Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 5/25/11, 05:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires

I searched this topic and did not see much.
I'm looking down the road to replacement. Cloud9 was right, there is not much out there for our stock tire size. Following Cloud's lead, i looked at 18" wheels. I am looking at Nitto's NT05 as I will most likely be driving my car to events.
I am assuming the Pirelli PZero will be a more comfortable ride as they are classified as "Luxury Performance". They have held up well in my 3 events this year, but really expensive. Any thought on how the NT05 will compare on the track? Same, Better or worse? I'm not really concerned with the "comfort" of the ride with this set. I will most likely have 2 sets, street and track, but change them at Home and drive to the track.
Any other ideas for track tires I can drive to the track?
Can anyone tell me the offset needed on our rims to clear the Brembo's?

Last edited by Bossdog; 5/25/11 at 06:40 PM.
Old 5/25/11, 06:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just spend three days looking into all this, got a set of Nitto 555's since LMR did not have the 05's in stock yet. I ended up with 18x9, 18x10 rims. Best I can tell if you are going to run the 05's you should change them at the track or trailer it. If you are driving to the track better off with the 555's.

I am going to post about my adventure on the other site in a little bit.
Old 5/25/11, 07:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Despite that both me and a close friend have LS's on order and neither of us has yet to receive a VIN.... we DO each have a spare set of wheels and tires.

Since the LS comes with the R compound tires, the thought process is that we should try to use these up on the track - and then go to a more pure track tire when needed. As such, and with the advice/input of P0Corsa, we each bought a set of the Hankook Ventus V12's. They carry the exact OEM sizes for our Bosses. I was looking to go a little wider in the rear but that's virtually impossible without having a pretty big diameter decrease since the aspect ratio drops too much as soon as you look at 295's or 305's. So, stock size it is! Now, if I could just get a car in the queue!!
Old 5/25/11, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by nota4re
Despite that both me and a close friend have LS's on order and neither of us has yet to receive a VIN.... we DO each have a spare set of wheels and tires.

Since the LS comes with the R compound tires, the thought process is that we should try to use these up on the track - and then go to a more pure track tire when needed. As such, and with the advice/input of P0Corsa, we each bought a set of the Hankook Ventus V12's. They carry the exact OEM sizes for our Bosses. I was looking to go a little wider in the rear but that's virtually impossible without having a pretty big diameter decrease since the aspect ratio drops too much as soon as you look at 295's or 305's. So, stock size it is! Now, if I could just get a car in the queue!!
Something just seems wrong when someone that calls himself P0Corsa recommends a Hankook tire.
Old 5/25/11, 07:54 PM
Cobra Member

i've been looking at this as well. my issue is i have no truck or trailer and all my events are at least two hours drive each way from me. 555's are no better than what the Boss comes with IMHO other than being cheaper. i have been looking for tires that will fit stock sizes.

it seems there just arent any real options out there. the nt05s don't come in stock sizes. are the hankook ventus v12s going to be any better than what comes on the car?
Old 5/25/11, 08:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Since the LS comes with the R compound tires, the thought process is that we should try to use these up on the track - and then go to a more pure track tire when needed.
To what tires are you referring? Aren't R-compound tires track-only tires?
Old 5/25/11, 08:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
Just spend three days looking into all this, got a set of Nitto 555's since LMR did not have the 05's in stock yet. I ended up with 18x9, 18x10 rims. Best I can tell if you are going to run the 05's you should change them at the track or trailer it. If you are driving to the track better off with the 555's.

I am going to post about my adventure on the other site in a little bit.
What rims did you get? The Enkie Racing PF01 does not come in 18x10, only 18x9, 9.5 and10.5
What makes you say "trailer the NT05's". Nitto's description is "Street tire"
Old 5/25/11, 08:31 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I've also been thinking of the Hankook's for my track rims (stock rims). Not the most high performance but that's where I'm going to start.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

Last edited by 5 DOT 0; 5/25/11 at 08:33 PM.
Old 5/25/11, 08:39 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Bossdog
What rims did you get? The Enkie Racing PF01 does not come in 18x10, only 18x9, 9.5 and10.5
What makes you say "trailer the NT05's". Nitto's description is "Street tire"
One of the real racers can answer better then me, I am just going on what I have been told and read. I see nothing on the Nitto site that says the 05's are for street, they are a race tire. The 555's are a street or track type tire.

I went with a set of SVE rims and Nitto tire combo from latemodelrestoration, 18x9 and 18x10. After talking with Gary and seeing what others are saying I decided that I had to stay with the factory like staggered setup at any cost. Luckily the prices at LMR were very good and later I plan to get the 05's on the same rims.

Edit, I see now the two different 05's on the nitto side

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 5/25/11 at 09:39 PM.
Old 5/25/11, 08:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
I've also been thinking of the Hankook's for my track rims (stock rims). Not the most high performance but that's where I'm going to start.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests
Thanks Rick. I am going with a extra complete set to swap out for track days, to me the cost is less doing this in the long run. I don't plan to run TPM in the race tires and swapping out tires on the factory rims can get costly aside from potential damage to the rims. You should be able to re-use the sensors but there is a chance of damage to them if you end up swapping back and forth several times on the same rims.
Old 5/25/11, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
Thanks Rick. I am going with a extra complete set to swap out for track days, to me the cost is less doing this in the long run. I don't plan to run TPM in the race tires and swapping out tires on the factory rims can get costly aside from potential damage to the rims. You should be able to re-use the sensors but there is a chance of damage to them if you end up swapping back and forth several times on the same rims.
I'm buying different rims for the street and will run my stock rims for the track. No swapping tires, besides being expensive it's a hassle! I think the TPMS might even be more important on the track with higher speeds (non racing). Anyone else got an opinion on that?
Old 5/25/11, 09:13 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
I think the TPMS might even be more important on the track with higher speeds (non racing). Anyone else got an opinion on that?
I don't care, it throws a light. I will be checking the pressure after each run, it you blow out a tire it is not going to help you. If you put it in the grass/dirt/sand you need to come in and check the beads right away. As long as you are taking care of them a slow leak where the system will ever help would be rare.
Old 5/25/11, 09:26 PM
Bullitt Member

To what tires are you referring? Aren't R-compound tires track-only tires?
Rest assured that the LS's come with street-legal (r-compound) tires. If you have two sets of wheels/tires then you don't have to give any consideration for street worthiness when selecting your track tires. It would be nice if Hoosier makes something that would work in the not so distant future.
Old 5/25/11, 09:32 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't care, it throws a light. I will be checking the pressure after each run, it you blow out a tire it is not going to help you. If you put it in the grass/dirt/sand you need to come in and check the beads right away. As long as you are taking care of them a slow leak where the system will ever help would be rare.
I don't really care about the light either, but the tracks out here in the West get sharp rocks kicked up on them and these rocks sometimes play hell with tires like the Hoosiers. An extra set of tire sensors is cheap insurance but your point is well taken that at the track you are ALWAYS checking tires and fiddlin' with pressures.
Old 5/25/11, 09:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Dunlop Star Specs

I'll give a really strong endorsement for the Dunlop Z1 Star Spec tire.
they are:
- grippy, very grippy right from the get go...don't need a long time to heat up...perfect for DE sessions...and stay pretty consistent
- wear really well
- are relatively inexpensive
- have a great durability record (beyond wear...I'm talking about resisting road / track debris)

they've become highly-regarded by auto-x guys...track guys out here are starting to run them a lot.

oh, and they're street tires.
Old 5/25/11, 09:55 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
i've been looking at this as well. my issue is i have no truck or trailer and all my events are at least two hours drive each way from me. 555's are no better than what the Boss comes with IMHO other than being cheaper. i have been looking for tires that will fit stock sizes.
Speed rating to correct my post before:

The factory PZero has a Z rating which signifies a maximum speed capability in excess of 149 mph, the W in the 555 and NT05 tire's is max speed in excess of 168 mph. Again someone might explain the "in excess" part in layman's terms but they do have a better speed rating the way I see it.

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 5/25/11 at 09:57 PM.
Old 5/25/11, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by fuhrius
I'll give a really strong endorsement for the Dunlop Z1 Star Spec tire.
they are:
- grippy, very grippy right from the get go...don't need a long time to heat up...perfect for DE sessions...and stay pretty consistent
- wear really well
- are relatively inexpensive
- have a great durability record (beyond wear...I'm talking about resisting road / track debris)

they've become highly-regarded by auto-x guys...track guys out here are starting to run them a lot.

oh, and they're street tires.
The Z1 was the top tire in the review I posted but I can't find them in the proper size.
Old 5/25/11, 10:22 PM

I don't really care about the light either, but the tracks out here in the West get sharp rocks kicked up on them and these rocks sometimes play hell with tires like the Hoosiers. An extra set of tire sensors is cheap insurance but your point is well taken that at the track you are ALWAYS checking tires and fiddlin' with pressures.
Where are you located?
Old 5/25/11, 10:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Santa Clarita..... or in track terms, 65miles East of Willow and 65 miles South of ButtonWillow. LOL
Old 5/25/11, 10:41 PM

I'm about 180 from Laguna Seca, 90 from Infineon, and 110 from Thunder Hill.

Quick Reply: Tires