2012-2013 BOSS 302

Looking for lightweight exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 10/27/11, 07:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is what I thought. Just had to ask. Thanks guys!
Old 11/2/11, 04:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Adam ,
D force wheels are coming out with lightweight wheels .I am currently trying to get him to make 19’s.18 and 20 lbs .I too am looking to save weight with the muffler system.Please keep me informed!
Old 11/2/11, 06:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by roketman
Adam ,
D force wheels are coming out with lightweight wheels .I am currently trying to get him to make 19’s.18 and 20 lbs .I too am looking to save weight with the muffler system.Please keep me informed!
Cool, I have D-Force rims for my M3. They are light. The rims and tires on the Boss fell like truck tires in comparison. Any idea on the ETA for the rims?
Old 11/2/11, 08:07 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Adam ,
These looks to be just like Forgestar wheels and they already have fitment for our Mustangs.

http://dforcewheels.com/pages/products.php

http://www.forgestar.com/v2/

http://www.elementwheels.com/proddet...90fs-f14gm1910

Last edited by 5 DOT 0; 11/2/11 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11/2/11, 09:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Adam ,
Thanks for the heads up! Let me know what you come up with...

For h-pipe back exhaust (I want to retain my warranty so I can't do anything with the h pipe or cats at this time...) I am going with Stainless Works retro chambered 3 inch exhaust. Here is a link:

http://www.stainlessworks.net/produc...chambered.html

Here is a link to some videos on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ainless+works+

The whole exhaust (again everything behind the h-pipe) saves around 40 pounds.....
Old 11/2/11, 09:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Akropovic makes titanium mufflers. But not the whole exhaust for a Mustang.
Old 11/2/11, 09:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 908ssp
Akropovic makes titanium mufflers. But not the whole exhaust for a Mustang.
Actually they do.... However it includes a catless x-pipe.
Old 11/3/11, 08:37 AM
Bullitt Member

just bought the corsa extreme .
Old 11/3/11, 09:29 AM
Bullitt Member

just bought the corsa extreme .
Cloud9 runs those and is very happy with them...
Old 11/3/11, 01:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by adam81
Actually they do.... However it includes a catless x-pipe.
Interesting that must be new since the last time I visited the site.
Old 11/3/11, 05:35 PM
Bullitt Member

I went with the Corsa because I was afraid of being to loud at Limerock Park .They have a 92db sound limit.The Corsa is still like a 30 lb savings.The wheels will be the biggie .Unsprung weight is a killer!
The way I see it ,when it comes to street /track cars is ;
Brakes 1st you must have track rotors ,pads fluid and steel brake lines.
Keeping everything cool is my next priority engine tranny,diff,brakes
next is reducing unsprung weight.The biggest easy improvements are wheels,tires and yes the muffler.
Harnesses are also a must.
This changes make for an overall better car.Handling ,braking and cornering .This is what matters to me.I’m a track guy.
Thing I don’t mess with .
Engine mods,aerodynamics .You can’t out smart the factory guys.They spend countless hours perfecting this stuff in a controlled environment .
my 02
Old 11/4/11, 11:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I kept my stock mufflers and sidepipe plates if I ever need to go to a track with a db limit. What a bunch of BS db limits are though. Typically from people that decided to build their houses right next to race tracks, then complain about the noise. Idiots.

We have a track (Arizona Motorsports Park) out here that was shut down due to noise complaints from nearby housing developers. It was recently reopened after those developers went belly-up in '09; the track now has a 94db limit. The funny thing is, the track is literally right next to Luke AFB in Glendale AZ. On top of that, homeowners near the AFB tried to get the base shut down after they built their houses next to a pre-existing AFB and F16 takeoffs were rattling their houses. Idiots.

Last edited by 06GT; 11/4/11 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11/6/11, 05:30 AM
Bullitt Member

I went with the Corsa because I was afraid of being to loud at Limerock Park .They have a 92db sound limit.The Corsa is still like a 30 lb savings.The wheels will be the biggie .Unsprung weight is a killer!
The way I see it ,when it comes to street /track cars is ;
Brakes 1st you must have track rotors ,pads fluid and steel brake lines.
Keeping everything cool is my next priority engine tranny,diff,brakes
next is reducing unsprung weight.The biggest easy improvements are wheels,tires and yes the muffler.
Harnesses are also a must.
This changes make for an overall better car.Handling ,braking and cornering .This is what matters to me.I'm a track guy.
Thing I don't mess with .
Engine mods,aerodynamics .You can't out smart the factory guys.They spend countless hours perfecting this stuff in a controlled environment .
my 02
What do you mean by 'Harnesses a must', newbie question maybe, but i am curious?
Old 11/6/11, 07:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LadyBoss302
What do you mean by 'Harnesses a must', newbie question maybe, but i am curious?
He is talking about a shoulder and lap harness system like a four point or five point that replaces the stock seat belt with a "racecar" setup. It glues you to the seat and is much much safer especially when used with a hans device. A hans device is basically a neck brace that attaches to your helmet that allows for very limited head and neck movement during an impact.
Old 11/6/11, 10:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by adam81

He is talking about a shoulder and lap harness system like a four point or five point that replaces the stock seat belt with a "racecar" setup. It glues you to the seat and is much much safer especially when used with a hans device. A hans device is basically a neck brace that attaches to your helmet that allows for very limited head and neck movement during an impact.
Ah, ok, but doesn't the harness race car setup require also a roll cage or roll bar setup so you can get out in the event of a crash.
Old 11/6/11, 10:33 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Ah, ok, but doesn't the harness race car setup require also a roll cage or roll bar setup so you can get out in the event of a crash.
Someone posted on another thread to avoid installing a harness without a roll bar. The harness will hold you in an upright position if you roll and the roof will cave in on your head. OEM shoulder belts will let your body go sideways as the roof pushes down.
Old 11/6/11, 10:59 AM
Bullitt Member

There are different thoughts on the need of a cage setup with a harness system. There are many experienced and knowledgeable people who run harnesses without cages....and then there are many experienced and knowledgeable people who will only run a harness with a cage...

The biggest danger in running a harness without a cage is in a roll over incident where the roof caves in. The harness system will keep you up right potentially damaging your neck in this case.

Some people elect to run a harness bar instead of a cage. A harness bar does nothing more than provide a suitable place to mount your harnesses. Here is one that works in a Boss.

http://www.tpsmotorsports.com/mustan...ar-system.html
Old 11/6/11, 01:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Interesting info. Because i originally wanted the harness in my Boss and didn't know much about it. I saw a BOSS 302S and then figured I couldn't do it without the roll cage. I like the bar but i doubt that would add much in terms of strength, as you say its not the job of the bar i am very short 5 foot. I wonder if that means there is less of a chance that if I was in a flipped car the roof cave in would keep me from getting out. Does the harness itself keep you glued in the seat better than a OEM seat belt in terms of your front to back movement under really hard breaking.
Old 11/6/11, 01:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikes5.0
Magnaflow comp catback great exhaust, it really sounds amazing with the new 4 valve 5.0.

Magnaflow - 43.62
Stock - 71.40

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec.../photo_09.html
Another vote for this exhaust. I run it on my car, very much lighter than the stock catback, and I love the sound (especially once the car is warm)
Old 11/6/11, 02:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Interesting info. Because i originally wanted the harness in my Boss and didn't know much about it. I saw a BOSS 302S and then figured I couldn't do it without the roll cage. I like the bar but i doubt that would add much in terms of strength, as you say its not the job of the bar i am very short 5 foot. I wonder if that means there is less of a chance that if I was in a flipped car the roof cave in would keep me from getting out. Does the harness itself keep you glued in the seat better than a OEM seat belt in terms of your front to back movement under really hard breaking.
By the sounds of it the harness bar would be ideal for you. The harnesses when cinched down tightly and correctly will keep you VERY firmly planted in your seat both under heavy braking and lateral g force. You will not budge at all..... It will behave the exact same way "as in a race car".

The problem with harnesses is not getting out of the car in any situation. The problem is the harnesses hold you so firmly in place that if the roof would collapse your body would not be pushed and move with the direction of the roof nor would you be able to move. It would stay exactly where it is regardless of what the car is doing around you.....

Quick Reply: Looking for lightweight exhaust...