Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Track key for 2013 Boss 302

Search this Thread

Old 11/20/13, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Track key for 2013 Boss 302

Just perchased 2013 Boss 302, the track key was not loaded in car. Im learning I know more about the track key than the Ford dealers and I don't really know anything. One dealer quotes $600, another quotes $400. I hear i can get codes through venders or a ford dealer. I have a red key and i hope this one can be used.
Old 11/21/13, 05:22 AM
Cobra Member

You purchase a voucher that has a Ford Racing part number from a Ford Dealer, they can charge what they want for this, consider it the 'parts cost'. Since it's just a tune, you then have to pay the Ford Dealer to install it.

http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com

This place was known to have the lowest price for the voucher. You will still pay an hour's labor for the install.

Then do your research and find a Ford dealer in your area that has already performed an install of the Trackey. As this is a one of a kind process, specific to the Boss, they need a computer/laptop setup to perform the install. So find a dealer that has done them, it would be worth a long drive.

And yes, your red key will activate the tune once installed. Consider buying a spare silver key while there, as getting extra key programmed requires all of them, it's a PITA... There are plenty of track key install threads.

And yes, it's worth it. =D

Last edited by ace72ace; 11/21/13 at 05:23 AM.
Old 11/21/13, 05:51 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by ace72ace
You purchase a voucher that has a Ford Racing part number from a Ford Dealer, they can charge what they want for this, consider it the 'parts cost'. Since it's just a tune, you then have to pay the Ford Dealer to install it.

http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com

This place was known to have the lowest price for the voucher. You will still pay an hour's labor for the install.

Then do your research and find a Ford dealer in your area that has already performed an install of the Trackey. As this is a one of a kind process, specific to the Boss, they need a computer/laptop setup to perform the install. So find a dealer that has done them, it would be worth a long drive.

And yes, your red key will activate the tune once installed. Consider buying a spare silver key while there, as getting extra key programmed requires all of them, it's a PITA... There are plenty of track key install threads.

And yes, it's worth it. =D
Not sure if they still do the great deals they used to since Steve has since left and gone to Tasca where he is probably doing the 10% above cost deals.
Old 11/21/13, 06:25 PM

Thank you for the info, I will take it in next week to get uploaded.
Old 11/22/13, 01:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have had the Red Key since I bought mine in May 2012. My suggestion, and the way I want to go, is to save the money and research aftermarket tunes. I am probably going AED, eventually, but hopefully will score a handheld tuner soon from Steeda and start with their tunes included. The factory cold air is very good, and apparently the car will wake up considerably with a tune. remember, the stock numbers are based on the factory choking this beast down for the gubment, which I don't believe is changed with the track key tune, as HP and TQ don't change much, according to those who have done black key/red key comparisons.
Old 11/23/13, 06:28 AM

He's right, It doesn't do much, the best thing in my opinion is the lopey idle. It sounds sweet with the side plates off.

I decided to load the track key for 2 reasons. One, I'm sort of collecting and trying to stay close to stock as possible with light mods.

And also if I do use an aftermarket tuner, when I backup the stock Tune, It should backup the Redkey tune. Otherwise if you have an aftermarket tune installed, the dealer will not load the TrackKey tune.

But my friend loaded mine in my driveway with his work computer so I don't think I will have an issues there. It does take about an hour, and most dealers are clueless.

If you do buy it, it will come with the instructions for customer and dealer. I'd get familiar with both instructions and you'll see how much the dealer really knows. :P

Chris
Good luck
Old 11/23/13, 07:45 AM
Cobra Member

I like the Trackey

I disagree that 'it doesn't do much'. The local speed shop up my way had a Dyno day, and the owner told me that he's consistently seen about an 8hp increase with the Trackey over the silver. Sure that's not much, but it's something. What you get besides the cool idle, is the super snappy throttle response and enhanced engine braking. When I am able to take the Boss out on hilly, curvey back roads, it's really nice to have this braking feature while you are navigating blind curves and want to decelerate smoothly.

When I attended Track Attack, the instructors teach you about handling and control dynamics on the track. A big part of this is weight transfer, when you load/unload the drivetrain with your throttle inputs. You will go faster when you learn the lines of curves, and how to maintain maximum speed through turns with minimal braking. The more that I drive Boss with the Trackey, the more I appreciate it. Would I get the same enjoyment out of an AMT (after market tune) on the same back roads? Maybe, I can't honestly say because I haven't loaded another tune on my Boss. Perhaps after my warranty has expired I'll consider other options, just not now.

Will you get more raw power out of an aftermarket tune? Sure. But I bet your gas mileage suffers considerably when the A/F ratios are jacked across the power band. Now Boss owners didn't buy this model Mustang because we are concerned about fuel economy, and I'm not saying other tunes suck. But what I am saying is that the Trackey tune overall is pretty cool, and does what it should, which is improve your driving experience with no impact on your warrany, or peace of mind. The fact that you can have a unique and different tune at your disposal right from the factory that is activated with a twist of your key after a trip to your Ford dealer kicks ***.

I'd say the Trackey and AMTs are analogous to a 25 year old scotch and grain alcohol. One is smooth, refined, subtle and sublime. The other is raw, unrefined, over the top, and more powerful. Both are alcoholic beverages, and will eventually get you inebriated - but the speed and manner in which you get to that state determines your enjoyment of the experience. The journey should be as much fun as arriving at your destination.

So after reading tons of posts that bash the Trackey, I wanted to put my 2c out there on the subject. It's so much more than just a tune, just as a bottle of 25yo MacAllen differs from a jug of Mississippi moonshine.

These forums are loaded with people that just want more more more. More horsepower, fatter tires, super waxed paint, the loudest stereo, the coolest gadgets. There's nothing wrong with that, I want more too! But before I add any more HP to an already fast car, I want to spend money on some rear suspension upgrades to help get all that power to the ground first. I'm also spending money upgrading the stereo, which the track rat 'what-there-is-radio-in-this-car' purists would roll their eyes at. Meh, to each his own.

I suggest getting the Trackey install and test it out and see if it makes you happy. Yes it will cost about the same if not more than an AMT, but in my mind, it's worth it.

Last edited by ace72ace; 11/23/13 at 07:47 AM.
Old 12/1/13, 07:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ace72ace
I disagree that 'it doesn't do much'. The local speed shop up my way had a Dyno day, and the owner told me that he's consistently seen about an 8hp increase with the Trackey over the silver. Sure that's not much, but it's something. What you get besides the cool idle, is the super snappy throttle response and enhanced engine braking. When I am able to take the Boss out on hilly, curvey back roads, it's really nice to have this braking feature while you are navigating blind curves and want to decelerate smoothly.

When I attended Track Attack, the instructors teach you about handling and control dynamics on the track. A big part of this is weight transfer, when you load/unload the drivetrain with your throttle inputs. You will go faster when you learn the lines of curves, and how to maintain maximum speed through turns with minimal braking. The more that I drive Boss with the Trackey, the more I appreciate it. Would I get the same enjoyment out of an AMT (after market tune) on the same back roads? Maybe, I can't honestly say because I haven't loaded another tune on my Boss. Perhaps after my warranty has expired I'll consider other options, just not now.

Will you get more raw power out of an aftermarket tune? Sure. But I bet your gas mileage suffers considerably when the A/F ratios are jacked across the power band. Now Boss owners didn't buy this model Mustang because we are concerned about fuel economy, and I'm not saying other tunes suck. But what I am saying is that the Trackey tune overall is pretty cool, and does what it should, which is improve your driving experience with no impact on your warrany, or peace of mind. The fact that you can have a unique and different tune at your disposal right from the factory that is activated with a twist of your key after a trip to your Ford dealer kicks ***.

I'd say the Trackey and AMTs are analogous to a 25 year old scotch and grain alcohol. One is smooth, refined, subtle and sublime. The other is raw, unrefined, over the top, and more powerful. Both are alcoholic beverages, and will eventually get you inebriated - but the speed and manner in which you get to that state determines your enjoyment of the experience. The journey should be as much fun as arriving at your destination.

So after reading tons of posts that bash the Trackey, I wanted to put my 2c out there on the subject. It's so much more than just a tune, just as a bottle of 25yo MacAllen differs from a jug of Mississippi moonshine.

These forums are loaded with people that just want more more more. More horsepower, fatter tires, super waxed paint, the loudest stereo, the coolest gadgets. There's nothing wrong with that, I want more too! But before I add any more HP to an already fast car, I want to spend money on some rear suspension upgrades to help get all that power to the ground first. I'm also spending money upgrading the stereo, which the track rat 'what-there-is-radio-in-this-car' purists would roll their eyes at. Meh, to each his own.

I suggest getting the Trackey install and test it out and see if it makes you happy. Yes it will cost about the same if not more than an AMT, but in my mind, it's worth it.
Great post. My car was custom tuned at AED. It gained a modest 7 hp on 91 octane. The most noticeable improvement was the throttle response. The stock CAI is restrictive and I gained another 13 hp with a Steeda CAI. Were I to do it over again I would get the TracKey and compatible C&L CAI. I would trade the marginal, if any, power advantage of the AMT for the unique features of the TracKey.
Old 12/2/13, 09:12 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,619 Posts
Originally Posted by 65sohc
Great post. My car was custom tuned at AED. It gained a modest 7 hp on 91 octane. The most noticeable improvement was the throttle response. The stock CAI is restrictive and I gained another 13 hp with a Steeda CAI. Were I to do it over again I would get the TracKey and compatible C&L CAI. I would trade the marginal, if any, power advantage of the AMT for the unique features of the TracKey.
I agree it changed my car into a gnarly beast! I love it and very seldom ever use the grey key! :-)
Old 12/3/13, 05:12 PM
V6 Member

[QUOTE=ace72ace;6718157]I disagree that 'it doesn't do much'. The local speed shop up my way had a Dyno day, and the owner told me that he's consistently seen about an 8hp increase with the Trackey over the silver. Sure that's not much, but it's something. What you get besides the cool idle, is the super snappy throttle response and enhanced engine braking. When I am able to take the Boss out on hilly, curvey back roads, it's really nice to have this braking feature while you are navigating blind curves and want to decelerate smoothly.
A number months ago I installed the TracKey in one of my cars and since that time I do not drive this car without using the Red key. I certainly notice a difference with the TracKey activated rather than using the silver key.In addition to the cool idle, noticeable throttle response and increased engine braking once the TracKey is activated is the beautiful exhaust note from the side exhaust (baffles have been removed) during acceleration or decceleration. I regularly shift gears between 4500 and 6500 RPM with many shifts coming up to the 7500 RPM redline and in my opinion there are not many cars that can match the terrific exhaust note of these high winding Ford small blocks.Do yourself a favor and install the TracKey as I suggest you will not be disappointed.PS: Make sure to remove the baffle plates from the side exhaust!
Old 12/3/13, 05:20 PM
Bullitt Member

i run a custom tune..... wish i could run the redkey with my aftermarket stuff.......

maybe with the new models coming out ford will release the tuning ability to the other guys soon........ HOPEFULL..... i miss the engine breaking

but on another interesting not i do autox alot, and have issues pressing the loud peddle to fast..... my tuner dialed the throttle response DOWN..... we call it the lazy peddle
Old 12/9/13, 08:16 PM
Bullitt Member

I've decided I want to try the TracKey. I assume if unistall the aftermarket tune and return to stock tune and intake I can have the TracKey installed, right?

Last edited by 65sohc; 12/9/13 at 08:16 PM. Reason: more info
Old 12/10/13, 06:33 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
I've decided I want to try the TracKey. I assume if unistall the aftermarket tune and return to stock tune and intake I can have the TracKey installed, right?
Old 12/15/13, 09:36 AM
Bullitt Member

I read on another forum that if you have TracKey installed and then switch to an aftermarket tune TracKey is stored on the SCT tuner as part of the stock program. Then if you remove the aftermarket tune and return to stock TracKey is once again functional. Is this everyone's understanding?
Old 12/15/13, 02:51 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read on another forum that if you have TracKey installed and then switch to an aftermarket tune TracKey is stored on the SCT tuner as part of the stock program. Then if you remove the aftermarket tune and return to stock TracKey is once again functional. Is this everyone's understanding?
Yes, This is true. I have a TVS supercharger with tune and my stock tune and track key tune is stored in my SCT tuner. I could reverse all my mods and return to stock but I won't that would be crazy.
Old 12/16/13, 08:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by maddog2
Yes, This is true. I have a TVS supercharger with tune and my stock tune and track key tune is stored in my SCT tuner. I could reverse all my mods and return to stock but I won't that would be crazy.
In your case for sure. My only mod is a CAI so I think I'll give TracKey a try after removing my Steeda intake.If I like TK I'll get a TK-friendly C&L CAI.