2012-2013 BOSS 302

New Boss Owner

Search this Thread

Old 5/2/12, 01:12 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Boss Owner

Hey everyone,

I just got my 2012 CO Boss 302 a week ago and just passed 1k miles this morning...put those on quick. I am wondering what everyone is doing as far as mods go, and I am concerned about losing the extended warranty I paid for.

I only want to do minor mods such as an intake, tune, and full exhaust with longtubes which will hopefully put me around 450whp. Does anyone know if Ford will void a warranty due to exhaust/intake modifications? I am pretty sure that they cannot because they have to prove that the aftermarket parts are what caused the failure but once you throw a tune on there all bets are off.

Basically, I want to make the most power I can while still maintaining the factory warranty. I have been debating getting a Procharger installed by a licensed installer which will come with the 36,000 mile warranty but I am not looking for that much power.

Even if I decide to leave it bone stock this car will put a smile on my face every time I drive it!
Old 5/2/12, 01:47 PM
GT Member

Old 5/2/12, 01:53 PM
Cobra Member

Lets cut the guy some slack and not bash on him about the warranty he is new and just wants to find out some info.

Welcome to the site and congrats on your new boss. Post some pictures up of the ride

To answer your questions tunes are a touchy subject here. Ultimately what is comes down to if your engine blows for any reason depending on the dealer they have grounds to say its the tune fault IF that is the cause. The 2 most reputable tuners around are American Muscle (Bama) and Steeda. There are plenty of threads you can search as well for more info. I would recommend you read up to get a much better understanding on the tuning world. Enjoy your car man!
Old 5/2/12, 01:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Not sure about the other mods you mentioned but a tune is a definite no no. Even Fords own Trackey affects the warranty, standard as well as ESP.
Old 5/2/12, 02:03 PM
Banned

My other car is a 1990 GT with a Vortech pushing 15psi which I built entirely by myself since the young age of 16...I am now 23.

I know my way around cars...I am not some yuppie who felt like going out and getting a "cool" special edition Mustang.

This is just my first time owning a car with a warranty and I am looking for some insight as to whether or not I should consider lightly modding my new DD.

That is all.

As far as the Trackey goes I keep getting conflicting answers on how it affects the warranty...so what is the truth here?

Last edited by DRock9; 5/2/12 at 02:05 PM.
Old 5/2/12, 02:13 PM
Cobra Member

Welcome aboard

Originally Posted by DRock9
Hey everyone,

I just got my 2012 CO Boss 302 a week ago and just passed 1k miles this morning...put those on quick. I am wondering what everyone is doing as far as mods go, and I am concerned about losing the extended warranty I paid for.

I only want to do minor mods such as an intake, tune, and full exhaust with longtubes which will hopefully put me around 450whp. Does anyone know if Ford will void a warranty due to exhaust/intake modifications? I am pretty sure that they cannot because they have to prove that the aftermarket parts are what caused the failure but once you throw a tune on there all bets are off.

Basically, I want to make the most power I can while still maintaining the factory warranty. I have been debating getting a Procharger installed by a licensed installer which will come with the 36,000 mile warranty but I am not looking for that much power.

Even if I decide to leave it bone stock this car will put a smile on my face every time I drive it!
While it wont add horsepower, a lot of Boss owners are installing MGW shifter to replace the stock one. Ford didn't leave a lot of HP on the table with the Boss as the motor and exhaust as is flows quite well. Only when running full long tube headers and cat-less open exhaust have show big gains w/o a tune. Headers and cats w/o tune show about half the increase of the open pipes. Check out the kooks thread on this forum, lots of discussion and data there.

I was gung ho for investing the money in a full exhaust as I did not want an after market tune, until I realized that looking at the numbers with the 'catted' exhaust that it just wasn't worth the investment for the performance gain. I'm sure it will sound great, but if a fully installed system with ceramic coated headers runs between $2500-3000, I'll pass for now. I can upgrade just the mufflers for a few extra HP and better sound for 500-700$ max.

For me, an MGW, aluminum driveshaft, and upgraded stereo system (keeping stock head unit but upgrading speakers and adding amp) are the first things I will do with mine. Good luck with your mods, and welcome to the club.
Old 5/2/12, 02:17 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Does Roush offer a supercharger kit for the Boss? Don't see why they wouldn't if they offer one for the GT which is not a forged engine. The Roush kits retain warranty if installed by an authorized dealer.
Old 5/2/12, 02:25 PM
JPC
Bullitt Member

I purchased a JLT CAI/SCT tuner combo kit thru my Ford dealer and they installed.
Ford Dealer told ME this does NOT void warranty...as they have done this upgrade to a few NEW/Unsold Mustang in the past...

I had my Boss on a dyno last week.....402rwhp :-)
Old 5/2/12, 02:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ace72ace
While it wont add horsepower, a lot of Boss owners are installing MGW shifter to replace the stock one. Ford didn't leave a lot of HP on the table with the Boss as the motor and exhaust as is flows quite well. Only when running full long tube headers and cat-less open exhaust have show big gains w/o a tune. Headers and cats w/o tune show about half the increase of the open pipes. Check out the kooks thread on this forum, lots of discussion and data there.

I was gung ho for investing the money in a full exhaust as I did not want an after market tune, until I realized that looking at the numbers with the 'catted' exhaust that it just wasn't worth the investment for the performance gain. I'm sure it will sound great, but if a fully installed system with ceramic coated headers runs between $2500-3000, I'll pass for now. I can upgrade just the mufflers for a few extra HP and better sound for 500-700$ max.

For me, an MGW, aluminum driveshaft, and upgraded stereo system (keeping stock head unit but upgrading speakers and adding amp) are the first things I will do with mine. Good luck with your mods, and welcome to the club.
This is the answer I was looking for! Thank you very much.

I have an MGW in my '90 Fox and I wouldn't dream of putting anything different in the Boss...it's absolutely perfect.
Old 5/2/12, 03:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Welcome to the family DRock9.
Old 5/2/12, 03:39 PM
Bullitt Member

You might be better off posing your questions directly to someone at Ford on the warranty issue. Here it's mostly opinions and interpretations not necessarily fact. All I can tell you is what my dealer told me when I inquired about the Trackey as I have the ESP on my car. He advised me against it.
Old 5/2/12, 05:13 PM
INKY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the site. Only things I have done so far are to remove the discs from the exhaust and install a new head unit, missed my Bluetooth and iPod controls.

Next on the list is a MGW shifter.
Old 5/2/12, 05:24 PM
DFV
Bullitt Member

Welcome to the tribe. I see you selected an example of the fastest Boss 302 - the CO. this color alone is good for an extra 5 mph top end and a .5 second reduction in 1/4 times.
Old 5/2/12, 05:29 PM
Cobra Member

Congrats on the car! Post Pics!
Old 5/2/12, 06:37 PM
GT Member

Wow! You guys are getting soft in your old age

Was expecting a flame war, glad to see different.

Trackey and warranty........this is my understanding of it. Your existing warranty is intact, if problem can be blamed on the trackey tune then your warranty falls back to 3-36000. ESP......personally I wouldn't waste my money as its debatable how trackey changes it.

Welcome and enjoy the new car.