Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

SCCA Autocross

Search this Thread

Old 3/18/11, 05:59 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SCCA Autocross

All of this talk about tracking the Boss is interesting and all, but let's get an autocross discussion going.

The Boss has been placed into B-stock for SCCA Solo (autocross) competition. The LS has been excluded from stock class. The primary competition in this class is the Honda S2000. The Boss really should have been an F-stock car, but the SCCA wanted to protect the current group of Shelby GT drivers to maintain good participation levels. That might have been the right thing to do, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

So, a few questions:

1) Is anyone planning to autocross their Boss? If so, will you take it beyond local events?

2) What are the wheel options for the Boss? Keep in mind that wheel diameter and width must be same as stock. Offset is ±1/4 inch from stock.

3) How do you think the Boss will do in B-stock? Looking at last year's National results, the B-Stock winner (S2000) was 3 seconds faster per course than the F-Stock winner (2011 Mustang GT driven by superman Strano).
Old 3/18/11, 07:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Auto X ing The Boss

I have autocrossed my current Mustang for the Past 2 years, so I thought I'd autocross with the Boss. Current Mustang is a Convertible and I have not added a roll bar so I have not been able to track it. I am assuming I will autocross less with the addition of Track time. The S2000 is pretty quick and nimble. You have to keep the RPM's up though, to get any appreciable tourque. Sounds like our Boss' will have a pretty solid power curve. I have seen average S2000 drivers vacillate between the top end of first gear and second gear and hurt their time. The S2000 is about 11.66 lbs for each HP the Boss is about 8.17 lbs for each horse, and that is without the trackey. The Torsen Diff will help also. On paper it looks OK. My experience has been more tracks are set up to the advantage of the quick/nimble, and light rather than the big and powerful. It will be interesting

Last edited by Bossdog; 3/18/11 at 08:02 PM.
Old 3/18/11, 09:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

I agree
Old 3/19/11, 06:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I plan on it, although mostly just for fun. My focus will be NASA TT mostly, and that is what I'm building the car for. For AutoX, I'll run in whatever class that lands me in :-)

For those interested BTW, I have formally requested classification for the BOSS from NASA, and am in "negotiations" at present. If you are interested in TTs, I will let everyone know how how it goes down once the base classification shakes out. PS - less magazine reviews with the Boss beating R8s on the track would probably help here LOL...