2012-2013 BOSS 302

LS owners who installed their splittes look inside please.......

Search this Thread

Old 12/7/11, 09:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS owners who installed their splittes look inside please.......

Did the bumper bracket come with the splitter kit or was it not needed? If so how many boxes total did the splitter kit come in? I thought my tech said there were two boxes with the kit. I am assuming one had the splitter and strut bars and the other was the bumper bracket...... Anyone know anything different? Thanks.
Old 12/7/11, 09:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by adam81
Did the bumper bracket come with the splitter kit or was it not needed? If so how many boxes total did the splitter kit come in? I thought my tech said there were two boxes with the kit. I am assuming one had the splitter and strut bars and the other was the bumper bracket...... Anyone know anything different? Thanks.
Not sure what you mean by "bumper bracket". Are talking about the thing the splitter struts thread into?
Old 12/7/11, 09:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My splitter and associated hardware was delivered in one box. The bumper bracket was already installed.
Old 12/7/11, 10:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Dean#4AI
Not sure what you mean by "bumper bracket". Are talking about the thing the splitter struts thread into?
Yes. Up through the holes on the front bumper. If you notice on Ford Racings website if you buy the splitter it says you must have the bumper bracket. So did our cars come with it already on or.....???

http://fordracingparts.com/parts/par...KeyField=12493

http://fordracingparts.com/parts/par...KeyField=12492

http://fordracingparts.com/parts/par...KeyField=12494
Old 12/7/11, 10:21 AM
Bullitt Member

If you bought a Laguna Seca, then the bumper bracket should already be on the car. If you bought a standard Boss or have a regular GT, then you have to pull the bumper cover, install the bracket, drill a hole (or two) and then reinstall the cover.
Old 12/7/11, 11:16 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JScheier
If you bought a Laguna Seca, then the bumper bracket should already be on the car. If you bought a standard Boss or have a regular GT, then you have to pull the bumper cover, install the bracket, drill a hole (or two) and then reinstall the cover.
I was able to pull the grille and install it. Two bumper bolts were short and they give you two longer ones with the kit to install. That is why it tells you take off the front bumper cover and padding. The other two bolts are long and I gave it a try to see, once the bracket was mounted on those I was able to get the nuts started by hand a few turns on the shorter bolts and got a few turns in tightening them.

While the longer bolts would be nice I have no doubt the bracket is secure as it is. On the GT you need to drill out the strut holes but on a Boss they are there already, LS or non-LS.
Old 12/7/11, 11:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
I was able to pull the grille and install it. Two bumper bolts were short and they give you two longer ones with the kit to install. That is why it tells you take off the front bumper cover and padding. The other two bolts are long and I gave it a try to see, once the bracket was mounted on those I was able to get the nuts started by hand a few turns on the shorter bolts and got a few turns in tightening them.

While the longer bolts would be nice I have no doubt the bracket is secure as it is. On the GT you need to drill out the strut holes but on a Boss they are there already, LS or non-LS.
Wow... you got it with just the grill removed. I've been looking at it and dreading the install because of the bumper pull... and my 5 year old doesn't have the attention span to do it for me
Old 12/7/11, 11:51 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Some pics here

http://bossmustangsonline.com/boss-3...ade)-splitter/ good close ups of the bolts about halfway down the page.

and here

https://themustangsource.com/f813/ne...2/#post6143945
Old 12/7/11, 10:57 PM
GT Member

Splitter was in one box and the rods and bolts were rolled up in some foam padding and taped. The bracket is already installed on the car so all you have to do is remove the splitter, replace the correct retainer clips, bolt it up, install the rods and level it. I recommend some blue Loctite on the screws in the rods and install the top end of the rods before you bolt on the splitter. It's easier to get the rod ends started without the splitter in the way.
Old 12/7/11, 11:01 PM
GT Member

Oh yeah, unless they have fixed it, the rods will start to discolor almost immediately once you drive it. Mine is a weekend car only, stored inside and never seen so much as a puddle and they started looking rusty in less than a month.
Old 12/8/11, 03:16 AM

Excuse my ignorancee, but on the LS does it come with the extra splitter or do you have to purchase it separately?
Old 12/8/11, 03:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by oldtimer50
Excuse my ignorancee, but on the LS does it come with the extra splitter or do you have to purchase it separately?
The LS splitter, brake duct kit, and transmission cooler scoop are sent in a separate box (a BIG one) to the dealer. The installation cost of the brake duct and trans scoop are free. the dealer is not supposed to install the splitter. The LS is shipped from the factory with the standard Boss splitter already on the car.
Old 12/8/11, 03:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ I'd be willing to bet it's because the big LS splitter would get damaged moving the car onto/off of the train car and tractor-trailer... just a SWAG, though.
Old 12/8/11, 09:50 PM
GT Member

No, my understanding is that it has to do with crash testing regulations. Since the splitter would be the first thing that hit in front impact crash testing, they would have had to crash test a Boss with the splitter and it would have had to do less than X number of dollars of damage at X speed or something. Instead of that, they just labeled it as off road and said that it could void your warranty and that it should only be installed by the purchaser of the vehicle.