Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 5/25/11, 10:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you get down this way, stop by the house as we typically have 4-5 examples of this one Ford model hang'n around...

Tires-cooltechmar8.jpg

Tires-dsc00492.jpg
Old 5/25/11, 10:56 PM
GT Member

to toss a little in here i have run through a set of star specs.. have driven a car with the nitto nt 05. they are pretty similar..

for those just starting on track, either will do well. but if you are learning the kooks v12 is a great choice.. i have a set on my daily driver. and rode 4 sessions with a friend that is an instructor that just put them on his rx8, he is a very good driver. a nsx on r compound had to point us by...(will try to find video) breaks away very even. talks to you the whole time.. and will last a while..

now this is with the rx8.. on 245 / 40 18. as were the star specs and nt 05. you might get 12 to 15k miles out of them. with a couple of track events a year.. the kooks are going to go a lot longer..

i have the bridgestone reo1r on my car for track use. i drive to and from the track. simple easy. the next track event i think i am going to take the kooks..

really i was amazed...

btw, what tire is on the ls? thought it was the same as the boss. nero summer 140 treadwear.

beers

Last edited by Swoope; 5/25/11 at 10:57 PM.
Old 5/25/11, 10:56 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by nota4re
If you get down this way, stop by the house as we typically have 4-5 examples of this one Ford model hang'n around...
Sweet, nice garage setup. Last Summer we were driving down I-5 by Tommy's on our way to Disneyland and saw a silver with stripes GT. It was probably you!
Old 5/25/11, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Swoope
to toss a little in here i have run through a set of star specs.. have driven a car with the nitto nt 05. they are pretty similar..

for those just starting on track, either will do well. but if you are learning the kooks v12 is a great choice.. i have a set on my daily driver. and rode 4 sessions with a friend that is an instructor that just put them on his rx8, he is a very good driver. a nsx on r compound had to point us by...(will try to find video) breaks away very even. talks to you the whole time.. and will last a while..

now this is with the rx8.. on 245 / 40 18. as were the star specs and nt 05. you might get 12 to 15k miles out of them. with a couple of track events a year.. the kooks are going to go a lot longer..

i have the bridgestone reo1r on my car for track use. i drive to and from the track. simple easy. the next track event i think i am going to take the kooks..

really i was amazed...

btw, what tire is on the ls? thought it was the same as the boss. nero summer 140 treadwear.

beers
Great info thanks. The LS has the Corsa R Pirelli's.
Old 5/25/11, 11:21 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Great info thanks. The LS has the Corsa R Pirelli's.
thx,

had no idea..

beers
Old 5/26/11, 04:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by fuhrius
I'll give a really strong endorsement for the Dunlop Z1 Star Spec tire.
they are:
- grippy, very grippy right from the get go...don't need a long time to heat up...perfect for DE sessions...and stay pretty consistent
- wear really well
- are relatively inexpensive
- have a great durability record (beyond wear...I'm talking about resisting road / track debris)

they've become highly-regarded by auto-x guys...track guys out here are starting to run them a lot.

oh, and they're street tires.
The Z1 was the top tire in the review I posted but I can't find them in the proper size.
Same here, couldn't find 18" or 19" sizes
Old 5/26/11, 04:59 AM
Bullitt Member

rims

Why can't I find Light weight rims in 18's with 9.5 in the front and 10's in the back? The Enkie PF01 comes in 9.5 and 10.5. The SVE comes in 9 & 10's. Ford Racing comes in 9.5 and 10's but only in 19's
Any suggestions
Old 5/26/11, 06:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Rest assured that the LS's come with street-legal (r-compound) tires. If you have two sets of wheels/tires then you don't have to give any consideration for street worthiness when selecting your track tires. It would be nice if Hoosier makes something that would work in the not so distant future.
Thanks for the clarification. And indeed, dedicated track wheels/tires would certainly be great, given the expense of the LS stock tires. I also presume those tires would be usable if you got caught in the rain while driving.
Old 5/26/11, 06:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bridgestone RE-11's or Direzzas would get my vote, in your case. Not sure you'd be thrilled with the NT05 for what you are doing. But if you ran dedicated track tires, NT01's or perhaps Yoko Advans wouldn't be a bad way to go. Get them heat cycled and you should see a good, consistent season out of either of them. My personal preference is for consistency when heated, and the Advans and the NT01's don't get all greasy on you.
Old 5/26/11, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bossdog
Why can't I find Light weight rims in 18's with 9.5 in the front and 10's in the back? The Enkie PF01 comes in 9.5 and 10.5. The SVE comes in 9 & 10's. Ford Racing comes in 9.5 and 10's but only in 19's
Any suggestions
Member cloud9 runs the Enkei 9.5 and 10.5 18" rims with 285 and 305 rubber F and R. Forgestar makes lightweight 18" 9's and 10's with the proper offset. Not cheap but not outrageous either.

http://www.elementwheels.com/categor...rgestar-wheels
Old 5/26/11, 08:43 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Member cloud9 runs the Enkei 9.5 and 10.5 18" rims with 285 and 305 rubber F and R. Forgestar makes lightweight 18" 9's and 10's with the proper offset. Not cheap but not outrageous either.

http://www.elementwheels.com/categor...rgestar-wheels
If you go this route, you want the 18 x 9.5 35mm offsets for the front and 18 x 10.5 38mm offsets for the rear. They're not technically "street legal" as the rears will sit just barely outside the fenders, but they will not rub even if you compress the suspension to the bump stops. You have a ton of clearance to the strut in the front, and with the additional negative camber I'm nowhere near the front fenders. I'm sure even with the stock -0.95 camber up front you'd be fine with the fenders, but I could probably test fit them on a friend's stock 5.0 at the track tomorrow.....assuming it doesn't rain.

This setup seems to "move" the whole stance out giving the car incredible stability in the corners compared to stock. Basically you get an extra 1" of rubber at all four corners.

I also have a set of 302S or Laguna Seca wheels with machined (not red) face. 19 x 9 and 19 x 10 with Hoosier R6s that I have yet to test. Might happen tomorrow depending on whether the Nittos give up the ghost.

Last edited by cloud9; 5/26/11 at 08:48 AM.
Old 5/26/11, 08:53 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 2012B2LS
Something just seems wrong when someone that calls himself P0Corsa recommends a Hankook tire.
He does have a point P zero....
Old 5/26/11, 08:54 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
If you go this route, you want the 18 x 9.5 35mm offsets for the front and 18 x 10.5 38mm offsets for the rear. They're not technically "street legal" as the rears will sit just barely outside the fenders, but they will not rub even if you compress the suspension to the bump stops. You have a ton of clearance to the strut in the front, and with the additional negative camber I'm nowhere near the front fenders. I'm sure even with the stock -0.95 camber up front you'd be fine with the fenders, but I could probably test fit them on a friend's stock 5.0 at the track tomorrow.....assuming it doesn't rain.

This setup seems to "move" the whole stance out giving the car incredible stability in the corners compared to stock. Basically you get an extra 1" of rubber at all four corners.

I also have a set of 302S or Laguna Seca wheels with machined (not red) face. 19 x 9 and 19 x 10 with Hoosier R6s that I have yet to test. Might happen tomorrow depending on whether the Nittos give up the ghost.
I'd be very interested in your opinion of the Hoosier tire. I'm interested in the same rims for my Boss.
Old 5/26/11, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jza1736
I'd be very interested in your opinion of the Hoosier tire. I'm interested in the same rims for my Boss.
It would be nice to have a good affordable track tire for the stock rims (or LS and 302S). I'm going a slightly different direction by buying aftermarket rims for the street and using the stock rims for the track.
Old 5/26/11, 09:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2012B2LS
Something just seems wrong when someone that calls himself P0Corsa recommends a Hankook tire.

Hey, hey, hey! I had to come up with an appropriate screen name, had a LS on order and knew one of the differentiating features was the R compound Corsa’s on the LS. Thus the P0 Corsa. And I cannot wait to try them out on the track. Since these Pirelli’s carry a DOT wear rating of 60 (yep 60!) they are soft and will wear quickly either on the street or track. At approx $585 -$614 per each (rears) that could run into some significant replacement cost.

So let me explain my Hankook selection. A month or so ago I decided to have ready a set of “street” tires for my LS so I can save the expensive R compound Corsa’s for the track. Since my dislike for the ugly red rims on the car has already been stated (many times) I purchased the OE sized rims from Ford in black from Ford Racing. My tire selection criteria was: 1) wanted a DOT wear rating of around 220 based on prior car tracking experience with this value on Goodyear’s, 2) Price of around $200 so my wallet would not be so lightweight after a 4 tire replacement and 3) a reasonable performance, tire speed rated and good/better wet traction capability for street use.

I studied the internet and came across the below Car and Driver article which tested 9 summer performance tires relative to the Brigestone Pilot Sport PS2’s (which is a known great performance tire but also costly).
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/09q2/tire_test_nine_affordable_summer_tires_take_on_the _michelin_ps2-comparison_tests
The study concluded 3 tested candidates actually exceeded the Brigestone performance baseline, Dunlop Direzza, Hankook Ventus and Kumho Ecsta’s. The size tested was 225/45R-17. So I looked at each of those three top performers and the only manufacturer to supply tires in our 255/40 front, 285/35 rear size was the Hankook Ventus V12 EVO’s. And thus I bought a set to mount on the black OE rims for street (and possible limited track) use.

Originally Posted by ShaneM
i've been looking at this as well. my issue is i have no truck or trailer and all my events are at least two hours drive each way from me. 555's are no better than what the Boss comes with IMHO other than being cheaper. i have been looking for tires that will fit stock sizes.

it seems there just arent any real options out there. the nt05s don't come in stock sizes. are the hankook ventus v12s going to be any better than what comes on the car?
Shane- Depends on your definition of “better”. My selection criteria is stated above. The selection of Hankook tires for me is better based on my criteria. The OE Pirelli’s are excellent tires on our Boss. What do you want from your tires?

Ok nota4re, now you’ve gone and set the bar high…!
Old 5/26/11, 09:53 AM
Cobra Member

It would be nice to have a good affordable track tire for the stock rims (or LS and 302S). I'm going a slightly different direction by buying aftermarket rims for the street and using the stock rims for the track.
The reason I'm planning on using the LS rims for the track with race rubber is the more staggered set up 9's in the front, and 10's in the back. The stock Boss stock setup only staggers 9 & 9.5. Ive only tracked my Pontiac G8 a few times on it's original tires. I know nothing about tires and setting them up. I'm believing the Ford engineers did a great job by all the reviews(magazines & forums). Ill upgrade the brakes eventually also
Old 5/26/11, 11:37 AM
Cobra Member

What I would like is a set of rubber to fit the stock boss 302 wheels that have better grip and don't flex as much in hard Autox corners. I don't mind if they only last 12-15k with some Autox and track days in there. I have to drive them to and from the track and as dd too. Granted I don't drive far each day maybe 20 miles max.
Old 5/26/11, 11:46 AM

Will the 10.5" wheels with 38mm offset fit my 2011 GT that has been lowered with Steeda sport springs and D specs (1.5" lower in rear and 1" lower in front)

Also, if I went with a slightly narrower tire than 305 in the rear then it should be flush with fenders?
Old 5/26/11, 03:56 PM
Bullitt Member

What I would like is a set of rubber to fit the stock boss 302 wheels that have better grip and don't flex as much in hard Autox corners. I don't mind if they only last 12-15k with some Autox and track days in there. I have to drive them to and from the track and as dd too. Granted I don't drive far each day maybe 20 miles max.
Shane, again you do not really state your tire selection purpose.
They have to "have better grip". Better than WHAT? And how are you defining "grip"? And don't "flex" as hard.....hard as what?

The Pirelli PO on the street boss has tires with a UTQGL rating of 220/AA/A ($379/$488 front/rear).
The Pirelli PO Corsa's on the LS have a rating of 60/AA/A ($532/$589).

So according to DOT testing both have the same wet traction and temperature capability. Although one would sumarize the lower wear rating on the Corsa's would most probably give the tire (car) more "grip".

The Hankook Ventus tires have a rating of 280/AA/A so again equivalent wet traction/temperature capacity as the OE Pirelli's and maybe a little less "grip" only based on the 280 wear rating relative to the 220 of the PO. But Car and Driver described these tires as, " With above-average wet and dry performances, and tying for quietest on the street loop, the V12 Evo is an impressive and well-rounded summer tire."

If you want a "grippy" tire that already fits the Ford OE rim, do not mind that the tires do not last a long time and the tire is in fact sanctioned by Ford on the Boss car, then by all means go with the Pirelli PO Corsa's as the best in traction! (and probably flexes the least although I am not sure how that would be measured).
Old 5/26/11, 04:05 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by P0 Corsa
Shane, again you do not really state your tire selection purpose.
They have to "have better grip". Better than WHAT? And how are you defining "grip"? And don't "flex" as hard.....hard as what?

The Pirelli PO on the street boss has tires with a UTQGL rating of 220/AA/A ($379/$488 front/rear).
The Pirelli PO Corsa's on the LS have a rating of 60/AA/A ($532/$589).

So according to DOT testing both have the same wet traction and temperature capability. Although one would sumarize the lower wear rating on the Corsa's would most probably give the tire (car) more "grip".

The Hankook Ventus tires have a rating of 280/AA/A so again equivalent wet traction/temperature capacity as the OE Pirelli's and maybe a little less "grip" only based on the 280 wear rating relative to the 220 of the PO. But Car and Driver described these tires as, " With above-average wet and dry performances, and tying for quietest on the street loop, the V12 Evo is an impressive and well-rounded summer tire."

If you want a "grippy" tire that already fits the Ford OE rim, do not mind that the tires do not last a long time and the tire is in fact sanctioned by Ford on the Boss car, then by all means go with the Pirelli PO Corsa's as the best in traction! (and probably flexes the least although I am not sure how that would be measured).
lol, your asking questions like i know what i am talking about. I'm a racing noob, when i autocrossed the car, it slid a lot. i know that depends on the conditions and track, it also pushed a lot in the turns. i think the experienced guys called it turn over?? (i was speed addled and my brain was mostly just making my head nod and thinking OMFG that was cool so i half listened) You could see where the tires rolled onto the side wall in hard turns, someone said a tire with less flex and stiffer sidewalls would turn in better and not have that issue. Basically, i want the stickiest tires that i can use for autox and track with decent tread life. I'd rather not spend $600 per tire there has to be something with more grip than whats on my car, but less than the Ls tires at $600. Maybe i just don't know what i am talking about enough to be concerned at this point Still, if what you are saying is that the treadwear is the most important what i was trying to say is it doesn't make sense to get a tire with less grip. perhaps treadwear isn't all that has to do with the grip a tire can provide. we need a sticky to explain tire choices to noobs with respect to what can be used on the boss and a normal GT

Quick Reply: Tires