Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

NAIAS

Search this Thread

Old 1/23/12, 05:43 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NAIAS

Went to the NAIAS in Detroit on Saturday and without a doubt Ford had the best display there. Mustangs were everywhere. The '13 Boss looks good but I do not like not being able to easily tell the difference between the street Boss and the LS like you could on the 12's. I also do not like Ford not leaving the gauges on the dash and the brace for the rear seat delete is now interior color. Like I told the Ford rep race cars do not have many of the creature comforts they are putting in the Boss line. If you want the toys buy a GT or another model. The highlight of the day was the dyno run. I had my mustang coat on and one of the models asked if I owned a Mustang and I told her I have an LS. She asked me if I would like to "ride" in the car in 15 minutes when they fired it up and did the dyno run.....I did not have to think twice to say yes. 140MPH in fourth gear. I talked to the person (Jonathan) who was the "driver" and he works for Miller motorsports and we had a great discussion about th track attack. It was a fantastic day.
Old 1/23/12, 12:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agree, Ford did have the best display this year, makes up for some terrible ones a few years back. Really loved the Ken Block augmented reality feature. Nicely done.

And I soooooo want a '13 Boss.
Old 1/23/12, 12:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by engineguy
Went to the NAIAS in Detroit on Saturday and without a doubt Ford had the best display there. Mustangs were everywhere. The '13 Boss looks good but I do not like not being able to easily tell the difference between the street Boss and the LS like you could on the 12's. I also do not like Ford not leaving the gauges on the dash and the brace for the rear seat delete is now interior color. Like I told the Ford rep race cars do not have many of the creature comforts they are putting in the Boss line. If you want the toys buy a GT or another model. The highlight of the day was the dyno run. I had my mustang coat on and one of the models asked if I owned a Mustang and I told her I have an LS. She asked me if I would like to "ride" in the car in 15 minutes when they fired it up and did the dyno run.....I did not have to think twice to say yes. 140MPH in fourth gear. I talked to the person (Jonathan) who was the "driver" and he works for Miller motorsports and we had a great discussion about th track attack. It was a fantastic day.
What toys did they put in the Boss? If you mean Sync and HID they aren't adding any noticeable weight and can come in really handy for those of us who would want to daily drive the Boss.
Old 1/23/12, 04:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think the 4.2" LCD screen with Track Apps is an awesome idea. While the gauges look great, it's nice having a screen right in front of you. Also, the Track Apps monitor more than 3 things like the gauge pod does on the 2012's.
Old 1/23/12, 05:57 PM
V6 Member

There is more than just the Sync/screen and HID's.....there is a lot of extra fluff that distinguishs it as a lesser track "only" orientative car .... for instance the light gadget that shoots the pony symble to the ground when you open the door at night and other nonsense, I really liked the Boss concept.....all performance no fluff,....if you liked gadgetry/comfort and performance there is always the Cobra....now the line is less defined, I think its the wrong move.....I'll keep my 012 LS thank you.

Last edited by cf6mech; 1/23/12 at 06:04 PM.
Old 1/23/12, 06:13 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by engineguy

Last year all the auto show pics and write ups I saw/read on here were great! Then came the NY auto show in April, like every year. And it was a real let down. No dyno for us. 1 locked Regular Boss. No LS. I hope they do better this year.
Old 1/23/12, 06:16 PM
DFV
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cf6mech
There is more than just the Sync/screen and HID's.....there is a lot of extra fluff that distinguishs it as a lesser track "only" orientative car .... for instance the light gadget that shoots the pony symble to the ground when you open the door at night and other nonsense, I really liked the Boss concept.....all performance no fluff,....if you liked gadgetry/comfort and performance there is always the Cobra....now the line is less defined, I think its the wrong move.....I'll keep my 012 LS thank you.
+1. One of the things I like most about my 2012 Boss is the fact that it is a Neanderthal in the 21st century. I'd even have preferred it with wind up windows, radio delete and without A/C (naah, strike that, an old f*rt like me needs A/C). The 2012 has all the luxury that I need.

Last edited by DFV; 1/23/12 at 06:17 PM.
Old 1/23/12, 06:46 PM
Bullitt Member

If you've been to the NY auto show you should understand why they keep the hot cars locked up. Too many parents let their kids jump all over the cars like they are a jungle jim in a playground. Imagine PlayPlace at McDonalds and you would not be too far off.
Old 1/23/12, 06:56 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by orng302
If you've been to the NY auto show you should understand why they keep the hot cars locked up. Too many parents let their kids jump all over the cars like they are a jungle jim in a playground. Imagine PlayPlace at McDonalds and you would not be too far off.
That and people steal the *****. That I get. What about the Dyno? And all the fanfare they do at the other shows. I think by April Fords done. The cars are old news
Old 1/23/12, 07:01 PM
Bullitt Member

I doubt that any manufacturer will put a dyno in at the Javits Center. As far as Ford being done by April, I believe you are right about that. It is just too close to the new car year to go to all that and trouble.
Old 1/24/12, 06:07 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by bpmurr
What toys did they put in the Boss? If you mean Sync and HID they aren't adding any noticeable weight and can come in really handy for those of us who would want to daily drive the Boss.
Not saying it would not be great for a daily driver but I build performance engines for a living and have been involved with performance cars for years. Ask anyone who builds their own performance car the usual reply is "if it does not make it go faster it is not included". Not that it would work on the Boss but I have seen guys even leave off the wipers. I have nothing against creature comforts and "toys" that are in the car but I would rather have seen Ford build the Boss as a true performance car without all the fluff.
Old 1/24/12, 10:39 AM
Cobra R Member

Anyone look at and compare the cutaway Boss and ZR1 motors? Lots of composites and plastics in the Ford piece. No wonder the Camaro weighs so much.
Old 1/27/12, 01:50 PM
BB3
Cobra Member

Here are some of my pics from the Detroit show....
Attached Images       
Old 1/27/12, 02:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2
Anyone look at and compare the cutaway Boss and ZR1 motors? Lots of composites and plastics in the Ford piece. No wonder the Camaro weighs so much.
Do you mean the ZL1 Camaro motor? I haven't seen a cutaway of that motor. Have a link?
Old 1/27/12, 02:49 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by BlackMamba03

Do you mean the ZL1 Camaro motor? I haven't seen a cutaway of that motor. Have a link?
No link. And no photos. Charged my camera battery before leaving for Detroit only to realize at the show I forgot to put it back in my camera. I'll see if my mate took pics.
Old 1/27/12, 02:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2
No link. And no photos. Charged my camera battery before leaving for Detroit only to realize at the show I forgot to put it back in my camera. I'll see if my mate took pics.
I won't be angry at you for forever. Keep us posted.