Notices
Race Red

What type of Microfiber cloth do you use to dry your car?

Search this Thread

Old 6/29/14, 01:00 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My parents just washed my car yesterday while I was at work. They pulled it into the garage to dry. And since my tC was black you couldn't see the water spots but since my Mustang is red you can see the water spots clear as day. I'm just curious if the ones from AutoZone work well or is there others that are better? Or is there a way of drying it without a microfiber cloth and not getting water spots?

Thanks for the help
Also, I'm sorry if I put this in the wrong category. Feel free to move it to the correct category

Last edited by MustangLover2013; 6/29/14 at 01:31 PM.
Old 6/29/14, 01:43 PM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
My Mustang is black and I've gotten very **** about keeping it as clean as possible at all times.

I don't think there's one Microfiber towel that's better than the rest. I bought a lot of them...several wash-cloth sized, and a few large ones. I keep a small stash in the trunk for shows and cruises, and the rest are with my detailing stuff in the garage.

I wash the car much differently than with other cars. I do a section at a time, let the water dribble-rinse on the completed section, then use a squeege before I microfiber- towel it dry. There's always overlap and therefore a lot of redundancy, and of course that means it takes longer, but that's the price of admission if you want to keep water spots to a minimum. I still get a few though, and the stubborn ones are removed with straight vinegar that I keep in a spray bottle.

Keeping a good wax coat also helps the water bead up. Every few days I treat it to a full coat of Meguiars spray wax....just wipe it off...very neat, easy, and fast.

Tom

Last edited by TripleBlack14; 6/29/14 at 01:44 PM.
Old 6/30/14, 04:19 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,200 Posts
I use the blue towels to dry and the white ones to buff the car.
BIG bucks, but very worth it.
Buffing
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-d...l#.U7Hh4bGGe0I
Drying
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-d...l#.U7HiD7GGe0I
Old 6/30/14, 05:43 PM
Bullitt Member

I use white or blue from Sam's or Costco, one to wash and another to dry after I blow it dry with a dedicated electric leaf blower. Blue or white too remove wax too. The Yellow towels are AWFUL in either case, they streak and leave lint etc even when new, no good for waxing either.....
Old 6/30/14, 06:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
I use waffle weave microfiber. The cheap ones work OK, the better ones (available online) work a lot better and hold more water.

I got my Microfiber from Detailed Image. It's pretty good quality.
Old 3/1/15, 04:01 PM
GT Member

I use Chemical Guys microfiber towels. After I wash my car I use my leaf blower to remove/blow off the water and then use Chemical Guys V7 detailer for a perfect shine without any water spots. Btw...if you use a grocery store plastic bag over your hand and GENTLY run it over your paint you will definitely feel if you need to clay bar the car.
Old 3/1/15, 06:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by MustangLover2013
My parents just washed my car yesterday while I was at work. They pulled it into the garage to dry. And since my tC was black you couldn't see the water spots but since my Mustang is red you can see the water spots clear as day. I'm just curious if the ones from AutoZone work well or is there others that are better? Or is there a way of drying it without a microfiber cloth and not getting water spots?

Thanks for the help
Also, I'm sorry if I put this in the wrong category. Feel free to move it to the correct category
There are tons of opinions on this, I'll share mine knowing it has its good and bad points...

I use the microfiber from Sam's Club because they are available in multiple colors; so to dry my car I use the blue ones for example. I use orange for polish, green for wax, and yellow for vinyl. The point is even though there's better microfibers, I think these are good enough and cheap enough that I can buy enough not to have to do laundry all the time and when I do it's easy to wash the same type together.

As far as your black car not showing water spots and your red car showing them... Black shows everything! Make sure you don't have hard water deposits or etching on the red car. Just wash and dry one panel in the shade, and be super careful about the drying part. If the spots come back (or reappear right after you've swiped once with the towel) they're attached to the paint and need special attention.
Old 8/20/15, 02:45 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use microfiber towels got off of Amazon Zwipes - not too bad and they come in different colors but for the most part use a blower attachment to blow most of the water off. Works great.
Old 8/21/15, 01:09 AM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a couple of largeish towels from chemical guys and they do a good job of drying.
Old 8/21/15, 08:53 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
waffle weave microfiber from any one should do the trick. i got the one from amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-X2000-Magnet-Microfiber-Drying/dp/B0009IQZFM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440168431&sr=8-1&keywords=waffle+weave+microfiber http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-X2000-Magnet-Microfiber-Drying/dp/B0009IQZFM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440168431&sr=8-1&keywords=waffle+weave+microfiber
Old 8/21/15, 10:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I just use a bath towel. It is so humid around here, a microfiber towel just moves the water around.
Old 8/21/15, 11:22 AM
GT Member

Mine is black and I use this towel from Chemical Guys to dry.
http://www.chemicalguys.com/Car_Dryi..._p/mic_725.htm
Like Dave, I use CG Hybrid V7 after washing.
Old 8/21/15, 07:47 PM
GT Member

I thought about this thread a bit ago as I was doing my weekly wash. I should mention it takes me about three hours to do a basic wash. Im pretty sure tom is in the same boat.

Last edited by HMR-TYM; 8/21/15 at 07:51 PM.
Old 8/22/15, 09:55 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MustangLover2013

Thanks for the help
I don't think it's the towel that's the problem. I think your parents let the drops dry up before they put the car in the garage to dry it and it was too late by then.

What I do is wash the whole car and leave the suds on it until I'm ready to rinse the whole car at the same time. Then when I'm ready to rinse I remove the nozzle from the hose and rinse it letting the water come out in a sheet and not a spray. This minimizes the amount of water drops because you are sheeting the soap away. Start from the top and move down so it sheets from the highest point to the lowest.

Then you can put the car in the garage and start drying the water drops before they dry up on you.