Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Track Temps - Cool Tech LLC Update

Search this Thread

Old 8/16/11, 03:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PACETTR
Will the oil cooler placement adversely affect the cooling ability of the radiator?
The simple answer is yes. You will be reducing the air flow to the radiator. However, you also have to take the following into account:

• What amount of heat are you removing from the water cooling system by removing the water/oil cooler?
  • What amount of restriction are you removing from the water cooling system by removing the restrictive lower radiator hose (bypass for cooler)?
  • What amount of heat is the oil cooler dissipating which will flow to the radiator in the air stream?

All of these would be trial and error... but in my experience on other race cars, it should result in reduced oil and water temps given that the oil cooler is appropriately sized and the air flow path is not overly reduced.
Old 8/16/11, 04:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Will the oil cooler placement adversely affect the cooling ability of the radiator?
Thanks JScheier... I think we are in agreement.

First off, you can't see the radiator in any of the pics as the AC Condensor covers the ENTIRE radiator. In the area behind our oil cooler instead of having, let's say 90 degree ambient air, you are going to have maybe 130-150? degree ambient air "cooling" that section of the radiator. (The 130-150F is a guess as the cooler itself will probably be 220-240F but it won't shed that kind of heat depending on air flow, etc.) Anyway - it's complicated... and that's why we are testing!! We now have two key gauges - both detailed water temp and detailed oil temp. We will be able to compare OEM to our modified LS. Looks like track temps are going to "cooperate" for our high-heat testing sessions where 90-95F daytime temps are anticipated.... on a course with a straightway where we will see speeds of 130-140MPH?

Last edited by nota4re; 8/16/11 at 04:02 PM.
Old 8/16/11, 06:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Not to worry .I will have in car video.
Old 8/16/11, 07:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Rocketman... I really appreciate your help driving the LS. If you are OK, I'd like you to make a few hot laps in this one and then in Apollo's. We're installing an oil temp gauge in Terry's too so we'll be able to get some good data points about the effectivity of the cooler.
Old 8/16/11, 09:04 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by nota4re
Rocketman... I really appreciate your help driving the LS. If you are OK, I'd like you to make a few hot laps in this one and then in Apollo's. We're installing an oil temp gauge in Terry's too so we'll be able to get some good data points about the effectivity of the cooler.
I call shotgun!
Old 8/17/11, 04:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Patiently waiting for the results of the testing............
Old 8/17/11, 10:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Patiently waiting for the results of the testing............
Patient!!! I'm anxious as all giddy-up! LOL.

I'll tell it like it is real time next Wednesday and Thursday!
Old 8/17/11, 10:24 AM
FR500 Member

What is the likelihood that installing a larger rad would be sufficient? There are a lot of parts involved in the external oil cooler kit. That's more weight, more cost, more to go wrong, etc. etc. I am sure that you've considered this already, I just want to get your thoughts on the subject.
Old 8/17/11, 10:39 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Patient!!! I'm anxious as all giddy-up! LOL.

I'll tell it like it is real time next Wednesday and Thursday!
Well Thursday's a big day then I'll be testing the rad Thursday as well. Unfortunately doesn't look like the weather's cooperating. Sunny and 81. Oh well, I'll be pushing it hard so will still have a good idea of temp differences from previous days with this ambient.
Old 8/17/11, 10:39 AM
Bullitt Member

What is the likelihood that installing a larger rad would be sufficient? There are a lot of parts involved in the external oil cooler kit. That's more weight, more cost, more to go wrong, etc. etc. I am sure that you've considered this already, I just want to get your thoughts on the subject.
Agreed! If the larger radiator alone is sufficient - this is the way to go. As I have said before, I want to be totally transparent with the results - an owner first and a vendor second. Looks like we will have some good testing of each approach next week and we will have a lot more informative info soon. But, your point is the right one. Keep it simple (and less costly!), if possible!!

What is interesting, however, and a data point I'm looking forward to is oil temperatures. As OEM, owners have only the ability to see coolant temps - and this only really in the LS models with the dash gauge. We have already established that the coolant temps are outside many people's comfort zone for engine longevity/sustainability at 240F +. I too have strong expectations as to what the larger radiator will do to address this. But, oil temperatures - somewhat independent of water temps are also critical. It is conceivable that you can solve one without "solving" the other. We have equipped our oil-cooler equipped car with a oil temp gauge and today we are putting the same gauge in an OEM LS. Both cars will be on the same track, the same day, with hopefully the same expert driver (Rocketman), so we will have the opportunity to see OEM oil tmps for the first time - and also how those temps are effected with the inclusion of the air to oil cooler. Track temps are predicted to be 90F+ next week.... not ideal for the best time at a track day but more or less ideal for the testing that we want to do. Now, we just have to get that gauge installed and get all the cars loaded into the carrier for their trek up to Utah!

Last edited by nota4re; 8/17/11 at 10:41 AM.
Old 8/17/11, 10:41 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks
Like I posted previously, it will vary for people at elevation. Those at higher elevation will need more cooling than those closer to sea level. The MMP cars all have the 302S radiator and grille, plus A/C delete. They are at elevation though. We'll get a good idea from those cars on whether just a radiator and more airflow will do it.
Old 8/17/11, 10:45 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

But, oil temperatures - somewhat independent of water temps are also critical. It is conceivable that you can solve one without "solving" the other. We have equipped our oil-cooler equipped car with a oil temp gauge and today we are putting the same gauge in an OEM LS. Both cars will be on the same track, the same day, with hopefully the same expert driver (Rocketman), so we will have the opportunity to see OEM oil tmps for the first time - and also how those temps are effected with the inclusion of the air to oil cooler. Track temps are predicted to be 90F+ next week.... not ideal for the best time at a track day but more or less ideal for the testing that we want to do. Now, we just have to get that gauge installed and get all the cars loaded into the carrier for their trek up to Utah!
Exactly. Wish we had oil temp. I need to figure out where to install a sender to connect to my Aeroforce gauge. This is why even if I solve the ECT issue, I may still do an oil cooler.

Kendall - How easy/difficult is it going to be to access the oil filter after relocation for doing oil changes? Would it require removal of the Laguna Seca splitter for cars equipped with it?
Old 8/17/11, 11:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Exactly. Wish we had oil temp. I need to figure out where to install a sender to connect to my Aeroforce gauge. This is why even if I solve the ECT issue, I may still do an oil cooler.
Despite that the pic in the manual makes the oil pressure to oil filter housing piece look non-standard, it is a "conventional" sending unit with 1/8" NPT threads. Space is a little tight, but I'm sure it can be tee'd for a temp sensor. This is what Ryan is doing today on Terry's car. We can discuss further in Utah!

Kendall - How easy/difficult is it going to be to access the oil filter after relocation for doing oil changes? Would it require removal of the Laguna Seca splitter for cars equipped with it?
I sure hope it works as well as it is packaged. No need to remove anything!!! I'll show you at MMP!
Old 8/17/11, 02:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
I will most likely do the same. Oil temps are something to be concerned about if you are going to track this car. A gauge and cooler are high on my Santa list for the winter
Old 8/17/11, 03:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think after September's track events, I'll be able to track it until about April of next year until it starts really getting hot again here in AZ.

So by then this should all be settled due to everyone's pioneering w/ additional cooling measures
Old 8/17/11, 03:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
So by then this should all be settled due to everyone's pioneering w/ additional cooling measures
Slacker!

Old 8/17/11, 03:13 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by JScheier
Slacker!

Old 8/17/11, 06:01 PM
JBG

Kendall
I'll have my non-LS Boss in Utah for some temp comparisons. Hopefully the work I've done to the car will povide some benefit.
John
Old 8/17/11, 10:21 PM
Bullitt Member

I'll have my non-LS Boss in Utah for some temp comparisons. Hopefully the work I've done to the car will povide some benefit.
Super!! We'll all learn together!!

FYI: My superstar son (Ryan) finished the oil temp gauge install in Terry's car - a proof point that you can install oil temp in any of the OEM bosses.
Old 8/18/11, 01:34 PM
V6 Member

Super!! We'll all learn together!!

FYI: My superstar son (Ryan) finished the oil temp gauge install in Terry's car - a proof point that you can install oil temp in any of the OEM bosses.
Way to go Ryan!

Quick Reply: Track Temps - Cool Tech LLC Update