2012-2013 BOSS 302

WINDOW STICKER IS UP!

Search this Thread

Old 2/10/11, 04:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cloud9, here's what I've learned from several calls regarding our parts we want:
Trans Cooling Scoop: it'll be at least 1 April until available.
Brake Ducts: Late Model Resto said they'll get them next week or so.

As for brake lines, my opinion is that if the Boss' are not no-kidding braided stainless, then I'm buying some and putting them on. It makes too much of a difference not to...
As for brakes and tires, I'm probably going to get the Boss 302R wheels and 275 Nitto NT-01s. Rehagen says that you do NOT need axle studs but you do need the racing lug nuts, plus 1/8" spacers on the front.
Old 2/10/11, 06:08 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by StillIntense
Cloud9, here's what I've learned from several calls regarding our parts we want:

As for brake lines, my opinion is that if the Boss' are not no-kidding braided stainless, then I'm buying some and putting them on. It makes too much of a difference not to...
As for brakes and tires, I'm probably going to get the Boss 302R wheels and 275 Nitto NT-01s. Rehagen says that you do NOT need axle studs but you do need the racing lug nuts, plus 1/8" spacers on the front.
Rehagen should know. Wonder why spacers are needed?
Old 2/10/11, 06:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Congrats!

Looking forward to seeing it, it shouldn't be too much longer!
Old 2/10/11, 06:50 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by phytrpilot
Glad to see no horsepower figure is included on the window sticker.
Why?
Old 2/10/11, 06:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Why?
Why help insurance companies raise rates!
Old 2/10/11, 06:53 PM
Bullitt Member

PACETTR: The 1/8" spacers are needed on the fronts only for the 275 width tires to clear the strut. Rehagen was VERY helpful today.
On another note, they said that there was absolutely no reason to run staggered sizes front to rear for racing....
Old 2/10/11, 08:03 PM
Cobra Member

OK, start checking the window sticker site all, mine appeared this morning!!!!

Showing a scheduled build date (I believe) of Feb 15th.

Last six of VIN are 200331.
Congrats Mark! Mine should be showing by tomorrow - my production date is set for 2/17
Old 2/10/11, 08:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea they are not steel braided and I'll be ordering them. Good to know on the brake cooling kit so we should be able to have that here when the cars arrive.

I already ordered Enkei PF01 18 x 9.5 with 45mm offset and got them for $1260 shipped which is less than half the price of the BBS wheels. They will both fit a 275 well and they both weigh 20 lbs. so I couldn't justify the cost. I just need to make sure they don't need a spacer up front. What should I look for on clearance to know whether it needs a spacer? (Outside of an obvious rubbing when rotating the tire or turning it chock to chock) They clear the Brembos fine on my GT500 and there's plenty of clearance on the struts, but my GT500 has 9.5w stock fronts to begin with.

Last edited by cloud9; 2/10/11 at 08:31 PM.
Old 2/10/11, 08:48 PM
Bullitt Member

That's tough to ensure that no rubbing will occur short of driving the car. Obviously, it can also change as the front suspension compresses and extends in the vertical plane. Would say though that if you put the wheel/tire on and it's at least a 1/2" away from the strut with the car on the ground (not jacked up) then you're probably safe. Spacers are pretty cheap to have on hand just in case, but I wouldn't go any thicker than 1/8 due to lug length and having enough threads engaged by the nut.
Old 2/10/11, 08:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Steve, thanks!
You should see yours tomorrow......as you said. It's gonna be fun....
Old 2/10/11, 08:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Smile

That's tough to ensure that no rubbing will occur short of driving the car. Obviously, it can also change as the front suspension compresses and extends in the vertical plane. Would say though that if you put the wheel/tire on and it's at least a 1/2" away from the strut with the car on the ground (not jacked up) then you're probably safe. Spacers are pretty cheap to have on hand just in case, but I wouldn't go any thicker than 1/8 due to lug length and having enough threads engaged by the nut.
Back in the old days (late 70's to '81) I was an engineer with Light Truck Advanced Engineering at Parklane Tower and worked brake/wheel packages. One concern about changing wheel offset, i.e. adding wheel shims is that you differentially stress the wheel bearing design which can lead to bearing failure or worse. Just a thought to keep in mind. I'm sure design specs have handled a lot of that old engineering.
Old 2/10/11, 09:34 PM
Bullitt Member

wheel spacers

I've never been comfortable running spacers on the track. Rehagen told me that Ford / BBS are working on a new version of that wheel that will fit 'street' boss's without requiring spacers. that's the setup I'm waiting for.
Old 2/11/11, 06:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Hmmm. I ran 3/8" spacers on the rear of my 95 Cobra R for 5 years of track days with no problems at all.
And I can't really wait for wheels/tires in the future as I'm planning on putting the Boss on track within a few weeks of taking delivery (as soon as I can put a thousand miles on it or so).
Really don't think that 1/8" spacers are that big of a deal. Really its no different than increasing wheel/tire width. In either case you're still pushing the effective center of mass of the wheel/tire outboard, and we don't see bearing failure with simply adding a wider wheel/tire combo.
Old 2/11/11, 08:57 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm. I ran 3/8" spacers on the rear of my 95 Cobra R for 5 years of track days with no problems at all.
And I can't really wait for wheels/tires in the future as I'm planning on putting the Boss on track within a few weeks of taking delivery (as soon as I can put a thousand miles on it or so).
Really don't think that 1/8" spacers are that big of a deal. Really its no different than increasing wheel/tire width. In either case you're still pushing the effective center of mass of the wheel/tire outboard, and we don't see bearing failure with simply adding a wider wheel/tire combo.
My friend with his 98 Cobra runs spacers and his is a track only car. In fact, when I called Rehagen initially about the BBS wheels two months ago, they said run a 1/4" spacer with the different lug (closed). It looks like they've resvised that to 1/8". I'll just have to see how they look when I get the car. Does anyone know the offset on the stock Boss wheels? I'm adding 1/2" overall width so hoping it only pushes them in 1/4" but that depends on the stock offsets. There is a thread on this site somewhere showing someone running 315s up front...not that I'd even try that, but hoping the 275 on this wheel will be o.k. I guess worst case I will need to return two of the 9.5s and get the 9s as they will still take a 275.

Last edited by cloud9; 2/11/11 at 08:58 AM.
Old 2/11/11, 09:00 AM
Bullitt Member

I was not talking about rear wheel spacer additions. Those only increase the half shaft width which is already supported by two sets of bearings; so there is effectively no increase in bearing load on the outer. It's a different story for the front. When adding spacers to the front independent axle you are changing the offset of the original wheel design and changing the load on the bearing. Think of it as putting torque on the bearing where none existed in the original design. Granted, using 1/8" spacers probably won't cause much harm but additional stress, however slight, is imposed which over time can lead to premature bearing failure, overheating and potential axle failure.
Old 2/11/11, 10:56 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
My friend with his 98 Cobra runs spacers and his is a track only car. In fact, when I called Rehagen initially about the BBS wheels two months ago, they said run a 1/4" spacer with the different lug (closed). It looks like they've resvised that to 1/8". I'll just have to see how they look when I get the car. Does anyone know the offset on the stock Boss wheels? I'm adding 1/2" overall width so hoping it only pushes them in 1/4" but that depends on the stock offsets. There is a thread on this site somewhere showing someone running 315s up front...not that I'd even try that, but hoping the 275 on this wheel will be o.k. I guess worst case I will need to return two of the 9.5s and get the 9s as they will still take a 275.
The thread on the FRPP LS wheels has all the data you need.
Old 2/11/11, 01:44 PM
Bullitt Member

people do it all the time

I know plenty of people do it...and I run spacers on some cars on the streets. just not a fan for the track...it's a place where I'll spend the extra money to get the right fitment.

there are clubs, such as PCA (porsche club) that have really cracked down on the use of spacers. my local region doesn't allow it.

I've, personally, had an issue at the track with a spacer setup I had on a boxster that I was tracking. once bitten, as it were. the wheel bearing wear issue is a real one on the porsches as well...don't know about the mustangs.
Old 2/11/11, 01:49 PM
Cobra Member

My Dealer just informed me that that there is an Unscheduled - Material Hold for Recaros on my car?????

LQQK
Old 2/11/11, 01:51 PM
Bullitt Member

LQQK, when was your build week?
Old 2/11/11, 01:57 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by phytrpilot
LQQK, when was your build week?
I don't have a build week from them, just the worthless DORA, but he said he was gonna contact the area Rep to find out what's going on.

Quick Reply: WINDOW STICKER IS UP!