Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302
View Poll Results: Did you pay "extra" for track key?
No. Track key was part of the sale.
46.67%
Yes. I had to pay $302 or more to install track key
53.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Track key free?

Search this Thread

Old 2/2/13, 05:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Track key free?

Just curious as to how many owners that did not have to pay for track key when they bought they're boss. How many dealers threw track key in the deal as a selling bonus?
Old 2/2/13, 06:11 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine didn't know what was the track key , I had to call a couple of dealers before I could find some that knew what I was taking about, one even try to order a actual key not the voucher with all the info. To answer your question , no I had to pay for it
Old 2/2/13, 06:14 AM
V6 Member

The dealer that i bought my boss from had a deal where you buy a boss you get the trackey for free.
Old 2/2/13, 05:41 PM

Part of the purchase, but not included in the price.

The dealership, and the SVT Manager there said the TracKey is an included item with the car. So therefore, the only thing that had to be done was the dealer had to verify with Ford that the car was sold, and then they would receive the software to activate the TracKey.
Old 2/3/13, 02:42 AM
GT Member

I've been sitting on this story for some time and I'm ready to tell it.

My salesperson said he would include "it" with the deal (not knowing exactly what "it" was). When he told me that, I said it was a great deal because other dealerships were charging as much as $300 to get it installed. He said that it was made for the car and he didn't believe I should pay extra to have it. So I figured he knew what he was talking about and he would just cover the cost with the service dept.

At the time, I saw the red key and the info card attached to it, but I didn't do any research about the installation because I figured it would all be taken care of by the dealer. A week later, I showed up for the appointment to get it installed and the salesperson introduced me to the service manager. He told the service manager what I needed to get done and told me to have a seat in the waiting room. I could see on the service manager's face that he had no idea what it was. As I sat watching tv in the waiting room, the guys in service made phone calls, found the website, and finally went to the salesperson's office to ask for the blue voucher. At that point, he came to me and said that I'd have to wait until I received the voucher in the mail. I asked him if it came in Boss Customer Package and he said "most likely, yes".

I went home upset and did my own research.

24 hours later, I went back in the salesperson's office and told him everything I discovered and that the voucher is sold by Ford Racing for $302. I knew he wasn't "BSing" me in his intention to give it to me for free; the problem was that he genuinely didn't know what was involved and figured it was just something the guys in service would download in a few minutes. He apologized and said it was his mistake and that he would do everything he could to get it to me for free, but if his boss said he couldn't, would I be willing to pay for 1/2 of it at dealer cost.

I agreed.

I went home and made a few calls to find out what installing the trackey would mean for my ESP Premium extended warranty. I discovered that even though Ford and Ford Racing has warranty conditions for the trackey, ESP is a separate company and its coverage would be completely voided by installing it. Then, I entertained the idea of just buy it and holding on to the voucher until my warranty expires, but another phone call to Ford Racing confirmed there's no guarantee the voucher would work/be valid 7 years from now. And that sealed the deal for me because my main purpose in buying a Boss 302 was to have a sports car that I wouldn't mod and keep the warranty.

So I went back and told the salesman that I'd settle for a free set of OEM all weather floor mats and the rest is history. I'll get the trackey installed someday. But I'll get it after my warranty expires and at a dealership that actually knows how to install it.

Last edited by tifo; 2/3/13 at 04:16 AM.
Old 2/3/13, 03:54 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,629 Posts
Got mine installed for 50% off two weeks after getting the car! I had my salesman write it out as an I owe you slip (during my sales transaction) for when it arrived Love it!!!

Last edited by Mustang Freak; 2/3/13 at 03:58 AM.
Old 2/3/13, 06:52 AM
Bullitt Member

I paid for the purchase of Track Key, and the dealer threw in the labor to install it.

Also, as we all know, our cars come from the factory with 1/8 of a tank, my dealer tanked up mine for free also.
Old 2/3/13, 09:22 AM

Mine was free but I had to pay for the gas for the three trips to get it right!
When down there to have it installed and the dealer didn't know what was needed. So obviously the blue confirmation slip was not purchased. So i left and came back two days later.
Next the Internet connection for the dealerships computers crapped out during the install. They were afraid to remove the software thinking it would wipe the car's info or something. So I had to go to enterprise and get a rental (gmc canyon. I'm pissed. That truck is made for people under 5' tall, and I'm 6'4".)
The dealer called the next day and everything was installed and was working perfectly.
So I had about $100 in gas and a small headache, but it was totally worth it.
Old 2/3/13, 09:39 AM
GT Member

To the defense of alot of dealers, most will verify there is a "RED" key with the owners manual and "assume" that is what they are throwing in for free..
Once you educate a dealer whats involved with programming a RED key, ie $302 and the shop time, you should be able to negotiate the deal.

I work for a large Ford Dealership and as far as I know, we have yet to program one red key..
Old 2/8/13, 10:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Dealer told me today my "track key" will be $310 at vehicle purchase.
Old 2/9/13, 06:06 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My local SVT dealer charged me over $400.00 for the install.

I'm actually pretty ticked off, wouldn't even offer the Corperate Perks discount that I get on all Ford parts and assesories.
Old 2/9/13, 10:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by UnrealFord
My local SVT dealer charged me over $400.00 for the install.

I'm actually pretty ticked off, wouldn't even offer the Corperate Perks discount that I get on all Ford parts and assesories.
That sucks... Its almost like a gimick isnt it?
Im sure when i pay the $310 they will say the install is more......
Old 2/9/13, 12:27 PM
GT Member

I was told it was around a hundy to install. Don't get ripped
Old 2/9/13, 04:06 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bought my voucher from Levittown Ford....they had the best price, I want to say $220.00. My dealer charged exactly one hour of labor, $110 I believe....this even though it took them three hours to install. Seems about 75% of the way through the first download the PCM went blank...no mileage, car wouldn't start, nothing. Contacted Ford who told them "yea, sometimes that happens, just reboot it". So they did...five times, but it did work and even though it took longer than a hour, that's all I was charged for.
Old 2/11/13, 11:20 AM
V6 Member

I bought my Boss on Friday last week. When I worked out the deal with the dealership on the car I specified that the track key and installation would be provided at no additional charge. This dealership had previously installed Track Key on another Boss so knew what it was all about and what was involved.
Old 2/11/13, 08:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Kewel
Old 3/4/13, 10:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by osso12
Dealer told me today my "track key" will be $310 at vehicle purchase.
Now as I am trying to purchase the car...he is telling me the key is $302 at purchase and his shop guy told him $500 to install???
WTF??????

where do they come up with $302 at purchase and extra labor to install it?
If the red key comes with the car you should not pay $302 and additional $$$ for labor..
its one way or the other..it cant be both ways..

Last edited by osso12; 3/4/13 at 10:05 AM.
Old 3/4/13, 10:38 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,629 Posts
Originally Posted by osso12

Now as I am trying to purchase the car...he is telling me the key is $302 at purchase and his shop guy told him $500 to install???
WTF??????

where do they come up with $302 at purchase and extra labor to install it?
If the red key comes with the car you should not pay $302 and additional $$$ for labor..
its one way or the other..it cant be both ways..
$302 is on top of purchase ask dealer to throw it in or go 50%!
Old 3/4/13, 01:11 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is anyone buying a 40k+ vehicle and worrying about paying 3 measly bills for the track key?
Old 3/4/13, 01:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
$302 is on top of purchase ask dealer to throw it in or go 50%!
ugh. Ok. I told him while ago, I would pay for install... but not the $302 as the key itself comes with the car..... he said "yea ok" so we shall see.
I do not think i have ever been so obsessed with anything like this (BOSS 302)in my life... not good for my stress level....

Quick Reply: Track key free?