Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

SR Short Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 12/27/12, 03:35 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SR Short Shifter

AmericanMuscle had a deal on an SR short shifter so I picked up that and their bracket. I installed it a few days ago. Installation was reasonable for the most part though removal of the shift ball was not!

I tried for a good 20 minutes to get it to budge, hitting it with heat as I read that helps. I finally got it to move while causing some soreness on my hands. I kept turning it little by little and it seemed like I wasn't making any progress. Sure enough, the loc-tited metal screw piece that goes on the shifter wasn't moving. I was twisting the ball over that and just getting the teeth inside the ball to move over that metal piece. At that point, I noticed what was going on and just pulled the ball up and used a pair of channel locks to get the metal piece off. Seriously though Ford, you do not need to loc-tite these things on there.

The rest was a breeze. Even installing the bracket wasn't too bad. Just had to put a little grease on the rubber bushing to get the bracket in-place.

As for the feel now, I'm much happier with it. The throw is marginally shorter, I wouldn't buy this particular shifter for that alone. But the movement while rowing through the gears is much, much more confident. It doesn't want to wobble laterally during changes like the stock one does. Much of this probably has to do with the bushing on the bracket. Also as a result of the firm bushing, this setup makes a good bit more noise. It doesn't bother me though and I'm pretty sure if you own this car, you don't mind some mechanical noises.

I can't wait to take this out on track with the new setup. I'm very pleased with it and was well worth the just under $200 price tag.
Old 12/28/12, 07:23 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mattlqx
AmericanMuscle had a deal on an SR short shifter so I picked up that and their bracket. I installed it a few days ago. Installation was reasonable for the most part though removal of the shift ball was not!

I tried for a good 20 minutes to get it to budge, hitting it with heat as I read that helps. I finally got it to move while causing some soreness on my hands. I kept turning it little by little and it seemed like I wasn't making any progress. Sure enough, the loc-tited metal screw piece that goes on the shifter wasn't moving. I was twisting the ball over that and just getting the teeth inside the ball to move over that metal piece. At that point, I noticed what was going on and just pulled the ball up and used a pair of channel locks to get the metal piece off. Seriously though Ford, you do not need to loc-tite these things on there.

The rest was a breeze. Even installing the bracket wasn't too bad. Just had to put a little grease on the rubber bushing to get the bracket in-place.

As for the feel now, I'm much happier with it. The throw is marginally shorter, I wouldn't buy this particular shifter for that alone. But the movement while rowing through the gears is much, much more confident. It doesn't want to wobble laterally during changes like the stock one does. Much of this probably has to do with the bushing on the bracket. Also as a result of the firm bushing, this setup makes a good bit more noise. It doesn't bother me though and I'm pretty sure if you own this car, you don't mind some mechanical noises.

I can't wait to take this out on track with the new setup. I'm very pleased with it and was well worth the just under $200 price tag.
Matt,

I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying your SR Performance shifter. That shifter is awesome and very affordable! I agree with you on the install, removing the ball can be a PITA for sure.

I think my personal favorite part about this shifter is that it gets rid of the side to side slop and still makes the shifts extremely short!

Let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance!

-Dan
Old 12/28/12, 11:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
cool, I was considering this, but was waiting to hear some first-hand (pun) impressions. I have a poly bushing in the stock bracket, but it hasn't made a huge difference (though I haven't driven my car much this year, so hard to say)
Old 12/28/12, 10:03 PM
GT Member

You're welcome to give mine a row anytime, Chris. Maybe we'll even be at the same track together again someday.
Old 12/30/12, 08:37 AM
GT Member

At the chance of sounding arrogant, but truthful. Why settle for a bargain shifter for your $45K BOSS? The MGW shifter's quality is a bargain at the $400. they ask for it. I've driven many MT 82's with other shifters, Bartons included, the MGW is like night and day above the others.
Old 12/30/12, 09:27 AM
GT Member

Perhaps if I would've tried it out I would've gone that route, but $400 for a shifter is pretty steep in my book. Particularly if I'm happy with the $200 one. If this car were $150k Aston Martin, I'd probably agree with you on not cheaping out though.
Old 12/30/12, 09:33 AM
Bullitt Member

I initially thought the MGW shifter was too pricey, but after research and now after having it in my GT, I feel it is worth every penny and would not want another shifter and if you feel that way about your SR shifter that is good enough, anything is better than the disposable OE shifter.