Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Noises, rattles, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 6/2/11, 11:28 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss

The adjustment band is tacked on the pipe for some reason, that leaves the bolt head in a bad place, you need at least 3/8 inch clearance between the bolt head and the floor. I found if not adjusted correctly it would rattle against the floor under hard acceleration and hard left turns. If you can't get the clearance from normal adjustment loosen the bolt on the band and you can twist the pipe around some to gain more clearance without having the whole assembly hanging too low.
Thanks Scott, this gives me something to do tomorrow
Old 6/3/11, 09:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by bones302
I had a very loud thumping noise coming from the trunk for days until I finally let her out...
What up SLim SHady?
Old 6/3/11, 09:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by phytrpilot
The only noise/rattle I have is from me remounting the left side exhaust after taking the disks out. Put the side pipe too close to the floor pan. There is a lot of play in the bolt holes for the side pipes allowing for max adjustment.
Yep, did the same thing. I was beginning to think that I was the only one dingy enough to do that but it appears there are a few more.
Old 6/3/11, 12:50 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by BOSS_man
What up SLim SHady?
Specifically, he would be Stan
Old 6/3/11, 10:33 PM
Cobra Member

Ive noticed when driving with the stereo turned all the way down or even off i get some feedback in the speakers. i also think i can hear the rear diff whine a bit at speed. never having owned a car with a torsen, i chalked that up to normal. it's not that loud and if you are talking or have the radio at any level you cant hear it. anyone else noted this?
Old 6/3/11, 10:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
Ive noticed when driving with the stereo turned all the way down or even off i get some feedback in the speakers. i also think i can hear the rear diff whine a bit at speed. never having owned a car with a torsen, i chalked that up to normal. it's not that loud and if you are talking or have the radio at any level you cant hear it. anyone else noted this?
You actually use the radio?
Old 6/4/11, 09:35 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny answer, but true. I never use the radio in this car.
Old 6/4/11, 11:17 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Big Vito
You actually use the radio?
i generally put highway to hell on repeat, but my kids love the local pop station
Old 6/6/11, 08:26 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Hi ShaneM,

I recommend you contact your Ford dealer as soon as possible to get these issues diagnosed and make sure there is nothing wrong. Also, please message me with your dealer, mileage, VIN, and contact info so I can escalate this for you.

Deysha
Old 6/6/11, 09:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Dean#4AI
Yep, did the same thing. I was beginning to think that I was the only one dingy enough to do that but it appears there are a few more.
Add me to the list. Now I make sure I can fit a finger between the pipe and the floor the whole length of the pipe before lowering the car.

I've have also noticed a quit gear wine while cursing with very light throttle. Is this normal, or do I need to have it looked at?
Old 6/6/11, 11:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MJockey
while cursing with very light throttle. Is this normal, or do I need to have it looked at?
It's very normal. I curse a lot too if I can only use very light throttle.
Old 6/6/11, 11:48 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Dean#4AI

It's very normal. I curse a lot too if I can only use very light throttle.
Old 6/6/11, 03:28 PM
Cobra Member

Add me to the list. Now I make sure I can fit a finger between the pipe and the floor the whole length of the pipe before lowering the car.

I've have also noticed a quit gear wine while cursing with very light throttle. Is this normal, or do I need to have it looked at?
interesting, that i basically what i hear, but with the car in 6th at highway speeds i can hear it as well.
Old 6/6/11, 05:01 PM
Bullitt Member

interesting, that i basically what i hear, but with the car in 6th at highway speeds i can hear it as well.
That's when I hear it. I don't think it's anything to be concerned about.
Old 6/6/11, 06:08 PM
Cobra Member

That's when I hear it. I don't think it's anything to be concerned about.
yeah like i said early on, i chalked it up to normal for the all gear torsen. i pulled my new aug issue of 5.0 out of the mailbox today and it has a huge tech story with loads of pics and cut up parts to see. the torsen cut out is very cool to see. i had no idea what one looked like on the inside.
Old 6/6/11, 08:17 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You actually do not need that much clearance, about 3/8 is enough. My right side pipe was not adjusted correctly from the factory and hung down low. I need them to be as far up as possible for the trailer but if that is not an issue you can have more clearance like MJockey used. The closest piece to the floor is the bolt on the adjustment band and I would assume that is where 99 percent of the rattles we are getting come from.

While at Sebring there was a red Boss that had the discs removed, they installed it back very close to the front wheel splash guard thingy and it melted it so be careful
Old 6/6/11, 08:42 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
While at Sebring there was a red Boss that had the discs removed, they installed it back very close to the front wheel splash guard thingy and it melted it so be careful
The rear wheel correct? Doesn't the track prep instructions suggest removing those guards?
Old 6/6/11, 08:53 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
The rear wheel correct? Doesn't the track prep instructions suggest removing those guards?
Yea that should have read the rear wheel but the front guard thing. There is nothing anywhere about removing them, so far I have no plans to do so, I did remove all the dust shields.
Old 6/7/11, 04:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dust shields? Please explain.
Old 6/7/11, 04:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2
Dust shields? Please explain.
I think the shield something do to the brake dust. I'm probably wrong

Quick Reply: Noises, rattles, etc.