Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

MUST have Mods

Search this Thread

Old 4/21/13, 04:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MUST have Mods

So, the Boss has been out for a couple of years now, and I am sure over 25% of them have some sort of Modification. Some probably have worked out better than others, so, for those of you who have Modded your Boss, which ones worked, which ones did not, and if any, what is the must do Mod or Mods?

Dave
Old 4/21/13, 07:43 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MGW...............
Old 4/21/13, 08:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Quad exhaust restricter plate swap/remove--so cheap and simple to tune the sound a bit, ya just gotta do it.

All of my mods are track related, and all did their job very well. I wasn't the pioneer on anything--I just repeated what others already did.
I haven't gotten into springs/struts yet, but may be on the mod list next winter.

For some crazy reason, my Boss shifts just fine, so I'm not ready for an MGW either.
Old 4/22/13, 05:50 AM
V6 Member

Redline hood struts are a must have.
Old 4/22/13, 09:43 AM
GT Member

Passenger side catch can.
Old 4/22/13, 10:49 AM
Bullitt Member

For power: CAI + custom tune = 430ish RWHP(Mustang Dyno)

For suspension: heavier springs front and rear. Eibach Adj. front sway bar. Camber bolts(-2.5 to -3 degree camber). Tires! = Tight and flat handling with way less push.
Old 4/22/13, 05:42 PM
JPC
Bullitt Member

I love my Hurst shifter
I love how the LCA and KB arms have changed the turning radius feel
removing the side exhaust disks is a MUST
I love my Vorshlag cc plates at open track days like yesterday....easy to adjust
Old 4/23/13, 01:13 AM
Cobra Member

I only have a JLT pass side catch can ATM, but soon I want to get the MGW shifter, Trans cooler scoop, possibly the brake ducting, LCA's, and a CAI/Tune.
Old 4/23/13, 12:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Better LCA's, springs, lighter wheels, and a one piece drive shaft I would think are must haves.
Old 4/25/13, 12:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Brandon302
Better LCA's, springs, lighter wheels, and a one piece drive shaft I would think are must haves.

One piece drive shaft is a must have?
Old 4/25/13, 01:06 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Haven't seen anyone note the rear diff overflow reservoir... I've seen a couple guys put this in as the rear diff seems to spray fluid when it gets worked hard at the track.

My short list (granted it'll be on a 2014 GT, not Boss... but I have track intentions) is:
Track pads (Pagid RS-29's up front, RS-56 rear)
High temp (wet temp) fluid (Motul RBF 600 works)
Rear diff reservoir
Koni shocks/struts with lower/stiffer springs
camber/caster plates
GT500 axle-back (no performance but they sound awesome...)
18" wheels with Nitto NT01 tires

That's about it for now... I am expecting the car to be pretty solid as is for the track and street... might go with a Boss 302 intake manifold at some point, but I don't think I'll need much more power for a while
Old 4/25/13, 01:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by ConeBoss
One piece drive shaft is a must have?
I would think so, half or even less rotational mass on your drive train would be awesome.
Old 4/25/13, 09:08 PM
Cobra Member

Guys have broken the stock shaft at the drags with only a CAI, tune and exhaust upgrades upping the HP. You decide. Glad I have one.
Old 4/29/13, 12:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ace72ace
Guys have broken the stock shaft at the drags with only a CAI, tune and exhaust upgrades upping the HP. You decide. Glad I have one.
Wow! I am going to assume using a drag slick...which must have significant more stick than my 315 Hoosier A6. I have been launching mine hard with those mods for over a year almost every time I drive it with no issues.
Old 4/29/13, 07:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by ace72ace
With automatic or manual? It should be increased torque that gives problems for something like the driveshaft I'd think, as increased hp is typically in the higher RPM's where torque is below peak... that twisting force, I would think, would be the issue.

Granted the tunes and basic power mods will free up more torque, but over on the Boss forum, I haven't seen anything about broken driveshafts... all those cars are manuals and more are road raced compared with drag raced...
Old 4/29/13, 08:30 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

All the more reason if you're road racing to free up rotational mass.
Old 4/29/13, 09:35 PM

I've done this with the exception of the lighter wheels but they are going to happen soon. After driving my Boss for over a year now with 11k on the clock, I got tired of NOT being able to hook an go. I have installed the following:

Steeda Billet LCAs
Steeda adj. UCA w/mount
Steeda adl. PH rod
Steeda Boss springs
PST CF driveshaft @ 18.6 lbs.
Magnaflow Competition Boss exhaust

Next mods:
Light weight wheels...GA1's
LS brake duct kit
JLT catch can
LS front splitter
Rear wing but nothing ricer looking

The PST CF DS mod you can really feel on the butt dyno.
Old 4/30/13, 02:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Agree with BadBoss, you cant go wrong by installing LCA,UCA. Adj. PH...but if your going that far you should get "traction brackets" like the one Kenny Brown sells. They really help the car hook up with the geometry correction they give.

I'm still not sold on the drive shaft as a "must have" though. Yes, its benefits are clear. But, I would rank a lot of mods higher on the list. Also, can't say I have heard of anyone but Ace72 breaking the stock one, seem like a fringe case.
Old 4/30/13, 08:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by ConeBoss
Agree with BadBoss, you cant go wrong by installing LCA,UCA. Adj. PH...but if your going that far you should get "traction brackets" like the one Kenny Brown sells. They really help the car hook up with the geometry correction they give.

I'm still not sold on the drive shaft as a "must have" though. Yes, its benefits are clear. But, I would rank a lot of mods higher on the list. Also, can't say I have heard of anyone but Ace72 breaking the stock one, seem like a fringe case.
My push for the DS is to "add lightness" like Lotus would say. I think the Boss has all the power needed, so instead of adding power might as well reduce weight. I mean power is nice but losing weight doesn't just benefit acceleration so I feel like it is worth more.
Old 5/2/13, 06:01 PM

My push for the DS is to "add lightness" like Lotus would say. I think the Boss has all the power needed, so instead of adding power might as well reduce weight. I mean power is nice but losing weight doesn't just benefit acceleration so I feel like it is worth more.
My thoughts exactly. I really don't need more HP. I want to maximize the performance by eliminating as much driveline losses to the wheels as I can. The CF driveshaft is not a bang for the buck mod but there is a heck of a improvement that I can clearly feel. Much smoother and quicker RPMs. You go to pass and the car leaps forward. I'm mucho happy with it.

Quick Reply: MUST have Mods