Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 8/20/11, 05:21 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test Drive

I had the pleasure of test driving a Boss today. I'm dying to take the plunge, but I really want to wait and see the 2013's first.

Anyway, it wasn't a long drive but had the chance to go through the gears a few times, take a few curves, and roll on the throttle in 2nd and 3rd gear pretty good.

After the fact, it occured to me that I never experienced the skip shift, which I figured I would should have kicked in at low speed manuvering through the lot (it was a rather large lot). Under what conditions exactly should this occur?

Also, the car had 32 miles on it and it felt "normal" so I assume the "dealer limp mode" or whatever it's called had worked it's way out. Is there an exact mileage where that happens, or does it vary?

After driving it, if I had any doubt about wanting one, it's gone. The car was so silky smooth and easy to drive... super light clutch, smooth shifting, comfy (base) seats, etc. Such a world of difference compared to my 1999 (kenne bell, spec clutch, suspension, Corbeau seats, etc), I've always loved my car, but the Boss is so much more civilized. I was also afraid that since the Boss is somewhat down on power and torque compared to my car, I wouldn't be impressed. That's not the case at all!

I think it's time to find a buyer for my old friend and get into a new Boss!
Old 8/20/11, 05:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Technically, as part of the PDI the dealer should reset transportation mode by disconnecting the battery and then re-connecting. By 30 miles it would definitely be gone. For skip-shift, accelerate "normally" in first from a deal stop. At about 3K RPM a message will display in the dask stating that skip-shift will invoke if you shift. If you don't start form a DEAD stop, or if you accelerate quickly, skip shift won't intrude. Note that skip shift is a 2-minute (at most) job to disable once you have the car. No problem!