Old 6/26/12, 11:53 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RJorge1950
Yes it is

And here is the cure for it:

http://store.jpcracing.com/TREMEC-MA...ON_p_1971.html

Rob

P.S. Would you pay an extra 3K for your Boss for the Tremec ?
To be fair, that doesn't take into account the cost added in already for the existing transmission. What's the price difference between the two? $1-2k? I would've paid it.
Old 6/27/12, 02:46 AM
V6 Member

Along with the non-Getrag transmission that is shared with other models of Mustangs besides the Shelby's,.... a different clutch and different drive shaft would be required,....also the Bosses would of been yanked from the regular production line also requiring more special labor,....so the cost would be much higher than 1 to 2k,...putting it closer to the 012 GT500,....remember, Ford wanted the Bosses to fit nicely between a GT Premium and the GT500,....if it got to close to the MSRP of a GT500 sales would of suffered for many opting for the Shelby,.....so we got the Chinese Getrag, for a price point decission.
Old 6/27/12, 06:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 gt500s are built on the regular production line.
Old 6/27/12, 10:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by cf6mech
For what its worth,...My 2007 GT500 shifted oh so much better in every way with the Tremec than my Boss does with the Getrag MT82,....bad rep or not I'm going on personal experiance,....went with the MGW shifter on the Boss,...and it still doesn't compare,....yah its better now,...but it still isn't what it should be. The MT82 one Hell of a transmission, compared to what?
The T-5 and the T-3650. Not that they are bad transmissions but the MT-82 does shift like butter in all my experiences with it compared to the notchy as hell T-5 and the pretty darn good 3650.

Don't get me wrong, the TR-6060 is a great transmission, its shifts are nice and smooth and you have confidence in where the shifts are going to be but take it drag racing and plenty of people have been locked out of gears. One of the solution in addition to the MGW or a better shifter has been putting in the CHE Torque limiters. Ford also has put out a couple TSBs on this issue as well. The TR-6060 IMO isn't the end all be all holy grail of transmissions though while it is easily one of the best six speeds that is out there it does have its flaws.
Old 6/27/12, 12:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

The Tremec is made in Mexico and has the wrong gear ratios. Not sure how that is any better than the MT-82, which for me is pretty much flawless after 16,000 miles and 4 Open Track days.
Old 6/27/12, 01:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
hey Andy- cruzin' around last w/e, i came across a similar parking formation resembling your avatar...
Attached Thumbnails what?  is this true ...-sterlingford5.jpg  
Old 6/28/12, 10:21 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Fat Boss
The Tremec is made in Mexico and has the wrong gear ratios. Not sure how that is any better than the MT-82, which for me is pretty much flawless after 16,000 miles and 4 Open Track days.
This, putting a TR6060 in would require some serious final drive gear to get it anywhere close to the MT82's 1st and 2nd gear which would take alot of oomphh out of the coyote and road-runner engines.

There are other considerations since the TR6060 is a heavier tranmission as well which would add weight to the V6, GT, and Boss. Also there is the matter of power absorbtion with the TR6060's heavier duty internals requiring more power to turn.

The GT500 certainly needs the TR6060 since your talking a 3800 (now) pound car with a crap load of torque from just about an idle on.

Still though, it wouldn't be a bad thing if th Boss had its own version of the TR6060 - it would be one last thing a Boss guy slapping on a supercharger or a big shot of nitrous would have to worry about, doubly so since the Boss is a much lighter car comared to the GT500.
Old 6/29/12, 07:17 PM
GT Member

Looks like these MT-82's work good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...H55UtXfV0&NR=1

Last edited by BLAZN BOSS; 6/29/12 at 07:18 PM.
Old 6/29/12, 07:34 PM
GT Member

LOL, my '05 GT has a Tremec...
Old 7/1/12, 06:19 PM
V6 Member

The point with Getrag MT82 is you either have a good one or you don't,...it shouldn't be that way and these cars are still new,... so long term is anyones guess, the Road Runner engine stock is probably at the max of this trannies capabilities for long term reliability...Being made in China the hit or miss quality should be expected (as was Korean products Hyundai/Kia in the early years, as they were crap till they found out how to make a quality car),...miss the heat treat or get it off a few degrees here or there and its going to hangrenade right off the bat (like some Boss trannies have)....don't expect the quality control , tolerance checks etc. to be any where near an American made product and yes made in Mexico as these are estabished heavy Industry countries and China isn't there yet, and or don't really care or know what we expect yet...yes they fill the shelves in Walmart,...but thats hardly the stuff transmissions are made of.....remember just a few years ago China was sending us lead based paint in our childrens toys and dog food that killed dogs.....so all of you out there defending the Chinese Getrag couldn't possible imagine the quality might be off some....come on !.....Mine seems to be a good one for now,...but if they are that bullet proof , why do they get yanked with the added cost of different matching components in the Boss 302S and 302R...hmmmm !,....why doesn't Shelby use them?....they stayed in to keep the cost down plain and simple.

Last edited by cf6mech; 7/1/12 at 06:40 PM.
Old 7/1/12, 06:46 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
seems like they were expecting people that buy the 302r and the 302s to do more track and drag driving.. duh? The shelby has far more hp and needs a big bad tranny. 412hp is entry level hp in the the sports car world. I think some people need to wake up and see that they are not going to spend money over building a trans so people can up the hp in these cars. lesson being.. if you plan on increasing the hp dont cheap out and increase the ability and strength of the mt82 also. duh..
Old 7/2/12, 04:13 AM
V6 Member

302r/302s for drag racing ?..... New one for me. The highly modify-able Mustang can far excede Shelby numbers in the HP and torque catagories....just wish Ford would of gave us a better platform to start out with as Chevy has to build upon,....Tremec has seen the deficiency and is offering a T56 pretty early on in the Road Runners life...must be something to it.
Old 7/2/12, 10:35 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Five.Point.Oh
LOL, my '05 GT has a baby Tremec...
Fixed
Old 7/3/12, 07:54 AM
Banned

302r/302s for drag racing ?..... New one for me. The highly modify-able Mustang can far excede Shelby numbers in the HP and torque catagories....just wish Ford would of gave us a better platform to start out with as Chevy has to build upon,....Tremec has seen the deficiency and is offering a T56 pretty early on in the Road Runners life...must be something to it.
Do you even own a Boss? Do you have any idea what you are talking about?

Ford gave us an AMAZING platform with the Boss 302. What other car can you bolt on a supercharger or turbo and put down over 1000whp with no engine mods...?

The ZL1 which is Chevy's top of the line Camaro that runs about $10k more than a Boss 302 can only put down around 600whp before they need to open the engine and replace some major components. No thanks...

There is always going to be a weak link with any car, but these transmissions are fine unless you happen to come across a defective one which they will end up replacing under warranty.

So stop your *****in and just drive the car...you do have a Boss don't you?
Old 7/5/12, 05:11 PM
Bullitt Member

The point with Getrag MT82 is you either have a good one or you don't,...it shouldn't be that way and these cars are still new,... so long term is anyones guess, the Road Runner engine stock is probably at the max of this trannies capabilities for long term reliability...Being made in China the hit or miss quality should be expected (as was Korean products Hyundai/Kia in the early years, as they were crap till they found out how to make a quality car),...miss the heat treat or get it off a few degrees here or there and its going to hangrenade right off the bat (like some Boss trannies have)....don't expect the quality control , tolerance checks etc. to be any where near an American made product and yes made in Mexico as these are estabished heavy Industry countries and China isn't there yet, and or don't really care or know what we expect yet...yes they fill the shelves in Walmart,...but thats hardly the stuff transmissions are made of.....remember just a few years ago China was sending us lead based paint in our childrens toys and dog food that killed dogs.....so all of you out there defending the Chinese Getrag couldn't possible imagine the quality might be off some....come on !.....Mine seems to be a good one for now,...but if they are that bullet proof , why do they get yanked with the added cost of different matching components in the Boss 302S and 302R...hmmmm !,....why doesn't Shelby use them?....they stayed in to keep the cost down plain and simple.
^this^ agree 100%
Old 7/5/12, 06:01 PM
Bullitt Member

personally, I love the MT-82 in my car, and have had zero issues. Plus, I love the reassurance that my v6 has a tranny built to handle the BOSS and its 140 more horses.
Old 7/8/12, 11:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2012BLKV6
personally, I love the MT-82 in my car, and have had zero issues. Plus, I love the reassurance that my v6 has a tranny built to handle the BOSS and its 140 more horses.
I agree 100% as well. If i had a v6, I'd be very comfortable with the mt82. It's a v6 transmission built to handle 300 HP not over 400+.
Old 7/9/12, 07:35 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How did you come to this conclusion? You act as if you are a engineer. Its not having issues handling load.. Its that it's not as easy to use as the tremec.
Old 7/9/12, 08:07 AM
Bullitt Member

That is the problem with forums, people giving their opinions but stating them as facts. Not everyone has experienced these issues with the tranny, so is it poor design or poor workmanship at the time of build. Of course there is the possibility that in some cases these problems can occur due to driver mistakes.
Old 7/9/12, 08:30 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by orng302
That is the problem with forums, people giving their opinions but stating them as facts. Not everyone has experienced these issues with the tranny, so is it poor design or poor workmanship at the time of build. Of course there is the possibility that in some cases these problems can occur due to driver mistakes.
Thank You, I could have not said it better.

Quick Reply: what? is this true ...