Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

2014 Track Pack Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 6/15/13, 05:45 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
There is a good amount of travel so I will need to stiffen it up down the road but its comfy for the street and for getting used to the car in my opinion
Old 6/16/13, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottV
I'm not planning on putting it on the track but am used to My infiniti G37 Coupe that handled like a slot car. I'll put some miles on the new ride and see how it is. I'm wonder if I could just put the FR adjustable sway bars in to cut down on body lean and leave it at that.

Scott
I would imagine that the adjustable sway bars would help with the body roll. I'm not sure how much effect it will have on the harshness and bouncy felling. The CorteX guys were telling me that the spring rates and valving on the shocks were not matched well from the Ford factory no matter what flavor of Mustang you buy. Sway bars would be a good start.

I have never ridden in an Infiniti G37 Coupe. My experience is with BMW 328i Coupes and they ride awesome. I'm now happy to say my Mustang rides and handles better than BMWs.
Old 6/16/13, 12:01 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This TP suspension is either the most under or over engineered system of this car. I'm looking for fine tuned in the middle.
Old 6/16/13, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
This TP suspension is either the most under or over engineered system of this car. I'm looking for fine tuned in the middle.
I agree that this is a well engineered car even with the factory tuned suspension but it definitely needs help to get it to the perfect feel and comfort level to suit a particular person. Luckily for the Mustang community we have a ton of choices.
Old 6/17/13, 02:04 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Very true. I would really just like to be able to put the power I have down to the ground as efficient as possible before I start adding power. I'm tired of hearing "Solid rear axle blah blah blah".
Old 6/17/13, 11:03 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got my clear bra coating put on today so now i can start putting some miles on my Mustang. The one thing I know i don't have to upgrade is the radio - who cares how it sounds with the sound the engine is making. I just pulled out of the dealership and what pulls up next to me but a new Camaro. I really had to use a LOT of restraint since i only have 250 miles on the car and am not comfortable with it yet but boy was it tempting to just let it rip.

Scott
Old 6/18/13, 12:16 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

That's awesome. When I was just off the lot and headed to the gas station so they could fill it up for me I had a truck driver hanging out of his window giving me compliments. That was at the first stop light off the lot less than a 1/4 mile down the road. Good feeling.
Old 6/18/13, 12:46 AM

Very true. I would really just like to be able to put the power I have down to the ground as efficient as possible before I start adding power. I'm tired of hearing "Solid rear axle blah blah blah".
Putting all the "power" to the ground is the ultimate goal. Tuning the suspension to let the tires handle acceleration, breaking, and lateral grip to their maximum potential start with a good base of components beyond what the factory offers. Once dialed in the suspension can be tuned to meet the needs of the drivers style/preference and the tire choice. I believe the live axle can be as good in performance as IRS. Are there good tuning shops for Mustangs where you are in Germany?
Old 6/18/13, 04:18 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

There is one that I know of so far. It is one of the only importers of new Mustangs to Europe currently. They do custom stuff too. The had a 900HP Cobra when I went for a car meet there. I don't know if they have a dyno on site but they had the sheet in the window so there's once close to them. My car brand new with the Track Pack and Recaro options cost a local German around 57K Euro which is $76K so more than M3 money in the states.

Last edited by Stevedotmil; 6/18/13 at 04:22 AM.
Old 6/18/13, 08:11 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
That's awesome. When I was just off the lot and headed to the gas station so they could fill it up for me I had a truck driver hanging out of his window giving me compliments. That was at the first stop light off the lot less than a 1/4 mile down the road. Good feeling.
I have had similar experiences so far - car is quite a head turner. I was used to my B5 S4 before which was only recognized by a few, which of course was fun, but it's a blast to have lots of heads turn and people talk about the car as they walk past. Had a ~15 year old kid tell his brother "That's the 5.0!" this past weekend as I was walking back to my car in a parking lot. His mom was laughing cause she saw I overheard, but it feels great
Old 9/1/13, 11:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 55r2014
I found my track pack suspension to be firm but harsh and floaty. To me, the rear end of the car kinda swallows under load in turns and doesn't feel stable. I upgraded to an adjustable coil front strut and a coilover rear.

I lowered the car 2 inches. The ride is still firm but not harsh. The suspension soaks up big bumps nicely without bottoming. There is no drama from the back of the car.
Which system did you go with?

[QUOTE=Mr. V;6641329]

I found my track pack suspension to be firm but harsh and floaty. To me, the rear end of the car kinda swallows under load in turns and doesn't feel stable.

I agree with your description. It's not a bad set up. It just isn't a performance set up. I didn't do a coil over set up like you but I changed the springs and shocks. I'm very happy with my set up.
Same question

Just getting some ideas for the future. Was looking at some items from Kenny Brown and wondering if they might be good choices. Maybe just some chassis stuff and their rear "trac pac". I thought about getting those rear springs from brembo50.com along with the KB upgrades. Thoughts?
Old 9/1/13, 01:07 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I went with Koni sport shocks and struts, steeda sport springs, steeda billet lcas, steeda relocation brackets, steeda torque box brace, and maximum motorsports camber correction plates. I didn't change sways because I actually like the balance of the car as is. I probably went overboard for my application but I love how the car drives now. You can also pm me if you have any questions.
Old 9/1/13, 03:52 PM

[QUOTE=mustang5o;6681622]Which system did you go with?

Originally Posted by Mr. V

Same question

Just getting some ideas for the future. Was looking at some items from Kenny Brown and wondering if they might be good choices. Maybe just some chassis stuff and their rear "trac pac". I thought about getting those rear springs from brembo50.com along with the KB upgrades. Thoughts?
I went with the CorteX Xtreme suspension. Watts link, rear Koni coil overs, adjustable lower control arms, CorteX/Koni front struts. The front springs are 8 inch 450 pound springs. The rear springs are 8 inch 225 pounds. There is 3 inchs of adjustment in the rear and 6 inches in the front. These spring rates are for the street.
Old 9/3/13, 01:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My track package Mustang handles like a pig compared to my previous ride, a BMW M Roadster, which handled like a 330hp go kart. When BMW said it provides the ultimate driving experience, they meant it. Not to say my track package Mustang doesn't handle well - it does - but nowhere near the level of the BMW. But to be honest I really don't care because that's not what the Mustang is about. I bought the Mustang to get the glorious five point o liter engine stuffed under the hood.

Last edited by GRN 5OH; 9/3/13 at 01:29 PM.
Old 9/3/13, 06:30 PM
Bullitt Member

i have an engineer at my plant that has told me that the track pack cars get the boss 302 short block but with the gt's pistons. I dont doubt him at all and that alone would make alot of sense since our track pack car recommend 5w-50 wight oil

Last edited by Gogoggansgo; 9/3/13 at 07:39 PM.
Old 9/5/13, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by GRN 5OH
My track package Mustang handles like a pig compared to my previous ride, a BMW M Roadster, which handled like a 330hp go kart. When BMW said it provides the ultimate driving experience, they meant it. Not to say my track package Mustang doesn't handle well - it does - but nowhere near the level of the BMW. But to be honest I really don't care because that's not what the Mustang is about. I bought the Mustang to get the glorious five point o liter engine stuffed under the hood.
The factory track pack suspension is not very good especially compared to a BMW. A suspension upgrade is definitely needed. My car now rides and handles like a BMW if you can believe that. My girlfriend has owned nothing but BMWs for the past 20 years and now thinks my upgraded GT handles and drives better than hers. You cam make these mustangs work extremely well with the right suspension upgrades.
Old 9/5/13, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Gogoggansgo
i have an engineer at my plant that has told me that the track pack cars get the boss 302 short block but with the gt's pistons. I dont doubt him at all and that alone would make alot of sense since our track pack car recommend 5w-50 wight oil
That makes sense seeing as that there are a couple of other components that come from the Boss 302. Be prepared for $90 plus oil changes. 5w-50 oil is expensive compared to other more common oils.
Old 9/5/13, 12:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The factory track pack suspension is not very good especially compared to a BMW. A suspension upgrade is definitely needed. My car now rides and handles like a BMW if you can believe that. My girlfriend has owned nothing but BMWs for the past 20 years and now thinks my upgraded GT handles and drives better than hers. You cam make these mustangs work extremely well with the right suspension upgrades.
I would have to ride in a Mustang with suspension mods to make that determination myself. But if I were to do anything to my Mustang (still bone stock after a year of ownership) it would be suspension mods.
Old 9/5/13, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by GRN 5OH
I would have to ride in a Mustang with suspension mods to make that determination myself. But if I were to do anything to my Mustang (still bone stock after a year of ownership) it would be suspension mods.
Where are you located? You are welcome to take a ride in my car to feel the difference. I'm in CA.
Old 9/5/13, 04:13 PM

Good feedback on the suspension. I'm looking forward to getting the FRPP adjustable handling pack, but that's way down the road.

Quick Reply: 2014 Track Pack Suspension