Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

TracKey Warranty Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10/25/11, 09:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TracKey Warranty Questions

Here's what Ford says about the impact of TracKey on the Manufacturer's Warranty:

HOW WILL THIS AFFECT VEHICLE WARRANTY?
TracKey is warranted for factory-supplied material or workmanship, when installed on a Boss 302 or Laguna Seca by an authorized Ford or Lincoln Dealer, beginning upon dealer installation and registration of the part(s) with Ford Racing for the balance of 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the start date of the manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

This Limited Warranty replaces the existing manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty for engine, driveline and suspension parts, when the warranted Ford Racing Part is identified as the causal part of a warrantable concern

So, what I would appreciate knowing (from the many knowledgable Forum members who work for Ford, a Ford Dealer, or from Ford Customer Service (Deysha( is if I am interpreting the above correctly as follows:

I took delivery of my Boss 302 on 9/10/2011, so my 3yr/36,000 "bumper to bumper" coverage ends on 9/10/2014; and the New Vehicle Limited Warranty for engine, driveline, and suspension currently goes out to 9/10/2016. If I install TracKey say on November 1, then my bumper to bumper coverage will still end 9/10/2014, and my engine, driveline, and suspension warranty...now replaced by the FRPP Limited Warranty....will also end on that date, 9/10/2014, "when the Ford Racing Part (TracKey) is identified as the causal part of a warrantable concern."

Several questions:

1. If the "warrantable concern" was caused by TracKey and I'm within the 36 month period, then it is covered, right?

2. If the "warrantable concern" was not caused by TracKey, where does that leave me within the first 36 months as far as engine, driveline, and suspension?

3. If the "warrantable concern" was casued by TracKey and I'm beyond the 36 months, I'm out of luck?

4. If the warrantable concern was not caused by TracKey and I'm beyond the 36 months, where does that leave me?
Is the 5 year/60k miles coverage still in effect if the failure is not related to TracKey?

5. What criteria is used by Ford or a dealer's Service Dept to determine if TracKey is the cause of a "warrantable concern"

The bottom line is what happens when the failure was not caused by TracKey before 3 yrs/36k miles; and after 3yrs/36kmiles, but before 5yrs/60k miles?

Everything seems to hinge on TracKey being the cause, but if it is not, is there still warranty coverage up to the original limits for engine, driveline, and suspension?

There's been a lot of discussion about TracKey, but I don't believe anyone has focused on these specific questions.

Thanks to all in advance.
Old 10/26/11, 12:26 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by chief_charlie

Here's what Ford says about the impact of TracKey on the Manufacturer's Warranty:

HOW WILL THIS AFFECT VEHICLE WARRANTY?
TracKey is warranted for factory-supplied material or workmanship, when installed on a Boss 302 or Laguna Seca by an authorized Ford or Lincoln Dealer, beginning upon dealer installation and registration of the part(s) with Ford Racing for the balance of 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the start date of the manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

This Limited Warranty replaces the existing manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty for engine, driveline and suspension parts, when the warranted Ford Racing Part is identified as the causal part of a warrantable concern

So, what I would appreciate knowing (from the many knowledgable Forum members who work for Ford, a Ford Dealer, or from Ford Customer Service (Deysha( is if I am interpreting the above correctly as follows:

I took delivery of my Boss 302 on 9/10/2011, so my 3yr/36,000 "bumper to bumper" coverage ends on 9/10/2014; and the New Vehicle Limited Warranty for engine, driveline, and suspension currently goes out to 9/10/2016. If I install TracKey say on November 1, then my bumper to bumper coverage will still end 9/10/2014, and my engine, driveline, and suspension warranty...now replaced by the FRPP Limited Warranty....will also end on that date, 9/10/2014, "when the Ford Racing Part (TracKey) is identified as the causal part of a warrantable concern."

Several questions:

1. If the "warrantable concern" was caused by TracKey and I'm within the 36 month period, then it is covered, right?

Yes, that is my understanding.

2. If the "warrantable concern" was not caused by TracKey, where does that leave me within the first 36 months as far as engine, driveline, and suspension?

Factory warranty applies, so you are covered in this scenario.

3. If the "warrantable concern" was casued by TracKey and I'm beyond the 36 months, I'm out of luck?

Yes.

4. If the warrantable concern was not caused by TracKey and I'm beyond the 36 months, where does that leave me?
Is the 5 year/60k miles coverage still in effect if the failure is not related to TracKey?

Yes, that is my understanding.

5. What criteria is used by Ford or a dealer's Service Dept to determine if TracKey is the cause of a "warrantable concern"

Reasonable an due diligence, I would hope.

Old 10/26/11, 02:54 PM
Bullitt Member

If Only FORD had Said this from the Beginning...

Now that Ford has sent additional information about the impact of installing TracKey, the questions raised in this thread have been answered.

Installation of these select Ford Racing parts by an authorized dealer does not nullify the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. All engine, driveline and suspension warranty issues not related to installation of Ford Racing parts remain subject to existing manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Thanks Cloud9 for posting the info in another thread.
Old 10/26/11, 08:12 PM
FR500 Member

What if the use of the Track Key is considered abuse, thus cancelling the rest of the warranty?

I.E. "TracKey didn't cause the part failure, but using something that is "Track use only" means taking the car on the track, so you're SOL."

By the way, I was informed by my dealer that merely removing the rear backing plates to improve disk cooling would negate the warranty on the rear calipers, disks, axle seals, etc.

Last edited by PTRocks; 10/26/11 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10/26/11, 09:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

That rear brake stuff is mouse nuts compared to driveline.
Old 10/26/11, 09:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks
"

By the way, I was informed by my dealer that merely removing the rear backing plates to improve disk cooling would negate the warranty on the rear calipers, disks, axle seals, etc.
With nearly 3,000 posts on the Forum, you've obviously been around awhile....so, do you believe your dealer about the rear backing plates? If you follow that logic, then your front calipers and rotors are now out of warranty because you've installed the front brake ducts from FRPP !
Old 10/26/11, 10:28 PM
Bullitt Member

What if the use of the Track Key is considered abuse, thus cancelling the rest of the warranty?

I.E. "TracKey didn't cause the part failure, but using something that is "Track use only" means taking the car on the track, so you're SOL."

That's ridiculous..... Find a new dealer. In fact complain to Ford about them. I wouldn't give them any more business ever again...
Old 10/26/11, 10:43 PM
FR500 Member

With nearly 3,000 posts on the Forum, you've obviously been around awhile....so, do you believe your dealer about the rear backing plates? If you follow that logic, then your front calipers and rotors are now out of warranty because you've installed the front brake ducts from FRPP !
I've held off installing anything and I'm not doing anything yet. I can't afford to have the warranty pulled out from under me, and I was waiting to see how Ford was going to back up their claims with respect to TracKey. To me it doesn't pass the sniff test. I'm waiting to see how this all shakes out for other folks. The car goes into storage at the end of the week anyway.

And yes, I need to find an SVT dealer or ??.. I was referred to one about 60 miles away.

Last edited by PTRocks; 10/26/11 at 10:51 PM.
Old 10/26/11, 10:45 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by adam81
That's ridiculous..... Find a new dealer. In fact complain to Ford about them. I wouldn't give them any more business ever again...
The story was as follows: The dealer doesn't really care, but there are Ford reps who like to cruise through every now and then checking cars for mods, and nailing the owners accordingly...

(where is a good 'grain of salt' smiley?)
Old 10/26/11, 11:02 PM
Bullitt Member

The story was as follows: The dealer doesn't really care, but there are Ford reps who like to cruise through every now and then checking cars for mods, and nailing the owners accordingly...

(where is a good 'grain of salt' smiley?)
All that is is a story... I have never heard of that before. This is not a witch hunt!
Old 10/26/11, 11:06 PM
FR500 Member

All that is is a story... I have never heard of that before. This is not a witch hunt!
Time to get Deysha on the case...
Old 10/26/11, 11:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed.
Old 10/27/11, 11:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have had my GT in to 3 different dealers for routine service work. None of them have mentioned any of my mods. My FRPP bullit CAI, the 3.73s, or the drive shaft. I am assuming they don't care all that much.
Old 10/28/11, 12:28 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Cusp
I have had my GT in to 3 different dealers for routine service work. None of them have mentioned any of my mods. My FRPP bullit CAI, the 3.73s, or the drive shaft. I am assuming they don't care all that much.
No they don't care for routine service work, but now try a warranty repair and they say your mod caused the failure
Old 10/28/11, 12:40 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a dealer I take all my cars to and the service manager is great, never had a issue.
I setup trackey install next week and mentioned the warranty issue and he told me basically Fords just covering their butts because you know there's guys out there that just outright abuse the cars, just look on youtube, some of the things people do is definitely just ABUSE .
Old 10/28/11, 09:55 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Hey guys,

I know some of you have seen this on another thread, but I am looking into some Q & As to help with your warranty questions. Please stay tuned for more info.

Deysha
Old 10/28/11, 11:48 AM
GT Member

I think this is all a about being fair on both sides issue. I trust the Ford, dealer and the service folks, as they are car folks also. They are there to provide us with cars and service that is sell-able and to keep us coming back. They have to stay open and pay their folks also!

If I mess something up that I know is my fault, so be it! and I will cover it. If it is somehow something that should not happen and if not my fault, then they better cover it, and I find that they always have done that for me. I must say that I have had only a few cases of that for the life of about dozen cars and a 1,000,000 + miles.

And the folks working on the cars are great and always fun to talk to as they love the cars also!

I am not worried about the TrackKey "Warranty" am getting it installed as soon as it gets here and I am going to be smiling as that is why I bought the car in the first place!

Last edited by jjurgens; 10/28/11 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11/22/11, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hey guys,

I know some of you have seen this on another thread, but I am looking into some Q & As to help with your warranty questions. Please stay tuned for more info.

Deysha

Deysha,

The jury has been out for a long time; what is the verdict on the TracKey warranty?

Please explain the warranty on a 2012 Boss without TracKey and the same 2012 Boss with TracKey?

Who is responsible for warranty repairs for failures without TracKey installed?

Who is responsible for warranty repairs for failures with TracKey installed?

Thanks,
Warren
Old 11/22/11, 01:26 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think we can all agree that if you break something with the TK ford will come to your home and kill you with a wrench.
Old 11/22/11, 03:46 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Flagstang
I think we can all agree that if you break something with the TK ford will come to your home and kill you with a wrench.

Quick Reply: TracKey Warranty Questions