Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Some Interesting Trackey Info

Search this Thread

Old 6/7/11, 09:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Track Key Update

For those of us still "crying" for our TrackKey, I recently attended a Shelby car event in the Midwest which Ford kindly sent two engineering representatives in two new Boss 302’s for show-and-tell. The Competition Orange (white stripes) pre-production “mule” was driven by a design team engineer responsible for electronic engine management (including TracKey) and the other representative an engineering strategic planner drove a new production yellow blaze. Both answered general Boss questions all day and made a presentation on the car at the dinner awards banquet.

Knowing the TracKey availability is of great importance to us Boss owners, many of my questions focused on this topic. The Boss design team is working diligently with all the Certifying agencies to get full 50 state approval of the TracKey and have spent weeks if not months working with these agencies. The novelty of the TracKey is a benefit (to us owners who want engine performance parameters tailored for track use) and yet at the same time a significant challenge for certification. Note, the very existence of this dual-path tune approach was conceived as a “nice to have” dream within the development team, was not internally funded and four resourceful engineers worked many off-the-clock hours bringing this dream concept to reality. Since this parallel path programming has never been done before, the Certifying agencies are being extremely cautious in exploring at every possible facet before approving this new engine tuning feature. Ironically – the innovative nature of this concept is resulting in the time consuming process of receiving an official certification. Certification of the TracKey is still anticipated by late summer, so no change in the official rollout. And the TrackKey rollout is not impeded in any way by any Ford patent pursuit. This is a certification paced issue only.

I expressed the widely held sentiment of rolling out a 49 state tune and let CARB certification come out at a later date, but the realities of a dual certification are just cost prohibitive and that is just not a viable option to pursue. The TracKey when issued will be a 50 state approved tune. The engineering mule had the TracKey logic in the engine Electronic Control Module (ECU) and invoking the track engine logic was impressive. Demonstrations always drew a large crowd of onlookers. Nice loopy idle and I did not detect any change in exhaust “smell” as some have offered up.

The engine induction system as well as the exhaust system all flow very well with very little flow losses. Thus (to me anyway) is would seem that forced induction (with an already high 11:1 compression ratio) or tubular headers are of little value for the cost/weight expenditure. Removing the sidepipe plates is worth a few more horsepower (less than 5), but certainly not a large gain of 10-12 hp as some have hoped. The 7,500 rpm engine redline has been set at this level for an engineering reason. In my experience “tuners” almost always move the limiter up at least a few hundred rpm (if not more) “just cause” they know there is more “power” at higher rpm and the factory is always conservative. The Original Engine (OE) manufacturer does have durability and life constraint targets which their products must possess when sold to the public. However, approaching redline, engine torque is definitely falling off faster than rpm can increase the horsepower output equation and so running the engine higher than 7,500 rpm just does not make sense. Stick with the OE recommended redline.

The ECU has sophisticated algorithms which use the two engine knock sensors to retard/advance spark timing based on fuel octane the owner puts in the tank. The advertised 444 hp is achieved on 91 octane fuel. For the black key, the engine is capable of running on 87 octane fuel. If premium fuel is supplied the ECU will advance spark to take advantage of the higher octane fuel and give more power output. For the TrackKey, the tune is designed to run 91 octane fuel and has the ability to increase spark beyond that – up to and including running on race (100+) octane. If by chance you happen to have a load of 87 octane fuel aboard and use the TracKey, the ECU will reduce spark (and power) to prevent detonation. The Ford party line is TracKey will not deliver the owner any more engine power than the black key with 91 octane fuel (444 hp). Since the TracKey program alters over 600 engine variables within its control, the “bottom end” torque curve very likely is altered to better match engine output to a road course track environment.
Several of my questions touched on engine technical aspects the representatives were unable to comment, which is fine. This engine pushes the state-of-the-art and the new dual-path ECU programming is being patented. My overall impression is the Boss team has certainly put in their Blood, Sweat and Tears into this program to give us owners one heck of a performance package. I can’t wait to try mine out on a nearby track!
Old 6/7/11, 09:17 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by P0 Corsa
I expressed the widely held sentiment of rolling out a 49 state tune and let CARB certification come out at a later date, but the realities of a dual certification are just cost prohibitive and that is just not a viable option to pursue. The TracKey when issued will be a 50 state approved tune.
Not to mention there are 16 other states that follow CARB certification.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-e...nomy/carb4.htm

Great write up and thanks for sharing.
Old 6/7/11, 09:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Why the heck is everyone talking about carbs? The BOSS is fuel-injected, you morons!!

Old 6/7/11, 09:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
Why the heck is everyone talking about carbs? The BOSS is fuel-injected, you morons!!

This :jester;
Old 6/7/11, 10:36 PM
Cobra R Member

So let the Americans wait. Give the Track Key programming to the Canadians already. We paid more so we expect more.
Old 6/7/11, 10:58 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
**** CARB and the 16 moronic states that use it. Give it to the rest of us, like Texas.
Old 6/7/11, 11:03 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 600 Likes on 431 Posts

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 6/7/11 at 11:05 PM.
Old 6/7/11, 11:31 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
**** CARB and the 16 moronic states that use it. Give it to the rest of us, like Texas.
Said the guy with no current use?
Old 6/7/11, 11:52 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Big Vito
Said the guy with no current use?
Maybe if they actually had it I'd buy something to use it on.

Or I might be looking out for my compadres.

Whichever may be the case, it doesn't change my previous opinion.
Old 6/8/11, 12:05 AM
Cobra R Member

Maybe if they actually had it I'd buy something to use it on.

Or I might be looking out for my compadres.

Whichever may be the case, it doesn't change my previous opinion.
Give them the money for multiple certifications and be done with it
Old 6/8/11, 12:14 AM
Post *****

If, and I mean if, they are truly waiting on CARB, it may be a long wait. And if they actually do satisfy the certification for it, who's to say it won't be watered down from what was originally intended.

To me it seems like an awesome idea that in the end will be either killed or diminished by "red tape".

I hope this won't be the case. Perhaps if they can just get the thing certified, then the aftermarket can take over and make "custom" tunes that would be more to our liking.
Old 6/8/11, 12:19 AM
Cobra R Member

If, and I mean if, they are truly waiting on CARB, it may be a long wait. And if they actually do satisfy the certification for it, who's to say it won't be watered down from what was originally intended.

To me it seems like an awesome idea that in the end will be either killed or diminished by "red tape".

I hope this won't be the case. Perhaps if they can just get the thing certified, then the aftermarket can take over and make "custom" tunes that would be more to our liking.
I agree with you, but I think it is already watered down.
Old 6/8/11, 06:28 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally the key changed over 600 parameters, then I read 400, then I read over 200. Yep, sounds watered down. The fact is I bought the Boss and paid top dollar because of track key. It's bad enough it was not available immediately after I got the car but now it may not be all that was promised. I love the car, I truly do. And I want Ford to do well, in fact I originally intended to get a Fiesta, Focus or maybe even a Flex to go with the Boss as my daily driver/winter beater. But after all I've experienced I frankly doubt I'll buy another Ford again.

First I place an order with my local dealer who knows nothing of the car.

A month and a half later he calls to say "good news" we are getting the car. And we're only going to charge you $15K over MRSP.

I want the car, the key and the whole experience so I call around all the dealerships and find one only asking 5K over MRSP. Not happy, but I put down the 5K deposit. To this dealers credit they keep me well in the loop from this point on even as the first dealer swings from accommodating to rude trying to keep my order.

Flash forward 5 long months of waiting and I've learned Canadian's with our better than par dollar are paying a full 10K extra for the cars MRSP. I think about canceling but don't want to lose 5K. Oh yeah, I also find out the track key is an extra cost accessory. Fortunately my dealer decides I've already paid for it. None the less with the crappy weather and the fact I still have a 65 Mustang to pull out of storage to free space and cash for the Boss it will be another month and a half before I can pay for and pick up the car.

Pick up the car. Still no track key. And on the drive home I notice a rattle behind the dash. A week later a drop of at the dealership revels nothing so an appointment is made for the following week at which point the car stays at the dealer 3 days while I pay for a rental. The problem? Loose fender and shock mounting bolts. I'm feeling less than confident about tracking this Boss. Oh yeah and no track key yet!

It better be all that and a bag of chips.

Rant over.
Old 6/8/11, 07:16 AM
Cobra Member

PO CORSA

Thanks for the excellent report-->
Old 6/8/11, 08:16 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Big time thanks P0. The only problem is it makes me that much more anxious since I won't have it at BIR next weekend
Old 6/8/11, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2
Flash forward 5 long months of waiting and I've learned Canadian's with our better than par dollar are paying a full 10K extra for the cars MRSP. I think about canceling but don't want to lose 5K. Oh yeah, I also find out the track key is an extra cost accessory.
TracKey was always going to be an after purchase accessory. While the exact cost was not known when you put your deposit down Ford never said it was going to be included with the car.

Last edited by 5 DOT 0; 6/8/11 at 08:29 AM.
Old 6/8/11, 08:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Steve, I can fully appreciate your frustration with your Boss buying experience. Many I am sure have had a similar rocky road to ownership and the loose fender/shock mounting bolts is equally unacceptable. I sincerely hope that your ownership experience swings to the plus side and you ultimately feel the car delivers "value" for your expenditure. Most postings of Boss track experiences are that the car delivers.

In my above report out, I was in fact speaking to "THE guy" responsible for the dual path programming logic in the track key. And as I stated at program launch, this "feature" was just a pipe dream, neat to have but have no idea how to make it happen. Oh, and as I stated, it was NOT part of the Boss development budget. All this was done by 4 dedicated individuals, off the clock and who would not be defeated by this challenge. I have no reason to believe, nor did our lengthy discussions of the various track key topics lead me to believe the design engineers have compromised in any of their performance goals. It was represented to me the ECU code still alters or modifies 600ish parameters when the track key logic is invoked.

It is my opinion the challenges the team faces in the certification process is not so much combustion emissions requirements, but more what happens when or if a certain branch in the dual path logic is mistakenly (if it can happen at all) invoked. As I stated, the novelty of this dual path control logic is both a blessing and a curse.

Perhaps the marketing department had a bit too much zeal in touting this new feature and they should not have been so strong on marketing this feature. Perhaps these marketing people did not realize or anticipate the laborious procedure necessary to achieve full certification. The engineers actually working the certification appreciated the enormity of this challenge and believed all along the key would not be ready when the Boss vehicle was initially released.

Again, I hope you will be patient. Understanding there is constant behind the scenes work being done to roll out this feature. And I hope you will be ultimately be pleased with this option and continue to favor Ford in future transportation purchases. (No I do not work for, nor am I associated with Ford).
Old 6/8/11, 08:25 AM

If, and I mean if, they are truly waiting on CARB, it may be a long wait.
Why do people still doubt this? Ford has been very consistent in their message and although the completion date for CARB certification has moved out the story has always been the same.

I think there's the potential for the lopey idle to be watered down but I doubt the on track performance will change much if at all. I like the lopey idle sound but let's face it that sound isn't going to improve performance.
Old 6/8/11, 08:36 AM
Cobra R Member

Let's assume it's available in August. No big deal if you live in California as you can drive all year round. But I'll be 2 months away from storage. Don't get me wrong, I love this car. But now I wish I'd waited for a 2013. Ah well, live and learn.
Old 6/8/11, 09:17 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
I like the lopey idle sound but let's face it that sound isn't going to improve performance.
This. If people are primarily interested in TracKey for the lopey idle, they've missed the point entirely.

Quick Reply: Some Interesting Trackey Info