Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Will there be a 2013 Boss 302?

Search this Thread

Old 9/23/11, 07:25 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
The 2013 TracKey release will be held up by CORB approval (California Off Road Board)
Old 9/23/11, 08:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phiggs54
Wrong. The 2013 Boss LCD will show the same offroad functions as for the truck. The 2013 TracKey invokes 4WD, activates hydraulics that give 12" of lift, and initiates the hidden transfer case that gives low range 4WD. Plus all of the torque is trsnsferred down to the 500-2500rpm range. At least that is what my salesman's girlfriend told me.
Um, hilarious? I was looking for a legit response but thanks. Anyone else have any guesses as to if they decide to offer the 4.2" screen as a design feature, what will it do/show the driver? I think it's a good idea personally.
Old 9/24/11, 12:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Last edited by 1FAFP90; 9/24/11 at 01:35 PM.
Old 9/24/11, 01:14 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 1FAFP90
Other than GPS? Music album artwork? Rear View Camera?
None of the above.

Probably the same type of info in the message center currently. Trip ODO, fuel mileage, etc.
Old 9/24/11, 01:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by PACETTR
None of the above.

Probably the same type of info in the message center currently. Trip ODO, fuel mileage, etc.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking too. I also think they'd add a compass, outside temp gauge and probably all the check lights. I really hope they decide to add the screen.
Old 9/25/11, 07:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by VALCAD
The 2012s are selling well and getting great reviews so I would say it is a safe bet that they will be around as a 2013 model. The Bullitt was a 2 year, even though it didn't sell well. Maybe because it didn't sell well.

But the question I have is; will the styling of the Boss remain the same or will it get the 2013 refresh the rest of the Mustangs are supposed to get?

The 2013s are supposed to get the longer snout off the GT500s and an updated rear end. That woud be awesome if the Boss got that treatment as well. Plus adding tech package or at least basic SYNC, HIDs, leather option...
The 2012's are not selling as well as Ford had hoped. Just like the Bullitts, they slammed right in the middle of uncertainty in the markets and amidst the fear of a potential recession. These events have not helped the sales of new cars, especially the small niche performance segment. There are plenty of 2012 Boss 302's on the market now that are not moving at all. And wait until the fall/winter and you'll see prices drop substantially. Don't forget the people waiting for the next big thing too (2013 GT500).
The 2013's will be basically a carry-over year with only graphics and new paint offerings. Other than that, there will be no major appearance changes and the Boss will not be "updated". You may see a couple tech options, but that is not why the car is not selling.
There will be bargains aplenty as time goes by. Just wait.........
Old 9/25/11, 07:49 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 4.2" LCD will most likely be an evolution of the message center on the current cars. It'll probably have a running pony on start-up, the same way the truck has the "Built Ford Tough" splash screen on it. I could also see some sort of lateral G readout, similar to how the angle readout is on the F-series (see pic below). They might have some other performance readouts, but who knows. All of the parameters that the Advancetrac is monitoring could be displayed in some fashion on screen.

Old 9/25/11, 08:15 AM
Bullitt Member

The SVT package was available on the 2011 MY

Not to be argumentative, but the 2010 GT500 was totally unfair to anyone who bought the 2009 KR. And the 2011 GT500 was unfair to the 2010 owners and the 2012 SVT package was unfair to the 2011 owners. So...there seems to be a pattern here.

Honestly, the GT500 styling has not changed since 2010 - just like the standard Mustangs. So the 4th year of production is not a bad time to refresh. Especially with the Camaro LT1 coming out and Mustang sales being slow.

It only gets better for Mustang buyers. The longer they wait, the better the cars get. I can't wait til November 17th when the 2013s are expected to be unvieled at the LA Auto Show. Bring it on Ford - improve the breed.
Old 9/25/11, 08:29 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by R3troGT
The SVT package was available on the 2011 MY
He meant to say the garage door opener was unfair to the 2011 bunch, I'll say it was, the dang thing was in the 2011 mustang manual, but not in the cars.
Old 9/25/11, 12:14 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The 2012s are selling well and getting great reviews so I would say it is a safe bet that they will be around as a 2013 model.

The Bullitt was a 2 year, even though it didn't sell well. Maybe because it didn't sell well.
That's not accurate. And the Boss into 2013 has no relation to the Bullitt running partially into 2009.
It was announced day one that they would only build 7000 Bullitts (+700 for Canada) for 2008.
However, shortly after they started delivery (mine was Feb 08), our Saudi 'friends' pushed gas above the low $3's into record territory above $4. Next came the precipitous fall of the economy, jobs, and the stock market.
With only a few thousand Bullitt's built by Spring 08 when the economy started to tank, and after Ford had committed dollar$ to special engineering (and probably royalties to Warner Bros & McQueen Estate), they extended the run partially into 09.
They ended up with 6583ish built.
Considering the unexpected headwinds of the Great Implosion - that killed 2/3 of Detroit, I'd say it sold pretty close to goal. And had the Great Implosion not interfered, I'm sure 7000 would have sold out in 2008 as originally planned.
Contrary to your allegation "it didn't sell well". It never was planned as a multi year, endless production model. That's why its a SE.

Sunday, 20 April 2008

Ford has formally confirmed that S197 Mustang Bullitt production will extend into the 2009 model year, but will not go beyond the 7,700 units previously announced. Dan Jarvis, Ford Motor Company, Car Communications & Launch, confirmed the details with IMBOC late Friday.

"We absolutely will honor our original statement about building 7,700 Bullitts. We will not build BULLITT beyond the 7700 announced." Dan stated in email, "We built about 5,600 for the 2008 model year, and the rest will be 2009s."

Back to Boss...

Last edited by cdynaco; 9/25/11 at 12:24 PM.
Old 9/25/11, 01:46 PM
Bullitt Member

I love a good chart in these discussions. I realize why the Bulitts ran into 2009, but didn't want to bore everybody with details. Of course it was because of gas prices and falling economy. BUT, the same crap is happening now with the economy. Gas hasn't skyrocketted yet, but just wait.

My whole point was, Bullitt was a 2 year run, for whatever reason. So why should we imagine that the obviously hotter Boss would be one year only?

I stand corrected on the 2011 GT500 SVT package. Ford REALLY screwwed the 2010 GT500 buyers then.
Old 9/25/11, 08:12 PM
Post *****

I love a good chart in these discussions. I realize why the Bulitts ran into 2009, but didn't want to bore everybody with details. Of course it was because of gas prices and falling economy. BUT, the same crap is happening now with the economy. Gas hasn't skyrocketted yet, but just wait.

My whole point was, Bullitt was a 2 year run, for whatever reason. So why should we imagine that the obviously hotter Boss would be one year only?
Sorry for boring you. lol Just didn't want false stories to become internet facts.

Different SE's for entirely different buyers.
Old 9/25/11, 09:48 PM
Bullitt Member

cdynaco, you are my favorite modern cowboy. I could never get bored of your posts

The Bullitts were the best of the '05 - '09 Mustangs, as stated by Ford engineers as well as Dan Neil on The Car Show. Under normal circumstances (market conditions), they would all have sold out before even considering running into '09.

The Boss is being called the Best Mustang ever by a few media types. It is getting high praise. And I am sure Ford is going to want to capitalize on that great press by cranking out more than demand ... demands. Just like Shelby does with his cars.

I could see a 2013 Boss, a 2014 Mach and perhaps a Bullitt revival after that. there is just something special about Special Editions. Oh, and keep the California Specials coming too. Great looking cars.
Old 9/26/11, 12:46 AM
Post *****

cdynaco, you are my favorite modern cowboy. I could never get bored of your posts

The Bullitts were the best of the '05 - '09 Mustangs, as stated by Ford engineers as well as Dan Neil on The Car Show. Under normal circumstances (market conditions), they would all have sold out before even considering running into '09.

The Boss is being called the Best Mustang ever by a few media types. It is getting high praise. And I am sure Ford is going to want to capitalize on that great press by cranking out more than demand ... demands. Just like Shelby does with his cars.

I could see a 2013 Boss, a 2014 Mach and perhaps a Bullitt revival after that. there is just something special about Special Editions. Oh, and keep the California Specials coming too. Great looking cars.
That's cool... and don't misunderstand, I have great respect for the current Boss.

And I know just a little bit about bullets and being the boss hoss...

Attached Images  

Last edited by cdynaco; 9/26/11 at 12:53 AM.
Old 9/26/11, 01:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Cdynaco's explaination of what brought on the two year production of the Bullitt is exactly correct. Sadly, the same scenario is unfolding for the Boss. Nobody's fault, just bad economic timing. But good for those who wish to wait for better pricing and availability.
Old 9/26/11, 02:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by goesfast
Cdynaco's explaination of what brought on the two year production of the Bullitt is exactly correct. Sadly, the same scenario is unfolding for the Boss. Nobody's fault, just bad economic timing. But good for those who wish to wait for better pricing and availability.
The one missing economic factor that some people don't account for is the Boss comes "complete". Most prior Mustangs required significant modifications to really make them go fast on track. The Boss is truly a world class track car needing only "minor" mods that I would consider normal track prep for any car. (c/c plates, brake cooling hoses, trans scoop, rotors, pads, and wheels/tires) For well under $50k you can compete with almost anything out there on a road course. This car has to be one of the best values EVER.
Old 9/26/11, 04:13 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

One big difference between the Boss "special edition" and the others is the engine. Not many use the same engine as the factory race cars.

The Boss was planned for a two year run, not one, and will not spill over into 2013 since 2013 is already planned. Ford has been following the original 1969/1970 Boss 302 build schedule and look with a total for both two year runs at approximately 8,000 cars. While this is not written in stone my money is they closely follow that schedule. I find any speculation to the contrary amusing.
Old 9/26/11, 04:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Since I am lazy and don't want to look for the thread, what is the short answer to why the Boss didn't totally dominate the M3 in Continental Sports Car?
Old 9/26/11, 05:59 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Since I am lazy and don't want to look for the thread, what is the short answer to why the Boss didn't totally dominate the M3 in Continental Sports Car?
Probably because Gary (cloud9) was too busy at track sessions and carving tables to go out and race his Boss in the Continental series.
Old 9/26/11, 06:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
The one missing economic factor that some people don't account for is the Boss comes "complete". Most prior Mustangs required significant modifications to really make them go fast on track. The Boss is truly a world class track car needing only "minor" mods that I would consider normal track prep for any car. (c/c plates, brake cooling hoses, trans scoop, rotors, pads, and wheels/tires) For well under $50k you can compete with almost anything out there on a road course. This car has to be one of the best values EVER.
Absolutely true. You can't buy a more complete track car that performs like the Boss for the money. It's a real bargain where value abounds. But unfortunately the uncertainty in people's economic situation trumps larger purchases, especially high performance cars like the Boss.

Quick Reply: Will there be a 2013 Boss 302?