Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

New Homemade Splitter

Search this Thread

Old 9/3/11, 07:19 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
New Homemade Splitter

Was going to put the duct kit on today and since I was at it thought I would make the splitter today. Ended up costing me most of the day so I will need to finish up tomorrow. Added only one inch more then the existing splitter so I was thinking I would not need the supports for that small amount. I did not take into account the Boss has nothing in the middle and that is where the support is needed. Now it looks like I have to order a set of the supports.
I may tone back the sides just a little bit, around a quarter inch more from where the side corners are.
Started with a big sheet

did a rough cut

Just a quick mount

Old 9/3/11, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks pretty good. According to the Ford Engineers at Mustang Alley, their biggest gain with the splitter was achieved by making it about 1.5" closer to the ground. Not very practical for the street, but huge gains on the track.
Old 9/3/11, 07:41 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Luckymotorsports
Looks pretty good. According to the Ford Engineers at Mustang Alley, their biggest gain with the splitter was achieved by making it about 1.5" closer to the ground. Not very practical for the street, but huge gains on the track.
Yea not to mention trailer-friendly I may look at doing this in the future.
Old 9/3/11, 07:44 PM
V6 Member

Nicely done - Definitely does not look like a Sanford and Son splitter! As you mention, supports will probably be needed to prevent deflection. You may want to look at some pictures of your car at speed on the track to be sure the splitter does not look rippled or wavy. Do you have the LS rear spoiler to balance the downforce?
Old 9/3/11, 08:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Bueller
Nicely done - Definitely does not look like a Sanford and Son splitter! As you mention, supports will probably be needed to prevent deflection. You may want to look at some pictures of your car at speed on the track to be sure the splitter does not look rippled or wavy. Do you have the LS rear spoiler to balance the downforce?
I have the LS wing but not the Ford one, a knock off. That was one of the first things I did even if it was more for looks at the time.
Old 9/3/11, 08:06 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss

I have the LS wing but not the Ford one, a knock off. That was one of the first things I did even if it was more for looks at the time.
Isn't that sacrilegious?

Last edited by 11SHELBYGT500; 9/3/11 at 08:08 PM.
Old 9/3/11, 08:13 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
Isn't that sacrilegious?
If I had to do it over again I would get the Ford wing. The shape of the wing and construction are OK but the way it mounts was a PITA. I wrote about it in the thread "New Wing"
Old 9/3/11, 08:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seriously talented.
Old 9/4/11, 04:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What did you use for your materials and where did you source it from? Looks pretty darned good from what I can tell. Great job!
Old 9/4/11, 07:42 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Did they say the Boss or LS splitter? I was told lowering the Boss splitter 1" had a similar gain as adding the LS splitter at the stock height. It would be nice if someone could make a 1" spacer as I'd rather go that route than add the LS splitter. It would probably be a lot less expensive too. Also if you are using 18" track wheels your front will be lowered a bit which should also increase the effectiveness of the splitter.
Old 9/4/11, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Did they say the Boss or LS splitter? I was told lowering the Boss splitter 1" had a similar gain as adding the LS splitter at the stock height. It would be nice if someone could make a 1" spacer as I'd rather go that route than add the LS splitter. It would probably be a lot less expensive too. Also if you are using 18" track wheels your front will be lowered a bit which should also increase the effectiveness of the splitter.
We were next to either a 302S or 302R race car used in Grand Am/World Challenge; I can't remember which one, but I'm pretty sure it had the LS splitter. They said they could extend the LS splitter another 3 feet in front of the car and it wouldn't make a difference. But lowering it as far as the rules allowed did.
Old 9/4/11, 12:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2
Seriously talented.
Not really, if you have the right tools it would be quite easy. I was still able to cut it with rudimentary tools in the garage.

My friend bought the material to make one for the LS he has coming this quarter, I will get the info on that.

Lowering the splitter is something I need to look into, the main problem will be hardware for mounting it. I also need to see how it will work with loading the car, while I don't have a problem with the new trailer I do not want to create one. In any case this splitter will add some nice benefits, the added section in the middle and the smooth underside for a better airflow, the Boss splitter has all kinds of bumps and ridges under it.

Running the 18's lowers me at least 1/4 inch so if I could go another half that would be good enough for me.

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 9/4/11 at 08:30 PM.
Old 9/4/11, 02:20 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

We were next to either a 302S or 302R race car used in Grand Am/World Challenge; I can't remember which one, but I'm pretty sure it had the LS splitter. They said they could extend the LS splitter another 3 feet in front of the car and it wouldn't make a difference. But lowering it as far as the rules allowed did.
That would have been a 302S as the 302R's that run in Grand Am do not use any front splitter.
Old 9/4/11, 08:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by ulev1st
What did you use for your materials and where did you source it from? Looks pretty darned good from what I can tell. Great job!
It is just quarter inch ABS.

Here is another picture, did a little more cutting and grinding to even out the sides and front. It is pretty close now.

Old 9/4/11, 08:15 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great job. Looks very good!!
Old 9/5/11, 09:27 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Good upgrade to the already best looking Boss.

Do you expect an improvement on its air flow?
Old 9/5/11, 01:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Looks great Scott!
Old 9/5/11, 03:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 1 COBRA
Good upgrade to the already best looking Boss.

Do you expect an improvement on its air flow?
Since I have the LS spoiler that adds downforce to the rear this should help balance the front out. Two big gains I see right away are the smooth bottom for better air flow (the better the flow the lower the pressure). If you look at the pics of the original it is anything but smooth. Second is the middle section added with this one, the Boss splitter does not have that.

I added an inch all around but then shaved off between an eight to a quarter during finishing touches. I hope that is not too much since I was told a half inch would be sufficient.There are a few track days I am planning to hit, should know more soon.

Originally Posted by phytrpilot
Looks great Scott!
Thanks Charlie
Old 9/5/11, 05:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow, looks cool!
Side exhaust plates, now a splitter?
Old 9/6/11, 08:33 PM
Cobra R Member

Finished up the splitter today. Seems fairly solid and I may run it Sunday but would like to get the struts. Problem is they do not sell them without buying the whole splitter. You can only get the bracket for the bumper separate.

I did re-enforce this by using bolts and nuts in place of all the push-pins, except two spots, picture 2093 circled in green. On that same picture circled in yellow. I was able to use bolts and the backing clips that slide into place (same type use on the original bolts) on each far end circled in yellow on pic 2093 since they were close to the edge. I also think it would be better to trim the plastic edge off the inside piece, I see no need for that to be hanging down.

I added several extra bolts and nuts, picture 2090 and 2092 in yellow and added one extra push-pin circled in green (ran out of bolts). This really helped make it more solid. The only worry I have without the struts would be the entire plastic bumper flexing downward. However there is not a lot of play downward, there is more flex upward.

After making several calls looking for the struts I ended up back at Miller and they had struts used on the FR500S. I ordered a set from them but not cheap $140 and that does not include the bumper bracket. They said the are a little different then the LS package struts so I will have to see if they fit when the arrive.

Few more pics

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 9/6/11 at 08:37 PM.

Quick Reply: New Homemade Splitter