Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

random code miss fire

Search this Thread

Old 4/30/12, 05:35 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
random code miss fire

Last fall I had random code miss fire codes apear after track use and was told it would go away with the installation of the track key. Well I went to the track over the week end and the code appeared twice. ,after track key installation .Deyasha what do I do next ? How have you other guys solved the problem. I am going to the Glen and would like to get this resolved. Thanks, Jim
Old 4/30/12, 05:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is re-flash for this. I think it is called a crank sensor relearn. My dealer performed the relearn after he installed track key.
Old 4/30/12, 09:18 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I had another PO300 yesterday this time with TK. I'm going to contact my local dealer and see about getting the crank sensor realign performed. Not sure what's causing it as I'm not banging the curbs too hard but I do hit the rev limiter frequently.
Old 4/30/12, 04:10 PM
GT Member

I just found out from Ford that there are new "customer instructions " .It is v1.3 my instructions I received w/the track key is v1.0. The new sheet explains the relearn proceedue. You can download the new instructions from their web site. I will try the relearn tomorrow and see if it works in a couple of week when I go to Watkins Glen.
Old 4/30/12, 05:17 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jim woodruff
I just found out from Ford that there are new "customer instructions " .It is v1.3 my instructions I received w/the track key is v1.0. The new sheet explains the relearn proceedue. You can download the new instructions from their web site. I will try the relearn tomorrow and see if it works in a couple of week when I go to Watkins Glen.
It works
Old 4/30/12, 07:14 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss

It works
Yep I haven't had one since it was done on mine.
Old 4/30/12, 08:20 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Are you referring to this:

"What if the " TRACKEY IDLE / ENGINE ENABLED" message is displayed but the idle is not very lopey?
• First, verify that the engine oil level is correct. Make sure to use only 5W50 oil, as cam control can vary dependent on oil viscosity. Secondly, turn off all accessories such as air conditioning, rear window defrost, etc. If the idle still isn't lopey, the PCM may need to relearn the zero (or "home") position of the cams. To facilitate this learning process, shut the engine off, restart the engine using V1.3 6 IS-1850-0237-3
the black (non-Track) key and let the engine idle for 5 minutes with the vehicle stationary. Do not touch the accelerator pedal during this time. Once the zero position is learned, it should not need to be relearned unless the battery is disconnected or the PCM is reflashed."

Scott and Gary is this what they did to your cars? I was under the impression is was something different from this.
Old 4/30/12, 08:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0

"What if the " TRACKEY IDLE / ENGINE ENABLED" message is displayed but the idle is not very lopey?
• First, verify that the engine oil level is correct. Make sure to use only 5W50 oil, as cam control can vary dependent on oil viscosity. Secondly, turn off all accessories such as air conditioning, rear window defrost, etc. If the idle still isn't lopey, the PCM may need to relearn the zero (or "home") position of the cams. To facilitate this learning process, shut the engine off, restart the engine using V1.3 6 IS-1850-0237-3
the black (non-Track) key and let the engine idle for 5 minutes with the vehicle stationary. Do not touch the accelerator pedal during this time. Once the zero position is learned, it should not need to be relearned unless the battery is disconnected or the PCM is reflashed."

Scott and Gary is this what they did to your cars? I was under the impression is was something different from this.
No I took mine in last fall before this was released. I don't think it's the same thing as the procedure they performed on mine was a CRANKSHAFT sensor relearn, not the camshafts.
Old 4/30/12, 08:42 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0

No, it was a quick re-flash with a hand-held tuner through the OBD port. The lopey idle will not work if codes are present but that was not the problem. After having Trackey installed I was getting P0300's and limp mode, so I had the relearn done. When I threw the P0022 codes the P0300 codes returned and I had it done a second time but was unsure if it was really needed.

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 5/1/12 at 11:26 AM.
Old 4/30/12, 11:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Last fall I had random code miss fire codes apear after track use and was told it would go away with the installation of the track key. Well I went to the track over the week end and the code appeared twice. ,after track key installation .Deyasha what do I do next ? How have you other guys solved the problem. I am going to the Glen and would like to get this resolved. Thanks, Jim
I started getting the misfire code/MIL and took it to the dealer. They wanted to flash the PCM before replacing O2 sensors and that pretty much did the trick. I did get the code once more at the track in Vegas but I cleared it and it hasn't come back after more than 1000 miles.
Old 5/14/12, 05:10 AM
GT Member

well I am back from the Glen and I still the Random Code Miss fire ( code p300 ).I left nit in this time for the dealer. The re-learn did not work. I will call Ford this moring for the next step. Any suggestions would help if you have solved this problem.
Old 5/14/12, 05:48 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

well I am back from the Glen and I still the Random Code Miss fire ( code p300 ).I left nit in this time for the dealer. The re-learn did not work. I will call Ford this moring for the next step. Any suggestions would help if you have solved this problem.
Jim,

Did you have the DEALER perform the crankshaft sensor relearn or did you just perform the relearn process for TracKey lopey idle yourself as described above?

I have 5 track days since having it performed and haven't gotten a single code. I was getting a misfire code roughly every other session before that.

Last edited by cloud9; 5/14/12 at 06:24 AM.
Old 5/14/12, 11:27 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
Jim,

Did you have the DEALER perform the crankshaft sensor relearn or did you just perform the relearn process for TracKey lopey idle yourself as described above?

I have 5 track days since having it performed and haven't gotten a single code. I was getting a misfire code roughly every other session before that.
Yep, check that because the re-learn really works.
Old 5/14/12, 11:27 AM
GT Member

I talked to Ford this am and they sent the info to me to give to the sevice tech. The car is at the dealer. I hope to get it back in a couple of days. I will have a chance to test it a Mid- Ohio at the 26th and 27 of may.
Old 5/15/12, 01:38 PM
GT Member

I have the car back and the Ford tech. gave me all the paper work and print outs of what was done and how. He explained that I could not get into the computer area that needed to be fixed and all I was doing was pissing into the wind. He gave me before and after print outs. It has re-learned and I have too. Just take it to the dealer and ask for before and after print outs. Thanks, Jim
Old 5/15/12, 03:17 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Glad you got it fixed Jim and hope you have a great time at Mid-Ohio. I'm back on track that weekend also, but at MPH.
Old 5/27/12, 12:08 PM
GT Member

Home from Mid- Ohio temps. in mid 90's . No code issues what so ever. No over heating issues since I took the info. from Jimmy 's thread on drilling out the grill fog lamps and grill inserts. Still working on the proper camber set up. One thing at a time.
Old 5/27/12, 05:22 PM
GT Member

gave me all the paper work and print outs of what was done and how.
That would be cool to see. Any chance you could scan these and post?
Old 5/28/12, 04:51 AM
GT Member

They are all posted on jimmy;s thead and it is fun to read. The process works.
Old 6/6/12, 08:24 PM
V6 Member

They are all posted on jimmy;s thead and it is fun to read. The process works.
Jim, I cannot find these procedures in Jimmy's thread. Please let me know where they are in the thread. I plan to take the car in in a day or so and would like to have the procedures in hand (or a TSB number) just to speed things along.
Thanks.

Quick Reply: random code miss fire