Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Motor Trend 2012 Best Driver's Car

Search this Thread

Old 8/23/12, 01:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motor Trend 2012 Best Driver's Car

Thought that I would put it here, since it mentions the Boss, and how good the Boss is.

7th Place: Ford Shelby GT500
Carroll's Final Mustang Reminds us why we Love Cars

At last year's BDC, the Boss 302 Laguna Seca came in fifth place behind two excellent Porsches, the Nissan GT-R, and the Ferrari 458 Italia. More important, every person who drove it uttered some variation of "Best Mustang Ever!" While we all enjoyed the new and, let's be frank, ridiculously overpowered 662-hp Shelby (the last Mustang Carroll Shelby ever had a hand in), I didn't once hear anyone say it was the best Mustang ever. So, if you want the best-driving Mustang, buy the Boss. However, if you're looking for one frenzied, sweaty-palmed, giant smile of a good time at a (relatively) low, low price, Ford has just the hammer you're seeking.

Lago writes, "This is the performance-car bargain of the decade if all you're concerned about is horsepower, top speed, and quarter-mile acceleration. Driver confidence and braking? Who cares when you've got this much horsepower!?" Let's not leave out the 631 lb-ft of torque, which, as we know from the time we stuck one on a dyno, is actually underrated by about 30 lb-ft. The power, however you slice it, is monumental, and just like the Boss before it, the 2013 GT500 car can put all that power down. Once the tires are warmed up, that is. "Beware of cold tires," warns Mortara. "Once the tires get some heat in 'em, they work really well. This thing will bite you in the *** quickly if you don't respect the power and the torque." True dat.

Why seventh place and why behind the Camaro ZL1? Well, in the words of Scott Evans, "The GT500 is very good for a Mustang, but it's still a Mustang.

Personally, on our canyon run, I didn't like how much the rear of the car moved around. Chassis flex? Because after all, there's a $22,000 rental car under all that blistered snakeskin. Maybe. Or maybe it's the way the live-axle moves around. Either way, Evans notes, "Hit a bump mid-corner, and that rear end starts dancing around -- ruins your confidence." MacKenzie says, "In the canyons, it's all arms and elbows trying to stay on top of the thing." However, Mortara, Kiino, and Markus all preferred its back-road handling to the Camaro's, with Markus noting, "I'm impressed with how well-planted this Shelby is: never put a wheel wrong. I'd way sooner own this than the ZL1."

However, there's a reason we take cars to the track. The GT500's brakes simply aren't up to the job at hand. Randy experienced fade after half a lap and by the time I got into the car, the brakes were all but gone. With Evans riding as my passenger, I stupidly forgot about the lack of stopping power, and, rocketing from turn 4 to 5, I became a 12-year-old watching the needle climb. "125 miles per hour!" I shouted just about the time I realized I had to make a huge left-hander in about half a second. Foot to the floor, downshifting like crazy and praying to the car gods (I can't even imagine what poor Scott was doing), I got the Shelby slowed enough to stay on the track. I'm very thankful that the Shelby has such massive grip. Says Randy, "Fun car -- it just won't stop once the brakes get hot." Unfortunately for Ford, stopping is part of driving. That said, we all loved the Shelby because it was just so much fun. MacKenzie sums it up nicely: "It's loud, raucous, and rough-riding. Isn't that why you buy a Shelby?"

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...#ixzz24OtmiaTp
Old 8/23/12, 05:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Funny thing is guys who have tracked their GT500s aren't having brake issues like Randy. I wonder how hard that car had been driven prior to being handed to Randy.
Old 8/23/12, 05:30 PM
JPC
Bullitt Member

I'm surprised to hear about the brakes:
with 6piston fronts, I thought they would be up to the task of track time....1 lap and they done...WOW....
Old 8/23/12, 05:33 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bpmurr
Funny thing is guys who have tracked their GT500s aren't having brake issues like Randy. I wonder how hard that car had been driven prior to being handed to Randy.
Originally Posted by JPC
with 6piston fronts, I thought they would be up to the task of track time....1 lap and they done...WOW....
It's MotorTrend...enough said
Old 8/23/12, 06:34 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Or how hard Randy drives a car.
Old 8/23/12, 06:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read the article and generally agreed although I too would pick the Shelby ( and Boss ) over the ZL1. Much more fun. BUT, and it's a big BUT. I just drove the ZL1 convertible. First high performance convertible I've ever preferred over the coupe. And not by a little. Totally made the ZL1 into what was lacking. And engaging drivers car. Part of me hates to admit it. But I loved it. Feel sorry for the guys who bought the ZL coupe though. I will always thing as I suspect they will that they lost out in some way to the Shelby. The ragtop guys, they really don't need to feel that way. It's a great car... Probably the best Chevy ever. I'm still in love with my Boss but now I wish it did all that it did and that the roof went down.
Old 8/23/12, 06:53 PM
Bullitt Member

could have been they were burned up from the canyon runs prior to Laguna Seca, or just the fact that Randy drove the dog **** out of the car, and not many other people drive their brand new 2013 Shelby to the limit like he did.
Old 8/23/12, 06:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JPC
do you know what kind of pad compound Ford is using on the Shelbys? If its just a regular off the street compound they'd use on the standard Mustang then there's an issue. With a car that heavy and with that much power, if you want good brakes on track, they need to be squealing under 600* temps.
Old 8/23/12, 11:00 PM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
loved the video, a lot of great cars, loved seeing the gt500 up there! Yeah, it's motortrend, and we all know by driving our mustangs that it takes some time to understand how they handle.... it's a MUSCLE car, not a race car... Glad to see a mustang up there!
Old 8/24/12, 12:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

The PCar was voted the best...I want a 991 in a bad way.

Dave
Old 8/24/12, 04:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2
Or how hard Randy drives a car.
You mean Randy Pobst? He's currently 3rd overall in driver's points for GT class in the SCCA World Challenge Series. He was the overall winner at Mid-Ohio a few weeks ago.
Originally Posted by Dave07997S
The PCar was voted the best...I want a 991 in a bad way.
They are sweet. I'm waiting to see what the GT# and RS look like though.
Old 8/24/12, 06:22 AM
Bullitt Member

the only thing the shelby needs is better fluid before tracking it....but its motor trend so whatever. If they had used the data from pobst the data would be different but the editors of course have their way
Old 8/24/12, 07:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Last year, as I'm sure you all know, the LS B2 came in 5th.

05. Ford MUSTANG BOSS 302 LAGUNA SECA
The Pony We've Always Known Ford Could Build

"I'm a cheap bastard, so I'll take the Boss," declared executive editor Ed Loh. Quizzing Ed a bit, it's not just the Boss' low price (the least expensive of the 11) that has him sold. Rather it's the top-shelf level of performance that comes with this seeming well-drink of a Mustang. Don't be mistaken. The Boss represents every trick -- racing or otherwise -- Ford Racing and the SVT division have up their go-fast sleeves. Once in a while, a car is greater than the sum of its parts. This Mustang is greater still.

Loh's not alone in his Boss 302 appreciation. "This has to be the best Mustang ever built," said Pobst. "It's without question the best Mustang ever made," declared road test editor Scott Mortara. "I can't believe this is a Mustang," said Justin Bell. "Best Mustang EV-AH, hands down," chimed none other than own Frank Markus. "Best-handling Mustang I've ever driven. The best Mustang they've ever built, frankly," says Scott Evans. I agree with all of them. So what makes this particular 'Stang so dang special? Hint: It ain't that stupid splitter hanging off the nose.

No, the Boss Laguna Seca's secret lies in the tuning, both chassis and engine. Starting with the wonderful motivator under the Boss' power-domed hood, the Laguna Seca borrows the 5.0-liter Hi-Po V-8 from the regular-flavor Boss. We all love this lump. Power is (probably under) rated at a roundish 444 ponies, while torque is supposedly down by 10 lb-ft to 380. Supposedly. But you could never tell, and if you say you can, you're a liar. More important, you have all the torque you could ever want at virtually every point in the rev range. There's just so much thrust! This motor would be happy revving itself into the stratosphere. Plus, it sounds fantastic, if not better than fantastic.

Then there's the chassis, which really is the best part. "I cannot believe the way it hooks up!" yelled Randy. "They must have had John Force do the drag racing setup, because I virtually couldn't knock it loose." It's true; blasting out of turn 11 onto the main straight, you could go flat in the AWD cars, the Lotus Evora S, the cheater-tired Corvette, and the Boss 302 Laguna Seca. The other cars would oversteer, and the Lotus simply doesn't have enough gumption to break the back end loose. British TV shows will never admit it, but live axles do have certain advantages. Like being able to put more power down than an independent rear. Just the facts, ma'am. Just the facts. The front-end brake dive we've noticed on scores of other Mustangs was absent. You felt fully in control as you slowed to turn. Ford, finally! What a great feeling. And the Boss' turn-in was even better. The car seemed genuinely excited about leaping into a corner. Moreover, it felt balanced in mid-corner, something that can't be said for other Mustangs. We all came away super-impressed by the Boss 302 Laguna Seca, the least expensive car of the group. Febbo summed it up with, "Not only does it feel raw and slightly dangerous, but it actually feels like a world-class car." Why fifth place, then? Because the four cars in front of it are even better.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...#ixzz24TAiP7kx