Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

WHEEL & TIRE SELECTION FOR TRACK DAY?

Search this Thread

Old 3/20/13, 05:11 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHEEL & TIRE SELECTION FOR TRACK DAY?

Thinking about doing a track day at Mid Ohio with the the2012 boss.. what do you guys suggest for a wheel & tire selection? Or should I just run the stock combo?

Does anyone have any good used stuff for sale?

BOSS #228
Old 3/20/13, 06:31 AM
GT Member

Dave, Have you been to Mid- Ohio before?
Old 3/20/13, 12:55 PM
Bullitt Member

If you've never been on a track, here is what I'd suggest:
Stock tires
ATE Superblue brake fluid
Track-capable brake pads. Hawk, Carbotech, Pagid, Cobalt are popular brands, and there are other choices
Transmission cooler, aka "kitty litter" scoop
SA2010 rated helmet

Once you're hooked on track driving and become more capable, brake cooling kit, caster/camber plates, dedicated 18" wheels/tires, stainless brake lines are next up. After that, your checkbook is the only limit.

Be safe, and have fun!
Old 3/20/13, 02:43 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With several Autocrosses and one track day I found the stock tires (Pirelli PZero,) to be very good.
Suggest trying them before U consider changing them.
Old 3/20/13, 03:54 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jim woodruff
Dave, Have you been to Mid- Ohio before?
No I have never been there. Why do you ask?
Old 3/20/13, 03:59 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by fking1
With several Autocrosses and one track day I found the stock tires (Pirelli PZero,) to be very good.
Suggest trying them before U consider changing them.
I have two sets my stock wheels & tire which I remove in about 100 miles and I bought a set off a new 302S that I have on the car now because I love the "S" wheel look.
Attached Thumbnails WHEEL & TIRE SELECTION FOR TRACK DAY?-ls-wheels-4.jpg  
Old 3/20/13, 04:22 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SD GT
If you've never been on a track, here is what I'd suggest:
Stock tires
ATE Superblue brake fluid
Track-capable brake pads. Hawk, Carbotech, Pagid, Cobalt are popular brands, and there are other choices
Transmission cooler, aka "kitty litter" scoop
SA2010 rated helmet

Once you're hooked on track driving and become more capable, brake cooling kit, caster/camber plates, dedicated 18" wheels/tires, stainless brake lines are next up. After that, your checkbook is the only limit.

Be safe, and have fun!
I know I am going to love the track experience... When I was at track attack I beat the crap out of their cars & turned some great laps. (Did break their shifter.. which made me upgrade to a Barton shifter on mine) But I have a hard time REALLY beating my own cars so with that being said I believe this track day will be a one off for my car. (covered in tons of tape) Do you still think I should consider cooler, pads, & fluid?
Attached Thumbnails WHEEL & TIRE SELECTION FOR TRACK DAY?-boss-track-attack-145.jpg  
Old 3/20/13, 04:23 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 3/20/13, 08:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mackds
I know I am going to love the track experience... When I was at track attack I beat the crap out of their cars & turned some great laps. (Did break their shifter.. which made me upgrade to a Barton shifter on mine) But I have a hard time REALLY beating my own cars so with that being said I believe this track day will be a one off for my car. (covered in tons of tape) Do you still think I should consider cooler, pads, & fluid?
Painters tape works well. See my avatar.
I've never tracked a car on stock pads or fluid. But I'm pretty sure some people have.
If its a one-time thing, and you hold back from your max capability, you'll probably be ok. Check the pads and bleed the brakes before and after the event--the stock pads may be done after one event.

Lawyer statement--I'm not a pro, so any views, recommendations, etc, must be taken at your own risk.
Old 3/21/13, 06:29 AM
GT Member

If you have not been there before Just make sure you have enough brake pad and pump the tires up. E-mail me off line and let me know when you will be there. Their are a lot of PCA events at Mid- Ohio and you get a lot of track time with this group. I am there about 12-15 week end a year . Would be glad to have you with our Group. You may want to consider the Glen in May w/ ARPCA get group of people.
Old 3/21/13, 05:17 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jim woodruff
If you have not been there before Just make sure you have enough brake pad and pump the tires up. E-mail me off line and let me know when you will be there. Their are a lot of PCA events at Mid- Ohio and you get a lot of track time with this group. I am there about 12-15 week end a year . Would be glad to have you with our Group. You may want to consider the Glen in May w/ ARPCA get group of people.

I am looking at the Cobra Club on June 19th & 20th
Old 3/21/13, 05:22 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SD GT
Painters tape works well. See my avatar.
I've never tracked a car on stock pads or fluid. But I'm pretty sure some people have.
If its a one-time thing, and you hold back from your max capability, you'll probably be ok. Check the pads and bleed the brakes before and after the event--the stock pads may be done after one event.

Lawyer statement--I'm not a pro, so any views, recommendations, etc, must be taken at your own risk.

Sounds like I should do the pads & fluid at minimum.. will the stock rotors hold up and do I do all four corners or just the front pads?
Old 3/21/13, 05:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Sounds like I should do the pads & fluid at minimum.. will the stock rotors hold up and do I do all four corners or just the front pads?
All 4. First time I tracked my Boss the rear Pads were smoking profusely after the first session. I had already swapped the Fronts for Hawk HP+ and upgraded the brake fluid. Rotors held up.

FYI - the Stock front tires have a very soft side wall. Try to keep them around 42lbs to extend life. Mine were toast after 4 auto-x events and a track day.
Old 3/21/13, 05:50 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ConeBoss
All 4. First time I tracked my Boss the rear Pads were smoking profusely after the first session. I had already swapped the Fronts for Hawk HP+ and upgraded the brake fluid. Rotors held up.

FYI - the Stock front tires have a very soft side wall. Try to keep them around 42lbs to extend life. Mine were toast after 4 auto-x events and a track day.
Thanks is that 42lbs all around or less in the rear?

As for the brand of pads keeping in mind I will spend most of my time on the street on sunny days only what is suggested.
Old 3/21/13, 06:02 PM
Bullitt Member

42lbs in front. For the rear 36-39 is a good ball park range. Remember the pressures will come up as you start lapping so its ok to start off 3-4lbs low.

If you want a pad that has nice daily driver manners don't get the Hawk HP+. My advice is to go to TireRack.com. They have fair prices, good product descriptions, fast delivery and excellent phone support. If you have a question on whether your getting the right pad you can call and talk to someone(quickly) who probably can tell you if you are making the right choice...and then order them over the phone if you want.
Old 3/21/13, 06:06 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ConeBoss
42lbs in front. For the rear 36-39 is a good ball park range. Remember the pressures will come up as you start lapping so its ok to start off 3-4lbs low.

If you want a pad that has nice daily driver manners don't get the Hawk HP+. My advice is to go to TireRack.com. They have fair prices, good product descriptions, fast delivery and excellent phone support. If you have a question on whether your getting the right pad you can call and talk to someone(quickly) who probably can tell you if you are making the right choice...and then order them over the phone if you want.

One more thing what should I do with the shock settings?

Thanks for the advise BOSS 228
Old 3/21/13, 06:10 PM
Bullitt Member

One more thing what should I do with the shock settings?

Thanks for the advise BOSS 228
5 on front 4 in rear is what I used.
Old 3/21/13, 07:03 PM
GT Member

Thanks