Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

MGW Shifter Installation

Search this Thread

Old 12/17/11, 03:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did not have the front bushing installed correctly. It was caught too far forward when I installed the upper and lower halfs together which bound the whole unit up when it was tightened up.

fixed now, it's a great unit.

The vast difference to me, besides the shorter throw, is that has a "mechanical" feeling, like I imagine a gated shifter would feel.

very nice.
Old 12/18/11, 08:20 AM
Cobra Member

Thanks for the update. We all learn from others mistakes, esp. when modding. This is one of the few mods on my 'gotta have' list, along with some Kooks headers.
Old 12/18/11, 01:37 PM

Congratulations on your fix.............now go have fun with it!
Old 12/18/11, 01:47 PM
GT Member

I need a Santa present! I'm off with time to install.
Old 12/19/11, 08:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have nothing but good things to say about it. The seal is better than the stock unit, it's quieter than the stock unit. It feels better than the stock unit.

When I screwed up the installation the customer service was great.

It is mildly difficult to install, not because it is complicated, but because you are working in a very confined space. The hole in the transmission tunnel and over the driveshaft.

It would be easier on a lift, but I did mine on jackstands. Also, it was pretty **** cold out in the garage while doing it.
Old 12/19/11, 06:09 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dean_acheson
I did not have the front bushing installed correctly. It was caught too far forward when I installed the upper and lower halfs together which bound the whole unit up when it was tightened up.

fixed now, it's a great unit.

The vast difference to me, besides the shorter throw, is that has a "mechanical" feeling, like I imagine a gated shifter would feel.

very nice.
How easy is it to shift mine still feels pretty tight? I'm beginning to think maybe there's a problem with my install. I haven't let my wife drive my car since the install but I think it would be difficult for her!
Old 12/20/11, 01:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'll let everybody else comment on this also, but the shifting, at least to me, was not much different, resistence wise, than the stock shifter.

However, I did it for a week when it was very hard, but what I had done is installed the red bushing too far forward, and got it jammed into the front of the lower and upper halves, causing it to collapse onto the shifter rod, then once I tighened the upper and lower halves, it bound the shaft up, making the shifting very difficult.
Old 12/20/11, 08:51 PM

There should be no different resistance from the stock unit..........just a shorter throw and a more mechanical "click" (I'm sure there is a better word) from first to second and second to third............and way more positive gear engagement.
Old 1/22/12, 03:26 PM
GT Member

I installed the shiffter yesterday after having it for over a month. I love the short throw , positve click in each gear and centering centering spring. This is a great up grade and a quality product for my LS.
Old 1/23/12, 07:03 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by jim woodruff
I installed the shiffter yesterday after having it for over a month. I love the short throw , positve click in each gear and centering centering spring. This is a great up grade and a quality product for my LS.
pictures please.
Old 1/23/12, 07:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

I didn't do any installation videos/pictures in that you couldn't do a better job than George did in the ones that he posed and the instructions that he included with the unit.
Old 1/23/12, 09:46 AM

MGW shifter

I installed my MGW and it is a great shifter except occasionally it will not go into 2nd gear unless you REALLY pull on it and even then you sometimes have to wiggle it pull it and cuss at it. All othwe r gears are smooth! I have one in my 03 Cobra and it it flawless!
Old 1/23/12, 09:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Rick- that's odd. Can you think of anything that might have gone wrong?
Old 1/23/12, 10:08 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RicksBoss
I installed my MGW and it is a great shifter except occasionally it will not go into 2nd gear unless you REALLY pull on it and even then you sometimes have to wiggle it pull it and cuss at it. All othwe r gears are smooth! I have one in my 03 Cobra and it it flawless!
Is it possible you set the length of the throw too short or too long. I know they recommend a middle starting point.
Old 1/23/12, 10:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

I don't believe that that is adjustable on the MT-82 unit. I don't remember that as part of the assembly instructions on mine.
Old 1/23/12, 11:42 AM

Question MGW shifter

It is odd. I have a call in to George but he is out of town until midweek. I thought it might have been a burr and would work itself out but it is still there but only intermitiently. I tried to go off the line hard and clunk. Boy did that suck.
Old 1/23/12, 02:30 PM
GT Member

Dean, You are correct,the assy. instructions are top shelf. Ford and other vendors could take a lesson here on customer satisfaction and ease of installation. excellent job MGW. I had my lap top in the garage and it was like paint by numbers with a couple of beers.
Old 4/2/12, 05:55 PM
V6 Member

Installed my MGW in the Boss yesterday. All in all not too bad, but it would have been sooo much better on a lift or at least with a helper. Took me 5 hours total including a trip up the street for the 1/4 in. 10mm deep well socket somehow I didn't have, and a longer than necessary "test drive" just because, well, you know...

Instructions and video were great, but unfortunately the parts they showed on the work bench left me to figure out the best way to approach installing the shifter base, (in the car, under the car, etc.) The only difficult part was crawling under the car and back 50 times, which more than anything I should blame myself for lack of planning/patience.

Well worth the effort.
Old 4/15/12, 10:05 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
So, not to bring up an old thread but I didn't want to start a new. Let me set this up for you.

Just drove a GT, 400A yesterday. Completely disliked the shift action. Too stiff and odd shift action when engaging. Not sure what I felt when I drove the 2011 but I don't remember it being this way.
There was a red Boss that I sat in on the showroom floor and just rowed the cogs as it sat. The shifter in the Boss felt much better just sitting still. Possibly better leverage from the shifter used in the Boss.

So my question is, how much better do you guys think the Boss shifts over the GT and the MGW over the Boss?

Tangent: Oh, and being a shorty at 5'8" the Recaro seats left a lot for me to be desired. Perfect bolster, but weird head position. Looks like it is going to take some time to get used to. My arms didn't match up with the notches in the seat either. Which sucks. I guess the Japanese and the German cars are more ergonomically correct for me.
Old 4/15/12, 10:36 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Automagically
So my question is, how much better do you guys think the Boss shifts over the GT and the MGW over the boss?
besides the clutch plate, and maybe the shifter ***, there is no difference between the gt and the boss shifter. Also there have been changes to the mt-82 transmissions depending on when the mustang was built. Lastly a good number of boss owners have or are in the process of switching over to the mgw shifter because of how much better it is over the stock shifter. Something about small bushings and a plastic inside the oem shifter doesnt seem right. I cant really say how the mgw shifts yet because mine is being built and should be sent in a couple of weeks.

Quick Reply: MGW Shifter Installation