2012-2013 BOSS 302

What do you think it will take to hit 500whp NA with a Boss

Search this Thread

Old 4/10/11, 06:03 AM
RTD
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Swoope
as it seems you know a fair amount about this.. the tb that is used in this project?

beers
For the car in question, it did not say anything about having replaced the throttle body.

I know the Livernois car is using a prototype version of the FRPP throttle body that hasn't been released yet. But that's a fully built 12.5:1 motor.
Old 4/10/11, 06:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do somehow doubt this will be an easy tune. However, I would like to see what a CAI, side exhaust discs removed, redline raised, headers (Boss has stock 2011GT headers as far as I can tell), and a 100 octane race gas tune can yield (with Track Key of course :-) ) . I wonder what gains could be had with these simple mods...

This depends on where you race, of course, but a little extra grunt on tracks with long straightaways and sweepers to fend off the Shelby and the Vette guys clearly would not hurt. Nothing to change the characteristics of the vehicle. I think an 25-35 hp gain up top, and a little extra torque down low, would be quite nice and worthwhile.

Last edited by LateApex; 4/10/11 at 06:57 AM.
Old 4/10/11, 08:18 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LateApex
I do somehow doubt this will be an easy tune. However, I would like to see what a CAI, side exhaust discs removed, redline raised, headers (Boss has stock 2011GT headers as far as I can tell), and a 100 octane race gas tune can yield (with Track Key of course :-) ) . I wonder what gains could be had with these simple mods...

This depends on where you race, of course, but a little extra grunt on tracks with long straightaways and sweepers to fend off the Shelby and the Vette guys clearly would not hurt. Nothing to change the characteristics of the vehicle. I think an 25-35 hp gain up top, and a little extra torque down low, would be quite nice and worthwhile.
the heads aren't stock on the boss:

To take advantage of the racing intake manifold, cylinder head airflow was fully optimized by CNC porting the entire intake and exhaust port and combustion chamber. The painstaking machining process takes 2.5 hours per head to complete.

To accompany the higher peak-power engine speed, the team had to engineer a lightweight, high-speed valvetrain and bulletproof reciprocating assembly that would not only hold together for 150,000-plus miles but also produce power at peak rpm.

“What most people don’t realize is that engine stresses increase exponentially as engine speeds rise,” explains Harrison. “So moving up from GT’s 7,000 rpm redline required significant re-engineering of many different parts. Sacrificing reliability and usability over the GT engine was never an option.”

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=33066

Last edited by ShaneM; 4/10/11 at 08:21 AM.
Old 4/10/11, 03:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by crescent_wrench
Just drop a 5.4 in it with a blower.
Please step away from the car
Old 4/10/11, 04:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM

the heads aren't stock on the boss:

To take advantage of the racing intake manifold, cylinder head airflow was fully optimized by CNC porting the entire intake and exhaust port and combustion chamber. The painstaking machining process takes 2.5 hours per head to complete.

To accompany the higher peak-power engine speed, the team had to engineer a lightweight, high-speed valvetrain and bulletproof reciprocating assembly that would not only hold together for 150,000-plus miles but also produce power at peak rpm.

"What most people don't realize is that engine stresses increase exponentially as engine speeds rise," explains Harrison. "So moving up from GT's 7,000 rpm redline required significant re-engineering of many different parts. Sacrificing reliability and usability over the GT engine was never an option."

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=33066
Headers, not heads - as in exhaust :-)

Last edited by LateApex; 4/10/11 at 04:37 PM.
Old 4/10/11, 04:42 PM
Cobra Member

Headers, not heads - as in exhaust :-)
lol, that R makes all the difference.
Old 4/10/11, 04:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Old 4/10/11, 05:15 PM
V6 Member

I have a 2011 Roush 5.0. What is the Lund tune and the cammed sound I keep hearing about. Is this a custom tune? Can I down load it?
Old 4/10/11, 06:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I do somehow doubt this will be an easy tune. However, I would like to see what a CAI,
I assume the primary reason to go to a CAI is to flow more air, but it also must be to bring in "cold air" given the nomenclature?

At the track with my buddy in his modded 5.0 he commented "I'm running IAT about 10 degrees above ambient" and was pretty happy about that. It was 88 degrees ambient and I was running 91 IAT. So clearly the Boss is bringing fresh air in effectively. The heat from the track alone should have been worth a few degrees so to only be 3 degrees above ambient at that temperature was pretty impressive to me. My GT500 with the FRPP CAI runs IATs 10 degrees above amibent. Is there much gain to changing the CAI on the Boss even with a tune? I'd appreciate a response explaining this.
Old 4/10/11, 07:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cloud9

I assume the primary reason to go to a CAI is to flow more air, but it also must be to bring in "cold air" given the nomenclature?

At the track with my buddy in his modded 5.0 he commented "I'm running IAT about 10 degrees above ambient" and was pretty happy about that. It was 88 degrees ambient and I was running 91 IAT. So clearly the Boss is bringing fresh air in effectively. The heat from the track alone should have been worth a few degrees so to only be 3 degrees above ambient at that temperature was pretty impressive to me. My GT500 with the FRPP CAI runs IATs 10 degrees above amibent. Is there much gain to changing the CAI on the Boss even with a tune? I'd appreciate a response explaining this.
Could be, it needs testing. It depends greatly on where the air to the stock airbox is coming from. If the Boss is using the same basic airbox as the 10+ GTs do, then we have plenty of evidence that a CAI can help. It has to do with a small amount of heat soak the enclosed airbox can suffer from with extended use, but it's equally if not more about getting into a high airflow filter. Of course this is commonly packaged with a generic, mildly aggressive tune, and gains of 20-30 hp on current gen GTs are common. How much of that is the tune, a tuner would have to answer. As such, since we have no tuned Bosses yet, gains are hypothetical for now. Who knows what can be had?
Old 4/10/11, 07:55 PM
Cobra Member

Could be, it needs testing. It depends greatly on where the air to the stock airbox is coming from. If the Boss is using the same basic airbox as the 10+ GTs do, then we have plenty of evidence that a CAI can help. It has to do with a small amount of heat soak the enclosed airbox can suffer from with extended use, but it's equally if not more about getting into a high airflow filter. Of course this is commonly packaged with a generic, mildly aggressive tune, and gains of 20-30 hp on current gen GTs are common. How much of that is the tune, a tuner would have to answer. As such, since we have no tuned Bosses yet, gains are hypothetical for now. Who knows what can be had?
several of the CAIs on the market use the factory intake bit on teh 10-12 cars that is behind the grill on the drivers side that sucks cool air in from the front of the car. the cold air intake on the 10 cars is so effective tha roush didnt even offer a CAI for their blown cars because they said it made no difference in the power.
Old 4/10/11, 10:34 PM
GT Member

Why is this thread still going?

Let's wait until someone actually posts 500RWHP with a Boss(looks at STIGuy)
Old 4/11/11, 05:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bloody_Knuckles
Why is this thread still going?

Let's wait until someone actually posts 500RWHP with a Boss(looks at STIGuy)
Well if someone WOULD do it...

Heh.
Old 4/11/11, 06:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Meh, horsepower is just a mask for poor driving. 444 is more than enough to pass 99% of cars you're on track with even if they're well driven.

I don't see the net benefit when you start swapping parts of unknown mechanical reliability for OEM ones that were designed and tested on the track.
Old 4/11/11, 07:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MrBonus
I don't see the net benefit when you start swapping parts of unknown mechanical reliability for OEM ones that were designed and tested on the track.
Kind of answered your own question right there. Extreme performance and extreme durability/reliability are often at odds. Some are willing to take a varying degree of "chances". Car forums and aftermarket vendors and tuners would not exist if there was no appetite for this
Old 4/11/11, 08:47 AM
Bullitt Member

CAMS, EXHAUST AND TUNE.
Old 4/11/11, 08:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MustangFanatic
Agreed - won't make 500 RWHP in naturally aspirated trim. If you want mega dyno numbers, buy a Shelby
you are wrong. the 5.0 already has.
Old 4/11/11, 08:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
hmmm, how much of a difference do you think there are between these jpc heads this dude is running and the ported boss heads? he is a bit over 500whp NA.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...p-h-c-i-n.html
no difference at all. the JPc's are pocket ported. very mild not wild. you have larger exhaust valves in the BOSS.

cams, cai, longtubes and tune. nothing more. your boss will make 500rwhp easily. probably more because it can rev to 8200.

Originally Posted by RTD
The JPC Stage 1 heads (they have Stage 2 and 3 coming out) are very similar to the Boss heads. They flow about 30 cfm intake and 20 cfm exhaust more than the stock heads on the GT.

The cams I have no idea, but I doubt they're much more radical than the Boss cams.

I do think that reading is a little on the high side though.

I bet the stock air induction and exhaust is choking the **** out of the Boss, particularly at high RPM. A full set of bolt-ons on a 2011 GT (CAI, tune, headers, x-pipe, catback) will net around 50-55 rwhp gain. I wouldn't be surprised if it nets more, maybe 65-70hp on the Boss. Assuming the average Boss will dyno 25hp more than the average GT, that would put a bolt-on Boss around 470hp or so.
the JPC reading IS LOW. its a loaded dyno just like a mustang. the 507 rwhp is going to be higher on a dyno jet. expect cammed GT's to get 460rwhp. you guys get over 500rwhp.

Last edited by assasinator; 4/11/11 at 08:56 AM.
Old 4/11/11, 11:12 AM
Bullitt Member

I feel that there is never anything wrong with a little more hosepower. In my experience messing with late model vehicles, i.e. Ford, GM, Mopars, all of these engines are seriously detuned for street duty. The HiPo 302 will definately no be the exception on the contrary will further enhance my point. These engines usually need help breathing and they start to come alive. This HiPo 302 just tickles my imagination of all the power there is to be had with just the right massaging. To stereotype the Boss as strictly a road racer type car is an insult to the BOSS and the Ford engineers. This car is a helluva dual threat. The people who have begun to exploit it at the tracks and drags have definately proven that already. With adjustable suspension, launch control, lightweight, this car was obviously designed to do some drag racing as well. As for hitting 500rwhp. I definately feel that a true cold air intake, longtube headers, tune shoud get you very close. Some mildly bigger camshafts will easily hit the mark and will not affect driveability in the least bit. As a matter of fact I can bet money that it will gain that much needed low end torque and get us enough to smile about on the top end. How many classic Boss 302's were left untouched??? These cars were made to race and racers never leave things untouched!!!!
Old 4/11/11, 11:50 AM
Cobra Member

i admit i am surprised at the reactions of some boss owners and others that have ordered and not received their ride yet. Some folks seem to think any talk of modding the car is sacrilege. i certainly think with a few tweaks the boss Can hit 500whp. i'm with some of the other commenters and i will be surprised if you cant get very close to 500whp or over with simple bolt ons and a tune that you can return to stock when needed.

i also think ford knows this car will see track time at the qtr too and mine will probably see more time there than a road course. the closet road course from me is about 6 hours, but the drag strip is only 1.5 hrs away. it will spend more time on the drag than a road course.

Quick Reply: What do you think it will take to hit 500whp NA with a Boss