2012-2013 BOSS 302

The Reason for HUGE ADMs...

Search this Thread

Old 2/19/11, 10:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Reason for HUGE ADMs...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...#ht_500wt_1182

at the time of posting the current bid(after 32 bids) is 16.6k over MSRP with 2 whole days left on the auction and the reserve is not yet met.

Sure it's the LS model, but really? Spend 70k on the LS, you're better of just buying the 302S model. And I hate to say it but from a dealers standpoint if you can do things like this and have people pay that much over sticker and put 20k in your pocket why wouldn't you? Sure you'll have the people who get turned off by this and won't shop at your dealership again, but it's now proven that you have the idiots who will still pay these insane amounts over sticker so you should at least still have some business
Old 2/19/11, 10:43 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Nccstud
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...#ht_500wt_1182

at the time of posting the current bid(after 32 bids) is 16.6k over MSRP with 2 whole days left on the auction and the reserve is not yet met.

Sure it's the LS model, but really? Spend 70k on the LS, you're better of just buying the 302S model. And I hate to say it but from a dealers standpoint if you can do things like this and have people pay that much over sticker and put 20k in your pocket why wouldn't you? Sure you'll have the people who get turned off by this and won't shop at your dealership again, but it's now proven that you have the idiots who will still pay these insane amounts over sticker so you should at least still have some business
Reserve is not met at this price! You gotta be kidding me
Old 2/19/11, 11:06 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

While there was plenty of interest before I think the $450,000 for the LS at BJ didn't help any. I had a local dealer quote me $25K over MSRP on a Boss four weeks ago before the BJ auction. I've actually had three orders with deposits on a Boss. I canceled my first after they added a $5K ADM and canceled the second after the GM refused to input my order from the sales manager (whom I was dealing with directly) because he wants to sell the cars off the lot and not take orders (read wants to see how much over MSRP he can get). My third order looks solid and I have it in writing (like I did the second time) at MSRP. This is a small dealer and the owner approved selling me their only allocation at MSRP. Fortunately I placed my deposit two days before the BJ auction.

Last November I was trying to place a deposit with the dealer closest to my home. After the sales manager agreed to take my deposit I showed up and the GM refused to take my deposit and said "I don't know how much markup there will be on the car, for all I know it could be $100,000". Needless to say they won't be getting any of my business ever. I suspect there will be more dealers trying to weasel out of agreed upon deals.

Last edited by 5 DOT 0; 2/19/11 at 11:10 AM.
Old 2/19/11, 11:29 AM
Cobra R Member

Maybe those bidding don't realize that is the mark up only
Old 2/19/11, 11:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Big Vito
Maybe those bidding don't realize that is the mark up only
Maybe they don't, but it does clearly state: "The Bid price here represents the total dollar amount you agree to pay dealer OVER MSRP. "
Old 2/19/11, 11:40 AM
Cobra R Member

Some people don't read or the dealer is bidding themselves
Old 2/19/11, 11:40 AM
DFV
Bullitt Member

Disgusting is what it is. This is no way to do business.
Old 2/19/11, 11:49 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe the people bidding do not know it is over sticker

These people working at the dealer would be the first to stand up and scream murder if they stopped at the supermarket on the way home from a hard day of ripping people off and the store manager told them they only have three gallons of milk left so it is $10 a gallon. If a hurricane passes thought here and many people need new roofs should I pay double the cost of lumber at home depot, no there are laws against that.

I almost paid 1K over for a Boss when it first came out since I thought the dealers by me were wanting 5K over. I am glad mine decided to be honest and knowing what I know now I will never pay over for a car again. This is the first time I have ever order a specialty car.

I have always driven Fords and like the product. MSRP is just that, what the company thinks is the fair price, no one else can get away with this crap so why is it car dealers can. I guess because people will pay, so off my rant now.
Old 2/19/11, 11:57 AM
Cobra Member

You people crying look at any specialty car on the used market. There are a lot more private sellers that ask too much for a car than there are dealer with ADM's.

Did you pay MSRP for your F-150, Focus, Taurus, etc? It is much more likely that you paid substantially less.

MSRP is indeed just that, SUGGESTED. The price is negotiable by both the buyer and the seller. If no one pays the ADM they will eventually go away, a la GT500.
Old 2/19/11, 12:02 PM
Cobra R Member

So you are fine with paying ADM's at the super market if they are low on stock? They too have sales but no mark ups.
Old 2/19/11, 12:08 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
So you are fine with paying ADM's at the super market if they are low on stock? They too have sales but no mark ups.

To answer your question directly, no; but then I have the option to go to another supermarket and ultimately purchase a different product.

We're not talking about a head of lettuce here. Look at real estate. There are plenty of ignorant sellers whose home is priced well above market. It will stay on the market until someone wants it bad enough or until the seller gets tired of sitting on it.
Old 2/19/11, 12:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The ADM issue is always a sensitive one. I remember it all too well on the GT500! After Year 1 I paid $7500 over versus many who paid $25k over. I could have waited another 2 years and got one at MSRP, but I would have missed two years of fun.

There is no good way to clear the market other than simple supply and demand. If someone is willing to pay $5k more than you, do you deserve it more just because you want it at MSRP? That might sound harsh but I'd love to hear how you will decide who gets the limited number of cars when the number of buyers at MSRP exceeds the number of cars built.

This time around, I was fortunate to get my dealer to sell me their only allocation at MSRP since I've purchased 10 Fords in the last few years. I also service my fleet at their dealership. They've always sold their limited editions at MSRP to reward good customers. There's economic sense in that.

The comparison to essential needs like food, water and fuel is a bit marginal considering we are talking about a non-essential toy. Not trying to be contentious, but I think you can see that owning a Boss is not a matter of life and death
Old 2/19/11, 12:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Yea but (and this is no where near a pissin match, here for fun and getting the Boss soon so I'm happy ) the difference in old classics and property is that they are not manufactured with a price that makes the company enough money, the shipper enough money, the dealer enough money and so-on. If they did not think that is enough, why not set the price higher. Ripping people off is not what this country is (was) based on. You can say what you want about Henry (unions) but I doubt he would be happy to see that auction.

For those that think this is not what our country (or Canada) is all about, spend some time outside of here. Getting products like a kitchen appliance with warranty and finding out it does not work when you set home. Take it back and they say they never saw you before. There is a reason why they are third world countries. I am not saying asking over for a new car will turn us into the third world but the greed really keeps them down, look what it did here the last few years.

Car dealers and airlines have one thing in common, with exceptions, no customer loyalty and the airlines wonder why they lose billions. Southwest is the only company that does not try to screw their best customers and look they are making money! Don't rip off your best customer once for a few dollars and you can have a good customer for life, I will never understand why the airlines and others don't get that.

I for one will continue to solicit a business that treats me right.

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 2/19/11 at 12:43 PM.
Old 2/19/11, 12:51 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea but (and this is no where near a pissin match, here for fun and getting the Boss soon so I'm happy ) the difference in old classics and property is that they are not manufactured with a price that makes the company enough money, the shipper enough money, the dealer enough money and so-on. If they did not think that is enough, why not set the price higher. Ripping people off is not what this country is (was) based on. You can say what you want about Henry (unions) but I doubt he would be happy to see that auction.

For those that think this is not what our country (or Canada) is all about, spend some time outside of here. Getting products like a kitchen appliance with warranty and finding out it does not work when you set home. Take it back and they say they never saw you before. There is a reason why they are third world countries. I am not saying asking over for a new car will turn us into the third world but the greed really keeps them down, look what it did here the last few years.

Car dealers and airlines have one thing in common, with exceptions, no customer loyalty and the airlines wonder why they lose billions. Southwest is the only company that does not try to screw their best customers and look they are making money! Don't rip off your best customer once for a few dollars and you can have a good customer for life, I will never understand why the airlines and others don't get that.

Ok, but it still requires an answer to this question:

There are two buyers and one Boss. One buyer wants to pay MSRP and no more. The other buyer wants to pay MSRP, but to have the Boss now rather than later this year or next year is willing to pay $5k over. Which one gets to buy the one Boss and why?
Cobra R Member

Now I'm thirsty
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
The ADM issue is always a sensitive one.
Quote of the day

There is no good way to clear the market other than simple supply and demand. If someone is willing to pay $5k more than you, do you deserve it more just because you want it at MSRP? That might sound harsh but I'd love to hear how you will decide who gets the limited number of cars when the number of buyers at MSRP exceeds the number of cars built.
Who gets the last generator when a hurricane in coming, first come first serve I believe.

If I am going to sell a 70 Boss, guy a shows up and gives me a deposit for my asking price. Guy B comes along and and says he will give me more so I take it. I sure most people would have very choice words about me. I may be a lot of things but I would never personally do that, my word is more important to me that money.
Old 2/19/11, 01:25 PM
Cobra Member

It's also about supply and demand! We have limited supply of the Boss, especially the LS. Then we have all of us wanting one and the dealer see's $$$$$$
Old 2/19/11, 01:26 PM
Cobra Member

The ADM issue is always a sensitive one. I remember it all too well on the GT500! After Year 1 I paid $7500 over versus many who paid $25k over. I could have waited another 2 years and got one at MSRP, but I would have missed two years of fun.

This time around, I was fortunate to get my dealer to sell me their only allocation at MSRP since I've purchased 10 Fords in the last few years. I also service my fleet at their dealership. They've always sold their limited editions at MSRP to reward good customers. There's economic sense in that.

The comparison to essential needs like food, water and fuel is a bit marginal considering we are talking about a non-essential toy. Not trying to be contentious, but I think you can see that owning a Boss is not a matter of life and death
Excellent post.

FWIW we have a Q4 LS that we are ASKING $5k over, but if we had a previous local customer we would likely sell it for MSRP.

With regards to property, how much makes the owner enough money? If the average home in your neighborhood is $100/sqft and you are asking $120, how is that different?

Remember when PS3's first came out? PEOPLE (not car dealers) were buying them at the stores (first come first served) and then turning around and selling them on ebay, Craigs List, etc at MARKED UP PRICES.

There's no natural disaster, no one is starving.

Dealerships aren't losing billions

Quote of the day

Who gets the last generator when a hurricane in coming, first come first serve I believe.

If I am going to sell a 70 Boss, guy a shows up and gives me a deposit for my asking price. Guy B comes along and and says he will give me more so I take it. I sure most people would have very choice words about me. I may be a lot of things but I would never personally do that, my word is more important to me that money.
You are in the minority. What if guy A comes back and says he couldn't come up with all the money and guy B is now out of the market because he found another car?
Old 2/19/11, 01:36 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Nccstud
And I hate to say it but from a dealers standpoint if you can do things like this and have people pay that much over sticker and put 20k in your pocket why wouldn't you?
Because it is unethical.

In sales you have sales professionals and you have sales hacks. Unfortunately, too many auto consumers are unsuspecting and get screwed by the hacks. Whereas a professional would earn their commission by making a profit for their company and treating the consumer like they themselves would want to be treated.

Selling stuff at 'what the market will bear' has earned the auto sales industry the reputation they deserve. Sadly, that stench pours over the salespeople of integrity too.

Yes and that's why there are now anti-gouging laws.

MSRP is just that, what the company thinks is the fair price, no one else can get away with this crap so why is it car dealers can.
EXACTLY. The manufacturer has determined the price so that every one makes a fair profit. In every other industry, msrp is typically the highest. Another company may run a sale to reduce that so they can move more volume, reduce inventory, or many other reasons. Only the new car hacks play the 'screw the consumer for all we can milk out of them!'.

After 30 years in sales, there's not one customer I would shy away from saying hi to if I saw them at a store or somewhere. But after screwing a customer with an outrageous ADM, how many car hacks would walk up to that customer a few months or years later.

Ok, but it still requires an answer to this question:

There are two buyers and one Boss. One buyer wants to pay MSRP and no more. The other buyer wants to pay MSRP, but to have the Boss now rather than later this year or next year is willing to pay $5k over. Which one gets to buy the one Boss and why?
First come first served. Not who comes up with a bigger checkbook after the first customer walked in the door, placed the order, and committed to the agreement. A business makes its real money on long term sales - volume & repeat sales. Not by gouging the unsuspected for a one shot deal.

Last edited by cdynaco; 2/19/11 at 02:07 PM.
Old 2/19/11, 01:39 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Because it is unethical.
We're talking auto sales here. A business that does NOT have the best reputation in the world.

Quick Reply: The Reason for HUGE ADMs...