done any definitive tests on the 55d Springs to determine if they actually increase skid pad performance or lateral g force etc.?
I have looked at the website and see no Technical data on performance, there is a lot of marketing verbage but that is just selling a product.
I like the idea of the minimal drop but 149 for 1/2 inch drop with no definitive track data is not appealing to me, but if it improves performance I am in!
Any thoughts
Old 11/20/12, 02:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
Got my 55D rear springs installed earlier today and I really like the ride height now ... I expect that they'll settle a tiny bit more, but very happy for now.

I got BMR rear lower control arms done at the same time, and my wheel hop is now gone

Pics:

New spring on top, original spring on bottom:
Name:  2012-11-20_55D_springs1.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  268.9 KB

New spring installed:
Name:  2012-11-20_55D_springs2.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  254.0 KB

New ride height:
Only put about 50-75 miles on the new set-up so far, maybe they'll settle a little bit more ... so far I like what I see though.
Name:  2012-11-20_55D-Springs01.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  403.9 KB
Name:  2012-11-20_55D-Springs02.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  327.1 KB
Name:  2012-11-20_55D-Springs03.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  336.5 KB
Old 11/27/12, 01:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Just out of curiosity, has anyone actually done any definitive tests on the 55d Springs to determine if they actually increase skid pad performance or lateral g force etc.?
I have looked at the website and see no Technical data on performance, there is a lot of marketing verbage but that is just selling a product.
I like the idea of the minimal drop but 149 for 1/2 inch drop with no definitive track data is not appealing to me, but if it improves performance I am in!
Any thoughts

Bump, So no data or testing on the 55d lowering springs????
Old 11/29/12, 07:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I wondered this same question. The lack of anyone testing them lead me to give up on them.
Old 11/30/12, 09:17 AM
Bullitt Member

I am leaning that way as well, I am baffled that the company would not respond to the inquiry, unless there is nothing to respond with. I even went back to thier website and reviewed the info, no PERFORMANCE data, but a lot of talking about the brembo package, etc. I really appreciate the brembo package info, but 169 bucks for a spring cut off to reflect a 1/2 inch drop is not a wise investment, unless you just like them, then cool(:
Old 11/30/12, 11:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The 55D Web site says the new springs are the same rate as the Brembo Package springs, at 167 lb/in. I would expect them to behave pretty much the same, but at a half-inch lower location of the rear body. If they really are 167 lb/in springs they should work a little better at resisting body roll in the rear, maybe like a very slightly stiffer rear stabilizer bar: a bit less understeer?

The picture above doesn't encourage me; I suppose the flimsier look of the new spring may be due to a different material. I'm going to wait for an independent measurement of the actual spring rate. Bet on a long wait, eh?
Old 12/1/12, 01:00 AM
V6 Member

I thought I would attempt to respond to some of you guys who keep asking for data. I don't live on these message boards , so my lack of a response means I'm kind of busy. But here I am.

Lets look at a few facts. If your read all the "MARKETING INFO" about the 55D Spring, you would understand why the spring was made.
1) It was made to give a Brembo Owner another option to have a better look. (1/2" rear drop)
2) Keep the same ride quality as OEM
3) and to work with stock components and the OEM specs, without the need to spend several hundred or a thousand dollars on other suspension components. (ie. shocks, strut mounts, panhard bar etc.)

What ever increase there is in performance, it's just a by product of a lower CG, which was not the original intent, just an added bonus. However, this slight performance is there and many owner have testified to better traction and handling. Which I can say is correct.

Most companies who do sell springs, do not share their "definitive test data" if the "spring kit" is just for the "Street Market". (that would be considered an oxymoron) If you don't believe me try getting that data just on the "Spring" Performance alone, from other companies like H&R, Steeda, Saleen, or even Eibach. You won't because, most change everything in their testing ( i.e. shocks, bushing, control arms, sway bars, etc.)

Most real data comes from racers and race cars, who NEED this type of data to be faster on a "race track" , not on the street.

However, I'm not opposed to having others spend their money just to test our spring to get that "definitive test data", they so desperately are trying to attain or should I say make a negative issue?

Call me crazy, but I think their are a few on this thread who have ulterior motives.

If you still do not understand what my point is, then the 55D Springs are not for you and would not server any useful purpose to you. Buy something else that does.

However, customers who do understand, buy them and love them, because the WORK! Plain and simple. Not to mention that the kit's $149.00 price tag is one hell of deal, investment wise, on a $30,000+ car. Don't you think?

Last edited by Bucephalus; 12/1/12 at 01:36 AM.
Old 12/1/12, 07:27 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Bucephalus
I thought I would attempt to respond to some of you guys who keep asking for data. I don't live on these message boards , so my lack of a response means I'm kind of busy. But here I am.

Lets look at a few facts. If your read all the "MARKETING INFO" about the 55D Spring, you would understand why the spring was made.
1) It was made to give a Brembo Owner another option to have a better look. (1/2" rear drop)
2) Keep the same ride quality as OEM
3) and to work with stock components and the OEM specs, without the need to spend several hundred or a thousand dollars on other suspension components. (ie. shocks, strut mounts, panhard bar etc.)

What ever increase there is in performance, it's just a by product of a lower CG, which was not the original intent, just an added bonus. However, this slight performance is there and many owner have testified to better traction and handling. Which I can say is correct.

Most companies who do sell springs, do not share their "definitive test data" if the "spring kit" is just for the "Street Market". (that would be considered an oxymoron) If you don't believe me try getting that data just on the "Spring" Performance alone, from other companies like H&R, Steeda, Saleen, or even Eibach. You won't because, most change everything in their testing ( i.e. shocks, bushing, control arms, sway bars, etc.)

Most real data comes from racers and race cars, who NEED this type of data to be faster on a "race track" , not on the street.

However, I'm not opposed to having others spend their money just to test our spring to get that "definitive test data", they so desperately are trying to attain or should I say make a negative issue?

Call me crazy, but I think their are a few on this thread who have ulterior motives.

If you still do not understand what my point is, then the 55D Springs are not for you and would not server any useful purpose to you. Buy something else that does.

However, customers who do understand, buy them and love them, because the WORK! Plain and simple. Not to mention that the kit's $149.00 price tag is one hell of deal, investment wise, on a $30,000+ car. Don't you think?
Maybe I'm reading something into this but you seem to get defensive over what should be a simple question. Your answer seems to be no, I do not have any test data because if you need test data you do not belong to my target market. There are some,like me, that were interested in your product but intended to track the car occasionally.

The issue of performance becomes relevant for that customer base. Presuming that people asking for some type of specifications or testing are out to get you seems counterproductive. Your product does seem like a quality part and I which you luck. Your responses do smack a bit too much of overt salesmanship. It tends to turn some people off of what seems to be a fine product.

Last edited by Mr. V; 12/1/12 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12/1/12, 08:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I have been running the 55D springs for about a month now on my '13 brembo, and they have decreased body roll, and almost eliminated wheel hop. For under $150 it's a no brainer if you are looking to shrink the fender gap and keep the stock ride quality. I have not had the car to a track yet, but hustling around in normal everyday driving, it is much more composed and more fun to drive. Just my 2 cents

Name:  DF94862F.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  166.9 KB

Stock on the left, 55D on the right
Old 12/1/12, 09:00 AM
Bullitt Member

First let me say I really appreciate the responses from the company and those who have this product on their car., THANKS
Secondly, I am just a regular car guy and have no ulterior motives, other than to get the best bang for the dollar on any aftermarket products I buy.
Third, if I were the company I would try to seperate myself from the spring companies and provide complete data on the springs, including track data.
Fourth, this is a great forum and I have learned more than I imagined from all the posters, really enjoy it!
Old 12/1/12, 02:13 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
Maybe I'm reading something into this but you seem to get defensive over what should be a simple question. Presuming that people asking for some type of specifications or testing are out to get you seems counterproductive. Your product does seem like a quality part and I which you luck. Your responses do smack a bit too much of overt salesmanship. It tends to turn some people off of what seems to be a fine product.
Originally Posted by Mustang259
I am just a regular car guy and have no ulterior motives, ......... if I were the company I would try to seperate myself from the spring companies and provide complete data on the springs, including track data.
My apology for being defensive. But the 55D Spring is a "David" in a "Goliath" Spring Industry. First and foremost, I'm am a Mustang Enthusiast. One who saw a need and reason for the 55D Spring to be made. It's a very small niche in which I have sold less than 250 sets.

For me, having the 55D Spring made, is a large dollar investment for such a small return on it. There is no advertising dollars to spend, just the "word of mouth" and our small Brembo50.com community. That's why it's important to me that we make a quality PRODUCT THAT WORKS! It's reputation is it's life force. When someone does ask for something that isn't normally asked of other "Goliath" spring companies, such as test data or track data, it is only natural to assume that the request is made with malicious intent. Making it seem to others that if we don't or can't supply the data, then the 55D Spring Kit has no worth of consideration or any performance value.

If that is not your intent, again I apologize. I am more than confident that should you buy these 55D springs you'll find that for everyday driving and occasional tracking they will exceed the performance of the stock Brembo springs and make your car look better than stock too. I can also state no other modifications or parts are needed to make our 55D Springs work on your car. It's a simple plug and play deal.

For the record, it just so happens that the 55D Spring also has been a solution to not just the Brembo Cars (which it was designed for) but also the standard GTs , V6s and even a few Boss 302s.

Hope this clarifies any misunderstandings.

Last edited by Bucephalus; 12/1/12 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12/3/12, 11:31 AM
Bullitt Member

I want to say thanks for filling that gap! My non Brembo GT handles so much better now. My car will probably never see a track, but it sees plenty of entertaining roads along with around town and highway driving. I need a comfortable ride and wasn't willing to sacrifice comfort and ride height for handling, so this was a good solution to reducing body roll and that annoying lift to the sky of the front end under power. I still get some lift, but not much and the rear end feels more planted and predictable under hard launches. Thanks again!!!
Old 12/3/12, 06:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

For the record, there shouldn't be any drama here; just a question and an answer.

Is the 55D spring actually the same rate as the stock spring? What material and/or dimensional differences are there between the two?
Old 12/3/12, 07:33 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by frank s
Is the 55D spring actually the same rate as the stock spring? What material and/or dimensional differences are there between the two?
Spring rate is 170 lbs. Spring is made of High tensile strength chrome-silicon oil tempered steel (CrSi) using the cold coiling process. Dimensional difference is 1/2".
Old 12/5/12, 04:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thank you. It looks to me as if the Ford spring is built of thicker wire and has maybe a little larger coil diameter: I surmise the newer spring matches the older spring's rate through a combination of material, coil diameter, and length differences.

Quick Reply: 55D Spring Kit