Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

2011 GT rear brakes overheating on track days

Search this Thread

Old 3/8/15, 01:29 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I spoke with the Carbotech tech he noted my tires, driving style and experience then recommended XP24 Front and XP12 rear. I run NT01 tires in Advanced/instructor group. Nice that the XP12 rear can just be left on all the time. I only have to change out the front Bobcats over to the track XP24 when I head to the track as they are ok for getting to the track and back. And the Bobcat street pads are same materials so no need to clean or change rotors.
Carbotech are very solid.

I have JLT front brake cooling ducts. Cooling ducts in front are needed for almost all situations of track use if you have the skill and tires.

Last edited by todcp; 3/8/15 at 01:31 PM.
Old 3/8/15, 02:07 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by todcp
When I spoke with the Carbotech tech he noted my tires, driving style and experience then recommended XP24 Front and XP12 rear. I run NT01 tires in Advanced/instructor group. Nice that the XP12 rear can just be left on all the time. I only have to change out the front Bobcats over to the track XP24 when I head to the track as they are ok for getting to the track and back. And the Bobcat street pads are same materials so no need to clean or change rotors.
Carbotech are very solid.
Todd, I'm a bit surprised you can leave XP12s on the rear. Carbotech doesn't recommend using anything over AX6 for daily driving. I've been using XP10s for track days up front, with stock rears. This year I plan on putting AX6 in the rear and leaving them there for DD and track duties. I'm an intermediate driver. Now I'm wondering if I should throw XP8s out back and leave them there?

How long have you run XP12 on the back? Is there squeeling or rotor wear issues? I also have XP8s for the rear, which I bought as a replacement set but haven't used yet. I assumed it would be too aggressive for DD...
Old 3/8/15, 02:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
The rep at Carbotech told me that leaving the XP 8 on the rears is fine for daily driving that there would be no brake squeal or brake dust. That's good news as you all know changing the rear brake pads this more difficult than the fronts.
Old 3/9/15, 11:38 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I ran into the SC kicking in yesterday at the track. The HP+ pads held up great. I overfilled the fluid a bit and had to take some out. I'm still a little reluctant to turn it all the way off. Hockenheim is awesome by the way. 2:25 was my fastest. When it got crowded it was kind of a pain because the faster cars were passing all over the place. It's a tourist day and not an actual organized track day so normal German driving rules apply.....kind of. Had a blast. When I figure out my videos and how to chop them up so they aren't so large to upload I will post them on my thread.

I used my DSLR on my tripod that was wedged behind the Recaros and then ratchet strapped into the child seat anchors. Worked awesome.

Last edited by Stevedotmil; 3/9/15 at 11:40 AM.
Old 3/9/15, 11:48 AM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
I ran into the SC kicking in yesterday at the track. The HP+ pads held up great. I overfilled the fluid a bit and had to take some out. I'm still a little reluctant to turn it all the way off. Hockenheim is awesome by the way. 2:25 was my fastest. When it got crowded it was kind of a pain because the faster cars were passing all over the place. It's a tourist day and not an actual organized track day so normal German driving rules apply.....kind of. Had a blast. When I figure out my videos and how to chop them up so they aren't so large to upload I will post them on my thread.

I used my DSLR on my tripod that was wedged behind the Recaros and then ratchet strapped into the child seat anchors. Worked awesome.
---
Steve - post up that video when you're done. I use Windows Movie Maker. It's free movie-editing software from Microsoft. Pretty easy, and simple. Good for adding/editing/video/music/photos. I make my track videos with it. It's certainly not professional, but works good for us simple folk. I, too, am reluctant to turn TC/SC all the way off, but I will try it in May at my next track event. If I'm okay, great. If it's too loose, I'll turn it back on, into Sport Mode. Based on all the info and input from others, I'm pretty sure that TC/SC is chewing up my rear brakes on track days. I guess it was not made for that...oh well.
Old 3/9/15, 12:27 PM
Banned

Pete, you've done your share of track days by now, and I think your skills are now beyond what Sport Mode can do for you. I go full off for track days, and the one time I didn't I got pad deposits on the rears from ESP/TCS hits. I'd recommend doing the first few laps (or a session) in Sport mode, so you get a good feel for the track conditions and tire grip, and then go full off for the rest of it. You may spin if you push too hard, but that's completely up to you at this point.

Also, regarding pads here is a great article on the topic:
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...k-days-535793/

And Steve, can't wait to see the vids!

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 3/9/15 at 12:31 PM.
Old 3/9/15, 12:35 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Uploading lap 1 right now to YouTube. Took me a bit to figure out how to splice it and add titles and stuff.
Old 3/9/15, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Pete, you've done your share of track days by now, and I think your skills are now beyond what Sport Mode can do for you. I go full off for track days, and the one time I didn't I got pad deposits on the rears from ESP/TCS hits. I'd recommend doing the first few laps (or a session) in Sport mode, so you get a good feel for the track conditions and tire grip, and then go full off for the rest of it. You may spin if you push too hard, but that's completely up to you at this point.
---
Thanks. At my next track day I will try it with TC/SC fully off. Slowly at first and then work my way faster. Learning the limits is easy with this car and my simple set-up. I've just always assumed 'Sport Mode' was for track use, but I guess not for advanced track driving. And when my front brake set-up was working great and not overheating or scoring, I was completely puzzled why the rears were getting burnt and chewed up. I've had this problem for a couple years now...so happy to find the cause/solution. Love TMS for stuff like this.
FYI - great prices/service at American Muscle for the Hawk pads...thanks Alex! (if anyone needs help, AMAlexLazarus is on this forum)
Old 3/9/15, 01:40 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Old 3/9/15, 02:21 PM
Banned

Sweet! Track looks awesome. I like large amounts of run-off room. Car sounds great too!
Old 3/10/15, 05:44 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Thanks. My friend Dave was trying to catch me in his 2013 Shelby and ended up losing his brakes on the first hairpin causing him to slide off sideways at 100mph coming to a stop feel from the wall. Stock brake fluid and HPS pads. He flatspotted his drivers front new PSS tire in the process. Small price to pay. The rest of the 1st session videos will be up later in the motorsport section of the forum.
Old 3/10/15, 05:58 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Lap 2

Old 3/10/15, 08:26 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PJRManagement
Thanks - Chris, Brandon, & Tod. I'm so naïve that I never considered that TC or SC would work those rear brakes so hard. No wonder I've been baffled for a couple years now. My fronts (4-pot Brembos, 14") are fine. but the rears get killed after just 4-5 laps. So strange with fronts taking 75% of the work. Now it makes some sense, the TC/SC system is constantly intervening.
Brandon - slow down? Now way, man! That's what HPDE is for, to get better and faster!
Here's my three-part plan: (1) remove rear dust shields; (2) swap Boss/SVT pads for Hawk; (3) turn TC/SC all the way off.
Thank you!
Just to be clear, I never said slow down, that would be silly. After Hawk's you will want more and at that point check out Carbotech's, I will be running XP20 fronts and XP8 or 10 rears this coming Saturday. I am looking forward to how well they work at the track. Ran XP10 front and XP8 rears on a termi swapped Fox at the track and they worked extremely well.
Old 3/10/15, 08:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brandon302
Just to be clear, I never said slow down, that would be silly. After Hawk's you will want more and at that point check out Carbotech's, I will be running XP20 fronts and XP8 or 10 rears this coming Saturday. I am looking forward to how well they work at the track. Ran XP10 front and XP8 rears on a termi swapped Fox at the track and they worked extremely well.
Good call. I have been running XP10s up front with great success. This year I think I'll put XP8s in the back and leave them there for DD and track duty. I've had great luck with Carbotech so far. Changing front pads for track days is a must in my opinion.
Old 3/10/15, 08:47 AM

Lap 2
---
nice...what was that red little box car in front of you? he was moving well.
Old 3/10/15, 07:10 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The difference between the feeling of full off and Sport mode is pretty similar but it won't intervene if you begin to spin/slide. IMO this is much nicer because if I begin to lose control I want to be able to modulate the throttle which TC cuts when you begin to slide. If you take a little slower with TC full off and work your way back up I guarantee you will prefer it.
Old 3/10/15, 08:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Great videos!
I can't wait for more track days!
Old 3/11/15, 08:29 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
---
nice...what was that red little box car in front of you? he was moving well.
New Fiesta ST. That is a friend of mine. He had full winter tires on too. ha ha. Not All seasons, winters...
Old 3/11/15, 08:33 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

The difference between the feeling of full off and Sport mode is pretty similar but it won't intervene if you begin to spin/slide. IMO this is much nicer because if I begin to lose control I want to be able to modulate the throttle which TC cuts when you begin to slide. If you take a little slower with TC full off and work your way back up I guarantee you will prefer it.
I will try this for the next time I'm out. This might actually be at the Nurburgring though so I may be in Sport for the first lap to guage the corner speeds. Then if I'm comfortable I will try it with full off. I really got a great feel for the LSD pushing my through the turns and helping the rear end rotate with throttle input. Fun times. I'm super addicted now. I may get some Carbotech rears when I upgrade to the Steeda rear larger kit. I am debating on either the Ford Racing ducting that goes where I have no lower fogs or the JLT kit. Thoughts?
Old 3/11/15, 09:04 AM
Banned

^ This. If will feel slower, but in fact you will get better lap times driving full off if you do it right. Stability control brake interventions on outside wheels really slow you down and add time to your laps. Even if you slide a little in full off, you can maintain your momentum and manage slide with throttle/steering. Managing weight transfer is key, and Traction Control as well as Stability Control don't let you do that.

Quick Reply: 2011 GT rear brakes overheating on track days